Menu

Ahhh! Spelling

SquirrellyMama

Do I teach spelling to a 7 yr old boy who isn't reading well yet or do I focus on phonics.

Right now I'm using Sequential Spelling 1 with my 9 yr old dd and my 7 yr old ds. My dd loves it and my ds hates it. He wants to go back to memorizing lists and tests. I tried it with him and he wasn't remembering the words after tests. We were using Spelling City and my own lists so maybe I wasn't getting enough practice for him.

I'm wondering if I should just lay off spelling right now and start again next year with a spelling list and test program or maybe try Sequential Spelling for 3rd grade for him.

I'm just so happy I've found a program that is working with dd and was hoping to combine them in this area but maybe it just won't work.

He is a very wiggly boy who needs lots of hands on activities. I thought SS would work just because it can be done quickly and there aren't any tests to study for.

I'll search the boards and review sites for other spelling programs. Right now I just need to decide whether I'll stop spelling for him and concentrate on phonics or make him push through it this year.

Kelly

Spelling for my 7 year old is more of an afterthought at this point & isn't of great importance to me yet, as he's only in first grade. Our priority is with reading, math, and writing (mainly copywork & short dictations). He covers other subjects of course, but my biggest concern is with the 3 R's. His CLE LTR does incorporate some spelling & I use short dication passages from his LTR books as well. Next year (in 2nd grade) I will focus a little more on spelling. We'll use Spelling Plus, which works well with my 9 year old. Personally, Sequential Spelling did not work well with my daughter at age 7. It became too difficult for her. Perhaps super teacher worksheets would be a better fit for your son, since he prefers lists (it's free): http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/spelling-levela.html Since he's wiggly (like my son), you could buy or make letter tiles to learn the words, let him use a whiteboard, write in shaving cream, use a chalk board, and/or use Spelling City to make it fun.

Susan

I think I would hold off on spelling until he's reading well and further into his phonics, OR use a Spalding-based spelling program that uses spelling to teach reading.

I have SS1 here on my shelf and was thinking about using it for my oldest, but then I realized that it says to start in 2nd grade, and after looking at it, I decided it'd be better to hold off for my son, even though he is pretty good at spelling and he is reading at about a 4th grade level. He could probably do the early days of SS1, but I think it'd be a lot more work for him at this point than it will be in another couple years. I switched to R&S Spelling 2 (he's in grade 1, but the words look about right for grade 1 spelling), and I think it will work much better. We haven't started yet though, so it's only speculation at this point. ;)

He'll be very happy to quit using SS. I think it did get too hard for him even though I keep telling him he doesn't have to worry about getting them wrong because they are corrected after each word. I'll keep using it for dd since she is really loving it. By loving it I mean it is better than a kick in the head and using spelling lists.

Kelly