Menu

Menu for Christmas dinner (or holiday dinner or whatever you want to call it.)

I'm toying with a surf and turf menu. Ds wants red snapper, dd hates seafood. So, I'm thinking snapper and filet mignon (dd can just not have the fish), maybe baked potatoes and steamed broccoli with a lemon butter sauce. For dessert, my own version of Candy Cane pie.

What are you having?

Last year, DH made duck for Christmas Eve dinner, and the plan was to have ham for Christmas dinner. We were having so much fun relaxing, we never got around to cooking the ham. I can't even remember what we ate.

This year, I'm trying to convince DH to have a big dinner on Christmas Eve (although I'd prefer not duck :tongue_smilie:) and then just have appetizers on Christmas Day. I'm thinking easy things, like cold shrimp, a variety of cheeses with good bread, some sausage, and some raw vegetables.

I don't think I've convinced him quite yet, but I still have time. He doesn't like to think about these things too far ahead.

(It's a real blessing having a DH who does the bulk of the cooking, but it does mean I don't get my way all the time. :lol:)

This year, I'm trying to convince DH to have a big dinner on Christmas Eve (although I'd prefer not duck :tongue_smilie:) and then just have appetizers on Christmas Day. I'm thinking easy things, like cold shrimp, a variety of cheeses with good bread, some sausage, and some raw vegetables.

That is what we have been doing since DS's second Christmas. Our kitchen if off from the rest of the house and I hated missing out on all the action while off in the kitchen cooking. So now I just plan for heavy appetizers all day. If the weather is going to be good, we may grill steaks later in the day. Otherwise, we are fine with munchies.

Hallacas, a Venezuelan tamale with a stew of pork, chicken, beef, olives, raisins and onions wrapped in platain leaves and boiled. They're delicious. We'll also have Pan de Jamon, sweet bread rolled with ham, olives and raisins, and either pernil (pork roast) or turkey. We might also make Ensalada de Gallina which is a souped-up chicken salad with peas, carrots and peppers. The hallacas and pan de jamon are too labor intensive to make ourselves since we'll be at bil's house, so we'll buy them from a Venezuelan bakery. We might also get some yummy seafood based appetizers if my Chilean sil isn't too busy. Food is one of the major highlights of Christmas and New Year in our family.

We're having Christmas Eve luncheon with my mom, my sister and brother-in-law, and my grandmother. My mother gets a free turkey from her office, so she's bringing that. My sister and grandmother are sorting out bread and desserts between them. I'm in charge of sides. I plan to fix mashed potatoes and gravy, the eponymous stuffing/dressing/whatever you call it, and some sort of veggie casserole. I have to be careful because my grandmother can't have dairy, gluten or raw veggies.

On Christmas Day, it'll be just the four of us. My husband and kids are gunning for duck, and I plan to saute green beans, roast butternut squash, and whip up a couple other dishes to go with it. Haven't entirely decided yet.

I usually put together lasagna the day before and just pop it in the oven. I do not want to be in the kitchen on Christmas day. Not sure what we'll do for Christmas Eve. We've been known to do KFC with some sides. The girls think that's a special treat. I'm tempted to do prime rib and yorkies (yorkshire pudding) which was the special dinner when I was a kid, but I'm afraid I would be the only one to eat it.

Christmas Eve is our big dinner. We are having what we always have because one turkey dinner a year is enough for me, and I am not partial to ham. Yes, there are only 3 choices :-).

Crown rib

Yorkshire Pudding, gravy

Broccoli

Green Bean Casserole

Roasted sweet potatoes

Mashed potatoes, if requested

Yeast Rolls

Dessert: Christmas cookies, Yule log, mince pie, pecan pie

Edited by RoughCollie

baked brie and raspberry sauce

crudite

pickle tray and cheeses

butternut squash soup with croutons and cheve

macaroni of some kind

cauliflower au gratin -I think. I'm so sick of veggies. we eat a lot of them and I feel like there are no new ones. :glare:

wild rice mix

lamb, turkey and ham. Because I can't decide. And the crowd, she is growing.

cookies

tiramisu

flan

We are doing: Fish (probably Salmon) and Turkey for the main dish, mashed potatoes, sweet potato and apple casserole, greens of some sort (broccoli or string beans most likely), dressing, gravy, rolls, waldorf salad, cranberry sauce, and macaroni and cheese. We'll have pumpkin pie for desert and cookies. We may make a second pie too, depending on how motivated we feel.

Christmas is really our Thanksgiving meal with my in-laws since we do Thanksgiving with my parents every year, so we tend to go for a fairly traditional Thanksgiving type meal.

I'm toying with a surf and turf menu. Ds wants red snapper, dd hates seafood. So, I'm thinking snapper and filet mignon (dd can just not have the fish), maybe baked potatoes and steamed broccoli with a lemon butter sauce. For dessert, my own version of Candy Cane pie.

What are you having?

We're having a standing rib roast. I will make cranberry sauce for sure. I'm thinking of sweet potatoes with sage and apple as a side. I want to have 2 salads as well, but I don't know what.

Pumpkin pie for dessert (from scratch). It's cliché, I know, but it is the favourite of all three of us.