Menu

Science programs you use?

Ummsamiyah

I am currently using Moving beyond the page and while it is fun and keeps us entertained my DD LOVES science. I would like to find something that is a little more challenging as a supplement like 2 times a week. I like using MBTP because it keeps her little hands active and we get to discuss things and such but it is really not for advanced learners as far the breadth of the work. any suggestions? DD is 9.

So I came across Dr. Dave's manuals, does anyone have any experience with them? I think they are relatively new.

Edited by Ummsamiyah
found something!

I will be using BFSU next year (I don't have the time to plan it this year as I was pg & now have a newborn). This year I'm just following dd's lead, but BFSU actually expects kids to THINK and UNDERSTAND about science. He just came out with one for around your dd's age and the pdf version is only $5, I think? Let me check.

ETA: Here's the book, still looking for that pdf. http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Science-Education-Foundations-Understanding/dp/1432762362

ETA2: Found it! Ebook, $5!! http://outskirtspress.com/webpage.php?isbn=9781432762360

Edited by LittleIzumi

I'm using Apologia Zoology 2, Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry 1, and Real Science 4 Kids Physics 1 for my 10 and 8 year olds this year. They are enjoying them. My DD wanted to stick with the Apologia. DS begged for Chemistry and Physics so we ended up with all three. It's keeping us busy.

We are currently using Sonlight Science K. My big girl really enjoys it and I plan on using it again AFTER a possible detour to Noeo Chemistry I (she is showing interest in Chemistry).

Your dd is much older but Sonlight has all sorts of packages for different age ranges. It also follows a 4 or 5 day schedule but you can easily tailor it to your needs (we have the 4 day and sometimes we only get to it 3 days a week and sometimes 5 plus days a week!). It is pricey but you get a lot of stuff with it.

My big girl also enjoys Magic School Bus materials (anything - chapter books, readers, picture books, DVDs). Sometimes I try to align them with what we are learning in Sonlight but most of the time I read whichever.

I will be using BFSU next year (I don't have the time to plan it this year as I was pg & now have a newborn). This year I'm just following dd's lead, but BFSU actually expects kids to THINK and UNDERSTAND about science. He just came out with one for around your dd's age and the pdf version is only $5, I think? Let me check.

ETA: Here's the book, still looking for that pdf. http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Science-Education-Foundations-Understanding/dp/1432762362

ETA2: Found it! Ebook, $5!! http://outskirtspress.com/webpage.php?isbn=9781432762360

OOH....this one looks interesting.

I will definitely check them all out. DD really wants to do chemistry I am just intimidated by the thought of teaching it to her!

I am using Great Science Adventures. We used GSA Space the first trimester and we are using GSA Human Body now in the 2nd trimester. I plan to use GSA Tools and Technology third trimester.

First semester we supplemented with videos, starchild and The International Astonomical Union sites.

The semester we are supplementing with The Human Body Book and DVD.

Third semester I plan to supplement with The New Way Things Work. Macaulay, who wrote The New Way Things Work also wrote The Way We Work which may be more appropriate for this age range, but I already owned the DK title.

GSA can easily be done 2 days a week, but I don't know that it will give depth. GSA is a great topic guide, but our meat is in our supplements. Instead of a curriculum you may just want to get good books or experiment kits on topics that interest her.

HTH-

Mandy

We're doing unit studies in physics this year using Prentice Hall Science Explorer, Singapore My Pals are Here Science 5/6, kits from the Young Scientist's Club, library resources, and lots of field trips to local science museums like the Exploratorium, the Lawrence Hall of Science, and the Tech Museum.

Last year we did chemistry using Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry.

Next year we're back to biology in the cycle, and I'm leaning towards continuing on with PHSE and MPH. Possibly Singapore Biology Matters but that might be too advanced.

I really see science as a bit extracurricular and "fun" at the elementary level. We don't have a formal program. My kids pick nonfiction reading material of interest and sometimes it is science-related. They attend a homeschool science class twice a month at the children's science center.

Other than that.. we are very opportunistic about science. We learn as we are curious about things. My DH is a physicist and we do a lot of fun activities related to science, and I am a GS leader and we do many science and engineering related activities in scouts as well.

But I don't kid myself - science is not *really* a subject of study until you have the math to back it up. But then, as a science-y family the kinds of things most kids study in "science" is part of our routine family activities and fun. Watching Mythbusters or "How it's Made" as a family, or making a bottle rocket, or having DH bring some dry ice home from work, or going on a nature hike and identifying items in nature, are just a natural part of our lives.

I really see science as a bit extracurricular and "fun" at the elementary level. We don't have a formal program. My kids pick nonfiction reading material of interest and sometimes it is science-related. They attend a homeschool science class twice a month at the children's science center.

Other than that.. we are very opportunistic about science. We learn as we are curious about things. My DH is a physicist and we do a lot of fun activities related to science, and I am a GS leader and we do many science and engineering related activities in scouts as well.

But I don't kid myself - science is not *really* a subject of study until you have the math to back it up. But then, as a science-y family the kinds of things most kids study in "science" is part of our routine family activities and fun. Watching Mythbusters or "How it's Made" as a family, or making a bottle rocket, or having DH bring some dry ice home from work, or going on a nature hike and identifying items in nature, are just a natural part of our lives.

WOW! That sounds like so much fun. Can I live with you? :tongue_smilie:

• 6 months later...

We are loving NOEO chem at our house. We are running levels 1 and 2 concurrently for DS7 and DS10. I weave in the text only from RS4K, because I like how it is written, and some additional experiments just for fun from the Science Wiz kits and Thames and Kosmos C3000.

The course doesn't call for it, but I have the kids balance equations as we write up (or draw for DS7) lab reports. The. Chem 2 course does a nice job with filling electron shells, and the experiments are so much fun, the other kids in the neighborhood call to let me know their school/camp schedules so we can plan around them to allow a crowd to be here.

Jen

http://Http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

I'm doing things like this:

Biomes study

Botany study

These are not grade-level studies, but they are studies that work well for my boys. They were designed to dig deep into topics and focus on seeing and doing rather than reading and writing. There are books in the studies, but they are just a jumping off point to seeing and experiencing what was written. The books are probably mostly on an upper elementary+ level.