Menu

Poor performance on standardized tests

In WA we're required to test every year. Today I sat with my son as he tested and he did not do well. :( Now, I am a firm believer that test scores aren't an accurate reflection of what a kid knows. However, the ability to understand a question and answer it accurately is a skill that my son apparently lacks. If you were in this situation, would you do something to work on this? Oh yeah, he did 3 tests in a row. He did fine on the first one and badly on the last two. So that may be a factor--he may have just been tired. But I don't think that was all of it.

In WA we're required to test every year. Today I sat with my son as he tested and he did not do well. :( Now, I am a firm believer that test scores aren't an accurate reflection of what a kid knows. However, the ability to understand a question and answer it accurately is a skill that my son apparently lacks. If you were in this situation, would you do something to work on this? Oh yeah, he did 3 tests in a row. He did fine on the first one and badly on the last two. So that may be a factor--he may have just been tired. But I don't think that was all of it.

Do you actually have the scores? Or are you basing this on the fact that you saw hime get some questions wrong?

I ask because many tests are designed for some questions to be very difficult. It helps give the spread of abilities.

My son, 12, has struggled with what you describe. He just doesn't understand what is being asked sometimes, even though he knows the material. I realized that I am very quick to reword things for him when he doesn't understand right away. I had to back off and let him figure things out. It took a while, but he improved a good deal in this area.

As far as I can tell, he was <10th %ile for mid-year reading and math. He was 50th %ile for mid-year language usasge. This is based on info from 2008, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much if at all.

He was answering really easy questions wrong. If I had been able to coach him a little, he'd have gotten them right. If someone had been reading the questions to him, he probably would have been fine. He did better last year on the early elementary version of the test.

He is the one of my kids who has resisted formal academics the most. He is doing far better this year than he has in previous years, but he's just finishing MUS Beta (and still needs to review his subtraction facts to really get them down before we can move on), he's barely reading independently, etc. This is the best year we've had so far because I finally feel like I've gotten his curriculum completely tailored to his learning style. Maybe that's why the low scores are so discouraging--he's made huge strides this year, and school is finally not a battle.

My son, 12, has struggled with what you describe. He just doesn't understand what is being asked sometimes, even though he knows the material. I realized that I am very quick to reword things for him when he doesn't understand right away. I had to back off and let him figure things out. It took a while, but he improved a good deal in this area.

Yeah, I can see that potentially being the issue for us. That and he's very mommy-dependent in his schooling. He likes me right by his side every step of the way, reading to him, asking the questions, etc. On one hand, I'd love for him to be more independent, but on the other hand, I just don't think he's ready. I pushed him in that area for a long time, and now I'm finding that I just have to do it with him and walk that fine line between working together and thinking for him.

Yes, he's 8...he did test last year, and we did it all at once then too, but the test was read to him and colorful and much more approachable. So I think it probably was the combination of the fatigue and his maturity level and learning style. Regardless, I've decided I can probably hit the pause button on my freakout until he's a bit older...

he didn't do that well on his IOWA testing. He didn't really care about it at that point and just wanted to get done so he could do something else. His scores got considerably better the next time he took it, a couple years later. You say that your son is just able to do his work independently. I think that is a huge factor in how he did on the test. With continued instruction on your part and maturity on his part, I'm sure he'll do better next time.

I have a son who is really irritated by some wording on parts of tests. It is because they are worded very poorly, and even I would have trouble figuring out what it is they are wanting.

If he knows more than the test scores are showing, and you know he is having trouble figuring out the questions... get a few practice tests and work on how those questions work. Some kids are too literal, and don't realize that sometimes the "real" right answer isn't on there... but there is a right answer.

If you have to do this testing, then you will just need to work on test prep. Brick and Mortar schools do it all the time. My friend's son goes to an "excellent" rated school and every day they do a whole page of test prep or they can't go to recess. No wonder they do well on tests.

Remember, those tests are silly. :D Don't sweat it too much.

I hate the wording on the tests as well. I was reading the published 2008 Math FCAT for 7th grade (mind you - I went all the way through calculus....) and had a hard time with some of the questions! It is as if they want to intentionally confuse the kid, rather than just test his math abilities.

I agree that it is probably a maturity issue - especially since you have been happy with the school year. How he is doing daily is FAR more important than those silly tests.

Take breaks between tests and his independent reading ability into account. Once he is reading fluently with ease, the tests become easier.

Yes, he's 8...he did test last year, and we did it all at once then too, but the test was read to him and colorful and much more approachable. So I think it probably was the combination of the fatigue and his maturity level and learning style. Regardless, I've decided I can probably hit the pause button on my freakout until he's a bit older...
:iagree:

And the wording on the tests are often intentionally confusing to many test takers. It's only a test, but it can frustrate many a student, mom and teacher.

Thanks everyone! With anyone else I think I can put those tests in perspective (it's only one way of measuring intelligence, and not terribly accurate in some cases), but with my own kid it's hard not to see it as a judgment on my son's abilities (or mine as a teacher/parent). I've always known in my heart that we're just off to a slow start and that he'll be easier to teach when he's older, especially if I don't put too much pressure on him now or exasperate him with unrealistic expectations.