Menu

Does anyone stop grammar after grade 8?

I did with my oldest but I regret it. I don't think he had made it far enough in grammar to stop. Perhaps if he'd done through R&S 8, I would feel differently.

With my others, we are continuing on. My goal is to get through at least R&S 8 or 9. Since we've transitioned to R&S in middle school years (picking up R&S 6 in 7th grade), we're in effect one year behind.

I don't mind doing grammar in 9th or 10th grades. But by 11th grade, there is just too much to keep going. So we'll stop in 10th for certain.

Lisa

We work through Warriner's Third Course (9th grade) grammar book starting in 8th grade. When we are done with that, we're done with grammar except on an as-needed basis.

This is exactly what my high school did many moons ago. Little did I know then that I thought my high school's approach to grammar in high school was so good that I would replicate it!

(Does anyone actually use the subjunctive nowadays, or is its primary use in Latin and French nowadays? I have gotten into so many mock-arguments over people correcting me when I say, "If I were....."!)

To me it depends on your grammar goals and whether you've reached them by high school. I'm planning on following SWB's progression, which has you finishing up the "learning to diagram sentences"/technical-grammar-analysis part of grammar study by high school. But you don't stop there - in high school you extend it by learning about all the rhetorical effects of all those different ways to write a sentence that you learned in the logic years. So you still "study grammar", and you still diagram sentences, but as part of a larger study of rhetoric, instead of as an end in itself.

We only do review once every other week - it takes about an hour - using an Analytical Grammar High School Review book.

I just ordered a couple of those today.

I had planned to do Analytical Grammar on into high school, but dd went ahead and did ALL of it, including all of the reviews sessions "for fun" over the summer. I really do not like grammar, so I'm still puzzled by this behavior.

dd went ahead and did ALL of it, including all of the reviews sessions "for fun" over the summer. I really do not like grammar, so I'm still puzzled by this behavior.

:lol:

But as for the question, I think it depends on the child.

My oldest dd needed to spend time on other things, as she had mastered grammar by high school. She was not a kid who needed review, she had either learned something thoroughly or not at all.

My youngest doesn't need to spend time on parts of speech, but there are some clauses that he needs to work on. And I'm really liking the assignments in MFW's Smarr guide, where he looks at his *own* essays and evaluates his use of different parts of speech. Not sure I'll have him do a lot of review of the basics unless I see a need.

Julie

If your child plans on taking the SAT or ACT then they should continue grammar! Even if they have got it down in 8th grade - they forget and it is on the tests.

Barb

I'm definitely continuing with DD. She may end up majoring in English in college, so I think it will be good for her to have a strong knowledge of grammar.

I may drop it for DS, but I haven't decided yet.

We're doing R&S 6 this year (7th and 8th grade kids) and I plan to do through R&S 8, covering one year of R&S in 2 years of school. DD could conceivably do R&S 9 as a senior if I continue that plan.

(Does anyone actually use the subjunctive nowadays, or is its primary use in Latin and French nowadays? I have gotten into so many mock-arguments over people correcting me when I say, "If I were....."!)

I use the subjunctive and impose it upon my son, but I am an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to grammar....

I use the subjunctive and impose it upon my son, but I am an old fuddy-duddy when it comes to grammar....

i use it, and I am CLUELESS about grammar.

Gwen, didn't those naysayers ever see Fiddler on the Roof? "If I were a rich man/ daidle deedle daidle ...." Heck, even Bruce Springsteen sings "I wish I were blind...."

I know WTM recommends continuing grammar...I wonder if anyone stops.

We did a pretty thorough (I hope) grammar study all year in 9th grade. This year they are doing following "Writing Clear Essays" as a text and there are some grammar reviews. Mostly though they are just writing and writing and writing.