Menu

Should I be worried that dd hasn't lost any baby teeth?

She'll be seven in a few weeks and doesn't even have a loose tooth. Should I be worried? Most children I know that are about her age have already lost a bunch of teeth and then my sister happened to mention that it seemed odd that she hasn't lost any yet. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should be worried! :lol:

I started second grade with a full mouth of baby teeth. :D They did eventually fall out. The only problem later in life was that my permanent teeth had to be 'helped' a bit to finally emerge.

Has the dentist done x-rays to make sure that she does have all her permanent teeth up in her gum? I know I was surprised when the dentist wanted to x-ray DS for this reason. He said some children don't have all their permanent waiting to just make an appearance.

I wouldn't worry at all. Her teeth will eventually come out, when the adult teeth underneath push them out of place. My oldest didn't lose his first tooth til he was 8, and he didn't lose most of his baby teeth until this past year (age 12). He still has one baby tooth left and he is 13 now. And all along, the orthodontist has assurred me this is normal.

Phew! You've all put my mind at rest. I haven't discussed this with the dentist yet - dd is terrified of going to the dentist so I was hoping this wouldn't be an issue I'd have to take her in for. I will be sure to mention it at her next appointment though.

Has the dentist done x-rays to make sure that she does have all her permanent teeth up in her gum? I know I was surprised when the dentist wanted to x-ray DS for this reason. He said some children don't have all their permanent waiting to just make an appearance.

Ds1 doesn't have all his permanent teeth. He's missing a canine and we found out during a routine exam where he got his initial full mouth x-ray. I think he was around 11. The dentist said not to worry about it unless the tooth falls out. Apparently some people in similar situations don't lose that baby tooth. Unfortunately for ds, his fell out. Now he's in braces to try to close the gap that's left. His other option was to have an implant.

For the OP, I think 7 is still well within the normal range for not losing baby teeth yet. I don't think you need to be overly concerned.

Cinder

She'll be seven in a few weeks and doesn't even have a loose tooth. Should I be worried? Most children I know that are about her age have already lost a bunch of teeth and then my sister happened to mention that it seemed odd that she hasn't lost any yet. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should be worried! :lol:

I think it also depends on when they got their baby teeth. But if you are worried... ask the dentist.

Ds#1 got his first baby tooth when he was 3 months old... he had all his baby teeth by the time he was 15 months old (even his molars that come in later). He lost his first baby tooth when he was 5yrs old. He lost all his baby teeth by the time he was 10.

Dd got her first tooth when she just turned 1yr old. She had few teeth until close to 2 yrs old. She lost her first baby tooth when she was 8 yrs old (almost 9)and still has a few baby teeth at almost 16 yrs old.

Younger two boys are more "normal" with their baby teeth... coming in and coming out.

Relax! My middle son lost his first baby tooth and he is 9 and a half!

The bite wing x-rays show the adult teeth are all there. The dentist mentioned a theory that shows late baby teeth losers tend to grow taller and may grow longer than their peers... I think I explained that correctly. I'd like that...since he's a bit on the small side.

My dd turned seven in October and she has all her baby teeth too, none are loose. I'm not sure when I lost mine, but I remember my mom was appalled that the dentist told her that if he had to estimate my brother's age from his dental records (like if his body was found or something!) he would never have guess he was nearly nine because he still had all his baby teeth. Eeeeww. My brother is fine now, his adult teeth came in apparently at some point.