Menu

Those who use both MUS and LOF, question for you re: fractions level

rafiki

Could you do something totally else with the 3rd grader for a while? Mine is going to wrap up Miquon soon, but I don't want to move right into LOF, so I'm going to use Math For Every Kid and a book on statistics/probability because some of those things weren't covered in Miquon. I don't know if there are holes you've noticed in MUS, but spending a few months on a specific "extra" area would give your 5th grader a chance to get ahead. Or you could focus on something like getting superfast on the multiplication tables, or word problems.

Edited by K&Rs Mom

Could you do something totally else with the 3rd grader for a while? Mine is going to wrap up Miquon soon, but I don't want to move right into LOF, so I'm going to use Math For Every Kid and a book on statistics/probability because some of those things weren't covered in Miquon. I don't know if there are holes you've noticed in MUS, but spending a few months on a specific "extra" area would give your 5th grader a chance to get ahead. Or you could focus on something like getting superfast on the multiplication tables, or word problems.

You might look at Math Mammoth, the blue series. They are single topic books. Her time lessons are excellent (much better than MUS) as well as the measurement ones. You might fill in with some of those. You might also want to go back and review multiple digit mult. My 4th grader, even though he did Gamma and Delta last year forgot this year how to put a place holder in when he was doing multi-number multiplication! :confused:

We are adding in LOF Fractions to our 3rd grader's curriculum, but we are still workign through SM (he is however, already confident with multidigit multiplication and division, and basic fractions and decimals as we've covered that in other texts). I don't know how it will go, but my guess is that it will be fine.