Menu

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey for 3rd and 5th?

ktwensel

I would do the chemistry but beef it up a bit for the 5th grader (fairly easy to do by adding in a few good books such as Fizz, Bubble, and Flash). You could get away with that and have a great year. Earth & Space and Life would definitely be too light for either child.

Edited by plain jane

We did RSO Life last year with a 1st grader and a 4th grader. It was too light for the 4th grader. My impression was that it would be ideal for 2nd grade. My first grader did fine with it but got a little tired of writing--that's why I thought a 2nd grader would be the ideal age for it. It would not be my first choice for a 5th grader, but if you have not done any science before and just want something easy that will get done, it might work for you.

I think this depends on how "Deep" you think science should be for those ages. I'm using Chem right now with my 3rd and 6th graders and thinks it's fine. I also used Life and E&S when my oldest was in 4th and 5th grade. I don't think science has to be rigorous at these ages. I think it should be mostly about having getting messy and occasionally blowing things up in a controlled manor (not bomb making or anything but volcanoes, and things of that nature). If you are one that wants a heavy, rigorous science program for your 5th grader then I don't think RSO would fit without some beefing up. I use it for my older boy as, like I said, fun and messiness, but also as a way to spark his interest. Many of our RSO lessons have turned into major library hunts for as much information as he can find.

Would you use R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey for 3rd and 5th grade?

If not, do you have another suggestion? We have had limited science exposure.

Thanks!

Only the Chemistry. It is done very well. We had a terrific time marinating an egg in toothpaste, and then soaking it in vinegar. Wow.

I think this depends on how "Deep" you think science should be for those ages. I'm using Chem right now with my 3rd and 6th graders and thinks it's fine. I also used Life and E&S when my oldest was in 4th and 5th grade. I don't think science has to be rigorous at these ages.

:iagree: I was very happy with RSO Life for my 4th grader. We will be using E&S for 5th Grade starting January. We spend a load of time of English, a significant amount of time on Maths, and quite a bit on Latin. I am happy if our science curriculum achieves familiarity with concepts and method, which I think RSO does effectively.

Remember, there is a really fabulous try-before-you-buy download option, so you can try it for several week (7?) and see how you go.

Nikki