Menu

Controversial thread of the day....

Not because of separation of church and state, but because of the state government, in essence, via tax breaks, paying for this monster, probably without any specific information as to whether it will even be profitable. If a private individual or investment group wanted to build this - more power to 'em. I see a financial disaster in the making.

since I seem to be on a roll lately with my threads getting locked....:D

Saw this article this morning: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/us/06ark.html?_r=2&src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

Well, what says the hive?

I don't know all of the details, but having been briefly involved in city government, here is my take. The state is giving them tax breaks-incentives to basically bring their business there. They aren't funding the operation. Obviously, by offering the tax incentives, it gives the group a reason to come to their state, not some where else. They are hoping that it will not only create jobs, but bring in the tourists. They are basing the fact that it will by what the Creation Museum has done for the state. If you want businesses to come to your city, or state, you need to offer them a reason to. That's how it's done. Whether is is religion-based or not has nothing to do with it.

It sounds kind of fun. I'm not sure they'll see the numbers they are expecting, but I'm not an expert in that area at all. I wouldn't invest in it personally.

With regards to gov't tax breaks. if they have the precedent they seem to have in the article, I guess there's nothing wrong with it - assuming they aren't truly "financing" it by providing up front money (which it doesn't seem like they are). It's no different really than those who want to open a water park near here (not something for everyone, but could provide some jobs, etc). People are complaining about that too and have driven it away - not about religion of any sort but just a NIMB mentality (Not In My Backyard).

I'd let them go ahead. If we were in the area I might even stop at it if the weather were right. I wouldn't make a special trip to it though.

I don't know all of the details, but having been briefly involved in city government, here is my take. The state is giving them tax breaks-incentives to basically bring their business there. They aren't funding the operation. Obviously, by offering the tax incentives, it gives the group a reason to come to their state, not some where else. They are hoping that it will not only create jobs, but bring in the tourists. They are basing the fact that it will by what the Creation Museum has done for the state. If you want businesses to come to your city, or state, you need to offer them a reason to. That's how it's done. Whether is is religion-based or not has nothing to do with it.

:iagree:

I hope they rethink the part about keeping large animals in pens on the ark. Even if you believe that the story of Noah is literally true, that doesn't mean that ark conditions are an acceptable way to keep wild animals.

:iagree: Obviously they aren't going to try for two of every species on earth but even if they only go for the flashy ones, that seems like way too many animals in too confined a space.

While only tangentially related, every time I see talk about this park, I think of PZ Myers's short, and blessedly profanity-free, response--having mostly to do with education, the state of the US economy and who the tourists of this ark will be in 15 years (Chinese tourists).

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/12/while_were_busy_playing_in_the.php

T.

I think they ought to have life-size simulations of 6 pairs of all the bird species that ever existed on earth, plus six pairs of every "clean" species of animals that every existed on earth, and one pair each of all the unclean animals that ever existed on earth, and all their food, and show how they all fit.

There should also be some Giants scattered about the park, because there were (according to the story) Giants on the earth in those days.

And there should probably be a memorial to all the people proportedly killed in the greatest genocide in human history.

Bill

I'm not sure it's really a church/state issue. Most people who want to go would already be Bible literalists anyway, and non Bible literalists aren't suddenly going to believe new things because they went there. I mean, nobody goes to Disneyland and comes home believing in the literal existence of a host of cartoon characters, do they!

And surely there are laws in place to ensure that any live animals they might use are looked after decently?

Edited by Hotdrink

I'm not sure it's really a church/state issue. Most people who want to go would already be Bible literalists anyway, and normal people aren't suddenly going to believe new things because they went there. I mean, nobody goes to Disneyland and comes home believing in the literal existence of a host of cartoon characters, do they!

And surely there are laws in place to ensure that any live animals they might use are looked after decently?

interesting that you have people divided into "bible literalists" or "normal people"....

I think they ought to have life-size simulations of 6 pairs of all the bird species that ever existed on earth, plus six pairs of every "clean" species of animals that every existed on earth, and one pair each of all the unclean animals that ever existed on earth, and all their food, and show how they all fit.

There should also be some Giants scattered about the park, because there were (according to the story) Giants on the earth in those days.

And there should probably be a memorial to all the people proportedly killed in the greatest genocide in human history.

Bill

So, Bill, why don't you tell us how you really feel about this topic?

:lol:

Yeah, um...it looks extremely hokey. I don't think the religious theme which, to the mainstream, is highly fictional, should bar it from the same business tax breaks that would be extended to any large venture that would bring jobs to the state.

I say, go for it...and when/if we visit Kentucky, well, we won't go there.

To me it takes something holy and turns into something it shouldn't. Think Mickey Mouse....Bible based rides....it almost feels like making a mockery of the Bible. I think I'm very open/progressive minded when it comes to religion...but this to me feels wrong on all levels:/ It's the amusement based park theme that bothers me...

I think it's great! I'd love to visit there with my kids!

Me too! I'd like to see the Holy Land Experience in Orlando some day too. People put on dramas and plays for kids in church all the time to dramatize the Bible stories and make them come alive for children, I can just imagine what it must be like at a place like that that has that kind of funding and resources.

Bill

They shouldn't forget the dinosaurs.

:ack2:

For some reason the verse about Jesus' rant in the temple about it being turned into a den of theives popped into my head.

There's just something not right about making money off God in such a way. Unless (which I highly doubt) 100% of the profit goes toward taking care of the orphans and widows of the world.