Menu

s/o What's your favorite version of Sense and Sensiblity

and why?

I'll go first, I like the new one that PBS did. I found ALL the characters believable in their roles, and it stuck closer to the story than Emma Thompson's version. I felt Emma Thompson was too old to play Elinor, and, I didn't like Alan Rickman as Col Brandon even though he is one of my most FAVORITE actors. I just couldn't believe Marianne would fall in love with him. However, I LOVED Kate Winslet as Marianne.

OH, and I find I really hate all BBC versions of Jane Austin. I find them dry and dull. Lacking emotion and passion, when Austin's books are full of emotion.:leaving:

What do you think?

:bigear:

Well, I really love Emma Thompson's version. I love Emma, Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman. I think they were all superb and have watched it with my family at least 10 times. :blush: She didn't stick as close to the story as I would have liked, but I can overlook that. I have come to not expect movies to stick to the story line of the book. That's the only way I can watch them. Otherwise we would never watch Lord of the Rings! :D

Emma Thompson's

for Sense and Sensibility is almost as good as the movie. :tongue_smilie:

I can't remember if I've seen the 2008 BBC version or not. :001_huh: I *think* I may have (or may have seen part of it), but I can't remember, so I guess I won't "vote!" I love the Emma Thompson version, though.

I think Kate Winslett is the best Marianne ever. I also think that Emma Thompson was too old to play Elinor, but I really like Emma Thompson so I try to overlook that little discrepancy. ;)

My favorite version is the latest one (2009 Masterpiece Theater). Excellent acting all around, true to the story.

I really love the 2008 BBC TV version. I thought the scenery was just gorgeous, and for once I didn't despise Edward as a bumbling fool. I still cry my eyes out every time I watch it, there are some truly lovely moments in that one. I haven't found one with a Colonel Brandon that I could really fall in love with, but I thought David Morrissey played him as a sympathetic character at least.

ETA: Now I see that my version and your PBS version are one and the same. :) It's a great series!!!

I love both the Emma Thompson version and the 2008 BBC version. If I want a "quick" Jane Austen fix, Emma Thompson's S&S is the first one I reach for. But, if I have a few nights open, I'll choose the longer version, which is exquisite.

Emma was "too old" for Elinor, but I forgive her that. She was brilliant and a girl can't help her age. ;) My issues watching now have more to do with Hugh Grant as Edward. I ALWAYS "see" him inside my head as Daniel Cleaver from B.J.Diary and I have trouble seeing him as "the good guy" because I keep half-expecting Edward to change the story and be a conniving jerk. lol

I really love the 2008 BBC TV version. I thought the scenery was just gorgeous, and for once I didn't despise Edward as a bumbling fool. I still cry my eyes out every time I watch it, there are some truly lovely moments in that one. I haven't found one with a Colonel Brandon that I could really fall in love with, but I thought David Morrissey played him as a sympathetic character at least.

ETA: Now I see that my version and your PBS version are one and the same. :) It's a great series!!!

I really like this Edward, too. I did not realize this was a BBC production!

This is the one I like too. :D

I agree with your comment on the various Colonel Brandon's though...none of them would toot my horn. But, even though this is my top S&S pick I can't get David Morrisey's portrayal of the crazy Schoolmaster in the BBC production of Our Mutual Friend out of my head. It totally ruins his portrayal of Colonel Brandon as a romantic figure! Ack! :tongue_smilie::lol:

I think Kate Winslett is the best Marianne ever. I also think that Emma Thompson was too old to play Elinor, but I really like Emma Thompson so I try to overlook that little discrepancy. ;)

My favorite version is the latest one (2009 Masterpiece Theater). Excellent acting all around, true to the story.

I totally didn't realize this was a BBC version. See how much I know?:lol: I totally agree about your assessment of Edward. I thought David Morrissey was a more believable love interest for Marianne than any of the others, but you're right, still didn't toot my horn either:001_smile:.

This is the one I like too. :D

I agree with your comment on the various Colonel Brandon's though...none of them would toot my horn. But, even though this is my top S&S pick I can't get David Morrisey's portrayal of the crazy Schoolmaster in the BBC production of Our Mutual Friend out of my head. It totally ruins his portrayal of Colonel Brandon as a romantic figure! Ack! :tongue_smilie::lol:

Memo to self, never watch "Our Mutual Friend.":eek:

I can't get David Morrisey's portrayal of the crazy Schoolmaster in the BBC production of Our Mutual Friend out of my head. It totally ruins his portrayal of Colonel Brandon as a romantic figure! Ack! :tongue_smilie::lol:

We're watching Pillars of Earth right now on netflix and Matthew Macfadyen is cast as Prior Philip. I don't think I will ever be able to watch this version of Pride & Prejudice ever again! Prior Philip is so...... well.... so NOT Mr. Darcy. It's sucked the wind out of the sails of Little Dorrit too. Prior Philip is no Arthur Clennam either. :001_unsure:

We're watching Pillars of Earth right now on netflix and Matthew Macfadyen is cast as Prior Philip. I don't think I will ever be able to watch this version of Pride & Prejudice ever again! Prior Philip is so...... well.... so NOT Mr. Darcy. It's sucked the wind out of the sails of Little Dorrit too. Prior Philip is no Arthur Clennam either. :001_unsure:

I've got Little Dorrit coming from Netflix. :D