Menu

Would you consider this an african american nativity set?

No. I'd consider it race neutral. Is that good enough? It's not white, but jest being wood would not lead me to think African. To me, that isn't just dark wood stain color, it's features and such too, tho I guess if the skin was painted black, I might.

But my first thought seeing it at the store? Didn't jump to any ethnicity.

This is a sincere question, and I truly don't know the answer, but wouldn't it be considered African or not?

What, exactly, would make it "African-American" as opposed to African (or Haitian)?

AutumnOak, you might be able to explain this to me, if you would. Thanks!:001_smile:

This is a sincere question, and I truly don't know the answer, but wouldn't it be considered African or not?

What, exactly, would make it "African-American" as opposed to African (or Haitian)?

AutumnOak, you might be able to explain this to me, if you would. Thanks!:001_smile:

Actually I agree with you :)...There is nothing that would make it African American verses just African...I would say the people could be Black, because I personally use the term Black...I know many use the term African American in place of the word Black...So I just figured the question meant did the people in the nativity look Black...But there is nothing that would make it American per se...

Actually I agree with you :)...There is nothing that would make it African American verses just African...I would say the people could be Black, because I personally use the term Black...I know many use the term African American in place of the word Black...So I just figured the question meant did the people in the nativity look Black...But there is nothing that would make it American per se...

Just pointing out that you would only use African American instead of Black in the United States.

To me I first thought, "that is a nice mid-tone and nicely done since Jesus wasn't white."

Isn't that the truth? And yet, he is depicted so often with fair skin and European features. I actually prefer seeing him as Aslan to seeing him in some of the pictures I've seen through the years although ANY representation of Him at all warms my heart.

Depends on whose house it was in...My family is black and if it was in my house, people would definitely think it was an African American nativity...In another home, people may think something else...

I'm sorry but I'm easily distracted. You look way too young to be the mother of those kiddos!

Isn't that the truth? And yet, he is depicted so often with fair skin and European features.

I understand why people say that Jesus wasn't white, but he was ethnically Hebrew, right? My dh is ethnically of the Hebrew people and he is lightskinned. People would definitely describe him as white.

ETA: I have no issues with Jesus depicted in various ways.

Edited by zaichiki

I'm sorry but I'm easily distracted. You look way too young to be the mother of those kiddos!

That is too funny :lol:...People do comment when I go out with them sometimes...One woman asked me was I like ten when I started having kids!...My husband thinks other people think he robbed the cradle when we go out :001_smile:

Of course. It is beautiful. Why not? This is a strange question.

How is it a strange question ? Various pieces of art work are inspired by different cultures. I don't think it's strange at all to wonder if this particular item fits in with what could be considered African American. Wouldn't that just mean it could be of interest to an American of African descent ?

Edited by Miss Sherry

Oh, I really like that! I collect small, simple nativity sets and I like the artwork on the clothing. I think the skintones are lovely.

Would I think it was AA? I dunno... since the question was asked first, I looked at it with that thought in my mind. I *think* if I'd just seen it first, not in light of that question, I might just think it was meant to look more Middle Eastern. But if one specifically wanted an AA nativity set, I believe this would be suitable/acceptable. Either way, I like it!

No, I wouldn't consider it African-American, but that's primarily because I'm pretty sure there wasn't such a people at the time of the nativity, and my suspension of disbelief only goes so far. The figurines could be representing people of African or Middle Eastern origin, however.

Makes me happy to see a nativity set where everyone isn't blonde haired, blue eyed, and pale-skinned. :)

I'm pretty sure there wasn't such a people at the time of the nativity, and my suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

But but but, there weren't marshmallows or snowmen at the time of the Nativity, either, and that hasn't stopped someone from making a Nativity out of them! This seems like an appropriate time to break out the Cavalcade of Bad Nativities:

http://www.goingjesus.com/cavalcade1.shtml

Terri

Edited by plansrme
typo

But but but, there weren't marshmallows or snowmen at the time of the Nativity, either, and that hasn't stopped someone from making a Nativity out of them! This seems like an appropriate time to break out the Cavalcade of Bad Nativities:

Terri

:lol::lol::lol::lol:I'm surprised I didn't wake someone up with my cackles of glee.:lol::lol:

Terri

....and they brought him gold, frankincense and snausages. <snicker>

No. I'd consider it race neutral. Is that good enough? It's not white, but jest being wood would not lead me to think African. To me, that isn't just dark wood stain color, it's features and such too, tho I guess if the skin was painted black, I might.

But my first thought seeing it at the store? Didn't jump to any ethnicity.

:iagree: It's neutral and probably more accurate...neither "white" nor "black".

Terri

Aaaaaaaaauuuughhhh!!! That is hilarious!!!! Good thing I wasn't holding my coffee cup when I got to the Goose in Mary's Clothing!!!!

Terri

:lol::lol::lol: LOL! That site is fantastic. I really needed a good chuckle.

I really don't mean to be insistent, but I wonder how most people would describe Jesus if not white. Maybe I'm missing something here and I would be happy to be educated --

I always thought that Jesus, being a Hebrew, was lightskinned and would be described, in today's vernacular, as white. I have family and friends who are Eastern European and Middle Eastern Jews and they would ALL e described as white.

Can someone share their perspective?

Thanks.

I really don't mean to be insistent, but I wonder how most people would describe Jesus if not white. Maybe I'm missing something here and I would be happy to be educated --

I always thought that Jesus, being a Hebrew, was lightskinned and would be described, in today's vernacular, as white. I have family and friends who are Eastern European and Middle Eastern Jews and they would ALL e described as white.

Can someone share their perspective?

Thanks.

I"m white. The Middle-easterners I know have darker skin than I do and have tight curly hair. They are actually rather racially ambiguous.