Menu

landlord question- WWYD

Our landlord insists on being paid with a money order. We sent her a money order on Nov. 26th for Dec. rent. She says she didn't get it. The post office confirms that it has not been cashed- but we can't stop payment or get a refund for 60 days. I'm really irritated because it would be so much simpler to write a check every month rather than have to physically go to the post office to purchase a money order. Not to mention the 1.50 that it costs to buy the money order. If we had written a check, we could have stopped payment. She called last Thursday and said she hadn't gotten our rent- we told her we mailed it and so we waited a couple days to see if it would show up. It hasn't. This morning she called and left a message that she wants us to send another money order!!!! WWYD? The money is essentially lost/stolen. Who was it lost/stolen from?

Edited by T'smom

You should have gotten a receipt for the money order. You could scan/e-mail it to her so she can see that it was purchased and explain to her that since it was her idea to do a money order for payment of rent, the procedure is to wait 60 days until it is able to be declared missing. Let her know it hasn't been cashed and there's nothing else you can do.

I would NOT send her another one. One thing, we used to make a direct deposit of cash into our landlord's account for our rent and kept the deposit slip from that. I can understand her not wanting to take checks since so many are writing bad ones and it's a pain for her as well. I would give her another option for payment. If she doesn't take it, that's the way it is.:grouphug:

How did you send the money order?

It is the senders responsibility to make sure a payment makes it to the payee, so you are responsible.

In the future, I would check with your bank about how much they charge for money orders or secured checks. Ours gives them out free once a month per account. Then mail the check, signature required w/ delivery confirmation. I would do this no matter what method of mailed payment you send.

An alternative may be to look into Paypal or another secured method of payment like checks from a Credit Card company (you can pay it off at the end of the month to avoid interest charges).

Sorry you are going through this, it can be hard to scrape up an additional months payment at the holidays.

It is the senders responsibility to make sure a payment makes it to the payee, so you are responsible.

:iagree: It stinks, I'm sorry, but you do have the responsibility to make sure that money gets to your landlord on time each month.

Hmm- It really hasn't been that long since it was sent. I would try and just wait a little longer. Tell the landlord you are investigating. I know with the holidays I wouldn't want to have to pay another rent payment. What a hassle.

I would do this. See if they're willing to give you a week. Sounds like you may have to send another money order if it doesn't show up. Hopefully it will turn up soon or at least be able to count for next month.

I'm sorry you're faced with this situation. :grouphug:

Edited by plain jane

Well, it's a pain in the butt, but you can get money orders for less than that, I think. And if you do go to the post office, maybe you can *send* the MO by certified mail or insured or something that gives you a receipt and assurance that it was received. And then, keep track! I know it's more work and a little more money, but maybe worth it?

Our landlord insists on being paid with a money order. We sent her a money order on Nov. 26th for Dec. rent. She says she didn't get it. The post office confirms that it has not been cashed- but we can't stop payment or get a refund for 60 days. I'm really irritated because it would be so much simpler to write a check every month rather than have to physically go to the post office to purchase a money order. Not to mention the 1.50 that it costs to buy the money order. If we had written a check' date=' we could have stopped payment. She called last Thursday and said she hadn't gotten our rent- we told her we mailed it and so we waited a couple days to see if it would show up. It hasn't. This morning she called and left a message that she wants us to send another money order!!!! WWYD? The money is essentially lost/stolen. Who was it lost/stolen from?[/quote']

It is an unfortunate situation to have happen so close to the holidays. :( I would try to talk the landlord into waiting until the tenth, that would be two weeks from when you mailed it. I would let the landlord know that I had done an inquiry and I was reporting it as stolen after that date. That might make the landlord think twice just in case there was something fishy going on there. After that, you will have to buy another money order. I would actually send all future communication/money orders using certified mail because you actually receive a return receipt in that case.

It's too bad that you have to wait 60 days to get your money back, but at least you know you won't be out that money for good.

Our landlord insists on being paid with a money order. We sent her a money order on Nov. 26th for Dec. rent. She says she didn't get it. The post office confirms that it has not been cashed- but we can't stop payment or get a refund for 60 days. I'm really irritated because it would be so much simpler to write a check every month rather than have to physically go to the post office to purchase a money order. Not to mention the 1.50 that it costs to buy the money order. If we had written a check' date=' we could have stopped payment. She called last Thursday and said she hadn't gotten our rent- we told her we mailed it and so we waited a couple days to see if it would show up. It hasn't. This morning she called and left a message that she wants us to send another money order!!!! WWYD? The money is essentially lost/stolen. Who was it lost/stolen from?[/quote']

it would depend how much i liked living there, or needed to live there. if i liked it a lot, and i had another month's rent, i would buy another money order and send it with confirmation or take it to her.

if i didn't have the money, or didn't like living there, i would tell her that because the rules for a money order are 60 days, then that is how long she will have to wait until i can get the money back. and suggest that in the future we use a different payment method. but in the end it is her call, so ??? (legally, i believe the bottom line is that you did not meet your obligation of paying her the rent.... you sent it, but she didn't get it, so it is not paid.)

hopefully the post office delivered it to one of her neighbors, and she will get it shortly.

and from now on, i'd send it with delivery confirmation required.

hth,

ann

See, I think the money order thing is insanely unreasonable too! Because with one phone call, I could have fixed the problem if it had been a check. We don't particularly like living here, but I don't really want to move. Fortunately, we have the money in an emergency account that we can use to cover it.....but what if it has been stolen and someone manages to cash it? I know that they're supposed to have ID to cash it, but I'm sure somene could be creative enough to get past that. I'm sure she thinks we didn't really send it- but we've lived here a little more than a year and the payment has always been early. Ugh. I hate this.

:iagree: I hope it works out, but be prepared one or the other for the next payment. What a nightmare.

It is an unfortunate situation to have happen so close to the holidays. :( I would try to talk the landlord into waiting until the tenth, that would be two weeks from when you mailed it. I would let the landlord know that I had done an inquiry and I was reporting it as stolen after that date. That might make the landlord think twice just in case there was something fishy going on there. After that, you will have to buy another money order. I would actually send all future communication/money orders using certified mail because you actually receive a return receipt in that case.

It's too bad that you have to wait 60 days to get your money back, but at least you know you won't be out that money for good.

Hm, I think the post office does have good policies for dealing with it. They should be able to put a stop payment on it. They may make you wait for your money back, but they should be able to ensure it won't be able to be cashed.

They said they couldn't stop payment until 60 days had passed. Do you think we could report it stolen? I just want to make sure we get that money back!

I'd be honest and just tell the landlord you can't afford to pay the rent twice. I'd send verification that your purchased the MO and explain the 60 day rule.

Really, I doubt I could so no other option really matters.

Also, I could be wrong, but unless you have a history of bouncing rent checks or it is written into your lease, the landlord can't make you pay in the form they prefer. If it's not written into your lease that you will pay with money order or that checks won't be accepted - she can't refuse your checks whether she likes it or not.

So I'd be looking at my lease and if it doesn't say you have to pay by MO or that the landlord won't accept checks - I'd pay however convenient for me. If the landlord doesn't like it, site this situation as to why you will not be going through the hassle of sending and confirming deliver of MO every month any longer.

here is what a quick google search turned up

"You can go to any Post Office, complete a Form 6401, and find out if a Postal Service Money Order has been paid. The same form can be used to request the reissue of a lost, stolen or damaged USPSMO. The fee is $5.00"

and here is the link to the usps site, which is way harder to understand, but appears to say the same thing.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=4e9ac40dcc44dbc3f07620fee949ba16&rgn=div5&view=text&node=39:1.0.1.10.50&idno=39#39:1.0.1.10.50.3.1.1

ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top Requests for removal of stoppage of payment shall be addressed to the Money Order Division. No request for removal of stoppage of payment shall be accepted after issuance of a substitute Disbursement Postal Money Order has been approved.

which certainly sounds as if putting a stop payment on it is possible.

hth,

ann

ps. i would guess post offices are like airlines; you need to call several times and ask the same question to different people to begin to get close to the right answer.