Menu

Any series similar to the magic tree house

StephanieF

I had the same question a few months ago, and someone here recommended Carole Marsh's books. They are about 3rd to 4th grade reading level and the kids in the series visit different places in the world and solve mysteries. I bought the books from amazon.com since our library does not carry any of her books. There are about 5 of her books that are $3.20 in the bargain section of amazon and the rest of her books have the 4-3 special.

I had the same question a few months ago, and someone here recommended Carole Marsh's books. They are about 3rd to 4th grade reading level and the kids in the series visit different places in the world and solve mysteries. I bought the books from amazon.com since our library does not carry any of her books. There are about 5 of her books that are $3.20 in the bargain section of amazon and the rest of her books have the 4-3 special.

I'm not the OP but thank you for this! I've never heard of this series. The books look great!

Laura:

Is the font size in Roman Mysteries comfortable for a younger child?

The font size is pretty average for children's novels. I think the characters are around 12 years old. And my sense is that these books have pre-teens as their target. While my 8 1/2 yr old loves these books, I probably wouldn't encourage a five year old read them.

Time Spies series by Candice Ransom was recommended by my librarian and my daughter loves them!

Wow, these look great. I just checked our library catalog, though, and apparently not a single library in the entire New York City library system has any of them. Bizarre. I will have to ask the children's librarian about this.

IRRELEVANT VENT

I don't like Magic Tree House at all. I just don't like her writing style: it's like reading a telegraph, because the sentences are so short and repetitive, not to mention that the characters are boring and there's barely any plot.

"Once. Upon a time. There was a boy. And his sister. And they went. Up. To the treehouse." They go somewhere, get into danger, escape, and come back. I am sooo glad that ds is getting sick of them.

ACTUAL CONTRIBUTION TO THREAD

Have you done the Spiderwick Chronicles? I didn't like them either, but my son enjoyed them, and they were just a little more challenging to read than MTH.

Edited by Hotdrink

IRRELEVANT VENT

I don't like Magic Tree House at all. I just don't like her writing style: it's like reading a telegraph, because the sentences are so short and repetitive, not to mention that the characters are boring and there's barely any plot.

"Once. Upon a time. There was a boy. And his sister. And they went. Up to the treehouse." They go somewhere, get into danger, escape, and come back. I am sooo glad that ds is getting sick of them.

ACTUAL CONTRIBUTION TO THREAD

Have you done the Spiderwick Chronicles? I didn't like them either, but my son enjoyed them, and they were just a little more challenging to read than MTH.

I agree about MTH - we used them as read-alouds for that very reason, and we could sort of smooth out the writing at the very least. And Spiderwick is sort of fun, though simplistic. :)

IRRELEVANT VENT

"Once. Upon a time. There was a boy. And his sister. And they went. Up to the treehouse." They go somewhere, get into danger, escape, and come back.

:iagree: with you, Hotdrink! I tolerate them but refuse to read them to dc. Some of the other series suggested on this thread look interesting. I love discovering new authors or making connections with familiar authors and books I hadn't known about previously!

Edited by Jyniffrec
Stupid phone, lol!