Menu

Need suggestions for Government "extra credit"

My 9th grader is using Notgrass U.S. Government and doing very poorly. She averages Ds on the quizzes. I let her take the first exam as open book and she earned a B. I feel so bad for her because I do believe she is studying the best she knows how but she is just not getting it all and is therefore demoralized. She is really struggling to understand Conceptual Physics as well.

I need some suggestions on work she might be able to do that can help her learn and demonstrate knowledge of this course. I was thinking of a lapbook. Anything else.

We used Idiot's Guide to American Gov't. It's a recommended resource in WTM. We found it to be thorough enough for .5 credit of Gov't, with added readings (Common Sense, Constitution, Declaration). Ds already had a first-hand intro to the subject; he was a page in our state Senate.

We used Idiot's Guide to American Gov't. It's a recommended resource in WTM. We found it to be thorough enough for .5 credit of Gov't, with added readings (Common Sense, Constitution, Declaration). Ds already had a first-hand intro to the subject; he was a page in our state Senate.

Ordered today from the library - thanks.

Legislative Branch:

What about signing your DD up to participate in your state's Youth & Government program, a YMCA program in which students prepare over the course of a semester for a model legislative session in which they actually do the roles of Senator, Representative, Lobbyist or Press member. I understand that the program in your state of WA is extremely active and an excellent program: YMCA Youth & Gov't in Washington state

Teen PACT is a Christian leadership program available in most states that walks students through the governmental process, and concludes with special events at your state's capital, including meeting with elected members of your state's legislature. Here is the program info for WA.

Judicial Branch:

How about sitting in on an actual trial? Or participating in a Teen Court (YMCA), Mock Trial, or other simulated court system program? Maybe a local high school does such a program and would allow your DD to participate...

Civics:

How about actually working at an election polling place at the next election, or volunteering in a local politician's office?

International:

And if you are looking for something a little more international, some states also have a Model United Nations program, either through the YMCA, or a state university-sponsored program. Here are two, besides the YMCA's program, but also check out your local university for a possible program:

American Model United Nations

United Nations Association of USA

General:

Also in many states is the Junior State of America program; it is more about political speakers and student debates rather than actually performing the roles and seeing the process of how laws are made -- but it is still interesting. Here's the Pacific Northwest region website.

Finally, what about just shelving Notgrass Government for now and coming back to it in 11th or 12th grade? One of the reasons most high school students do Government in their senior year is that it is closer to the time they are able to vote and so is more relevant to their lives, but also because it can be a rather dry and cerebral topic, and it may take a little more brain maturing to "click" with the topic. Just a thought!

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Is she more of a visual learner? There are a lot of documentaries/DVDs she could watch that might make the subject more engaging and memorable. I'm linking to lists on Amazon, but many of these should be available on Netflix or through your library:

The Supreme Court

The Presidency

Congress

Free online video courses:

The Constitution

Democracy in America

Jackie

+ Volunteer for a political candidate, organization, etc.

+ Attend a political rally or demonstration

+ Write a letter to her representatives about an issue she is concerned about, citing a specific legislative issue (bill, etc.)

+ Memorize the Bill of Rights

+ Write an essay about one of the Amendments & what it means to her

+ Watch an episode of The Daily Show (OK, liberals only, lol, but you can subsitute some Fox News insanity, oops, I mean Hannity, if you wish) and then write a synopsis of a relevant issue, citing some other independent news source

+ Make a collection of political cartoons (internet is wonderful) from current times and/or past, with a caption in her own words explaining the meaning of the cartoon. (This was the most memorable experience I had in 7th grade! We had to collect 100, and that was pre-internet, lol)

+ Watch episodes of some news program you like (NewsHour, etc.)