Menu

Star Wars Fans: Are the movies appropiate for a 7.5 and 6.5 yr olds

The first one that was made has a bar scene in which an alien gets its arm cut off. It's quite obvious what happens and I found it quite shocking when I saw it. One character's relatives' dead bodies are also shown. The sequence in the trash compactor is pretty tense. Otherwise, the violence is largely cartoon-style, and I don't remember any sex.

Laura

I always hesitate to recommend movies to others because I've had it come back to bite me. :001_smile:

With that said, I recommend checking out the above site or pluggedin.com for reviews. There is always the option of watching them yourself first, as well.

I am a purist, so I say, watch the first three originals, then the three new ones. But that's just my opinion. I will say that the last of the new ones (episode 3) is extremely dark and I held off on that one for a bit for my kids. It is the only one that is rated PG-13.

ITA with the originals. The newer ones are just bad and not worth watching anyway, lol. In any case, you should watch them first, as you're the best judge of whether your dc can handle it.

FTR, there's no s*x, bad language, or overt violence (i.e., blood and guts, body parts all over the place).

My kids have seen all of them. The only one that was too dark and they choose not to see again for the time being is the third one of the new set. The descent into darkness from Anakin to Darth Vader is just a little too dark for them and caused some nightmares. But the rest are pretty tame.

The rest they love. There is also a cartoon series now on at night called Star Wars: Clone Wars. It is pretty good and my kids love those.

Of course my son is OB- to the- SESSED about anything Star Wars related.

The first one that was made has a bar scene in which an alien gets its arm cut off. It's quite obvious what happens and I found it quite shocking when I saw it. One character's relatives' dead bodies are also shown. The sequence in the trash compactor is pretty tense. Otherwise, the violence is largely cartoon-style, and I don't remember any sex.

Laura

This. The bodies really bothered our then 5yo, and we'd forgotten they were even in the scene when we started watching it with him. There is also some scantily clad ladies in Return of the Jedi if that matters to you.

You can preview them if you want to.

I'm pretty middle of the road about movies. I'm not super conservative and I'm not super liberal. I'm probably more conservative than liberal.

I've let the kids see all of them except for episode 3. That one is rated PG13 and it should be. It's just too much (in my middle of the road opinion.)

People debate over whether to watch them in order 1 - 6, or to watch them as they were released: 4 - 6, then 1 - 3.

If you're not going to let them watch them all (meaning you'll skip episode 3), it might make better sense to watch them as they released, meaning to watch 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, and then leave off 3. That way, the story doesn't just jump in the middle...instead you simply don't see the ending. Which is ok, because ep 2 can stand alone enough that you don't NEED to see 3. You also don't need to see 1, 2, and 3 to enjoy 4, 5, and 6 (which is why it was ok that they released those first.) Ep 1, 2 and 3 provide back story to 4, 5, and 6, but it isn't crucial to understanding.

I'm sure that's as clear as mud. Sorry! It's just what I would do.

Edited by Garga

If you're not going to let them watch them all (meaning you'll skip episode 3), it might make better sense to watch them as they released, meaning to watch 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, and then leave off 3. That way, the story doesn't just jump in the middle...instead you simply don't see the ending. Which is ok, because ep 2 can stand alone enough that you don't NEED to see 3. You can learn about what happened in 3 by watching 4, 5, 6.

This is what we did. My Star Wars obsessed husband insisted this was the only order they should be watched in. :tongue_smilie:

approaching it from a different angle, there are lots of good movies out there for kids that age, so when ours were younger, we watched things like doctor dolittle (the original) and mary poppins, etc. we waited on star wars until they were 9 and 10. there is something to be said for not rushing the growing up....

fwiw,

ann