Menu

Retiring an old American Flag

Okay, I googled this, but I'm in no better shape than I was before. The American Flag we fly at the front of our house needs to be retired. It was worn, with a hole in the corner. The hole just got caught up this past weekend and now the flag is torn in half. :(

Old etiquette was supposedly to burn and old flag in a "dignified manner" (burning doesn't actually seem that dignified to me, but...), however it also cautions that most modern flags are made with nylons and other toxic chemicals and should not be burned. What is proper to do? Should I bury the flag? That seems a little over-the-top, even for a die-hard patriot. Still, it seems wrong for it to sit in the trash can next to the kitty litter bag and last night's chicken carcass. I'm at a loss. What do you do with a decrepit flag?

P.S. I also just learned that it's not proper to use the a flag as apparel or for decorating. That gives me pause about my son's flag swimshorts, the flag basket I made one year, the flag background on my husband's business cards and about a dozen other things that I thought symbolized our family's patriotism.

I was also going to suggest cub or boy scouts - they do the retirement ceremony at various functions and involve the boys in the process. My son watched his first retirement ceremony at a scouting camp weekend in early October...it was very well done and dignified IMO.

Our scout troop had a retirement ceremony at campout in October. It was definitely very moving and dignified.

However- this was our first year in scouts, so I didn't know what to expect, and didn't know about the ceremony far ahead of time. So we didn't think to prepare our boys or explain what exactly was going on. Afterwards, our eight and six year old sons were weeping and very distraught. We instantly realized they had misunderstood, especially when our six year old cried, "This means America LOST!!" They were ok once we explained, but they would have gotten much more from the ceremony if their mama had bothered to explain it to them ahead of time!!

P.S. I also just learned that it's not proper to use the a flag as apparel or for decorating. That gives me pause about my son's flag swimshorts, the flag basket I made one year, the flag background on my husband's business cards and about a dozen other things that I thought symbolized our family's patriotism.

This "rule" (I don't know what else to call it) doesn't apply to images of flags, or to stars and stripes printed on fabric used for garments or swags or to sparkly 4th of July decorations. It is referring to draping an actual flag over your shoulders as a cape, or tacking it to the wall by all four corners. It should be allowed to fly free. Also, this "rule" doesn't apply to small flags (the kind on sticks that are waved at parades and gatherings). It refers only to the large flags that would be flown on a flag pole.

It is good that you see the need to retire your worn flag. Are you aware that it ought not be flown at night? It should be brought in at night, unless it is lit (from below, I believe, but I'm not certain on that point).

My 21 year AF veteran hubby has taught me a lot about proper flag etiquette. I'm sure he would be honored at your desire to treat your flag with respect.

Going to agree with the suggestion to turn it in to the scouts or a veterans' association-VFW, American Legion, etc.

Flying at night or in foul weather (the latter should only be done with an all-weather flag) is only supposed to be done if the flag has a dedicated spotlight which is turned on at sunset or when it starts raining. Otherwise, it should only be flown from sunrise-sunset and not during precipitation.