Menu

PSAT results yet, anyone?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called this morning, and the first person I spoke with insisted that I had to talk to the school's guidance counselor.

I told her that the PSAT website says the scores WON'T be sent to the school, only to our home. (This is because we used the homeschool code.)

She said they still went to the school. So I called the school, and the guidance counselor checked and had no information on my son.

I called PSAT again, and informed them of this, and they repeatedly insisted that I had to go through the guidance counselor. I told them I HAD, and he didn't have the scores.

We repeated this exchange several times ("Ma'am, you need to call the school." "I did. They don't have anything for my son. Now what?")

We both got frustrated. Finally I asked, "So when I hang up and call the counselor again, he will tell me that he has no information....again. What should he do next?"

She paused.

I said, "Do I have him call YOU? Can you release an access code to the counselor? What do you want me to tell the counselor to do?"

At this point, she put me on hold and I was transferred to a supervisor. The counselor asked me all his security questions, and then linked the scores to his Quick Start account.

Whew! :tongue_smilie:

That's what I went through yesterday - an hour of calling - talking to four different people - and no scores or help in the end. :confused: I'm glad you were able to get the scores linked.

Congratulations to all - those are some amazing scores!!!

I am in the 93 percentile, with my index score being 190.

Brought up all my scores, but I know I could have done much better! Critical Reading was a 66, Math was a 57, and Writing Skills was a 67.

No (*) next to my index score, so I'll still hold onto the hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll be the 55,000th person for the National Merit Scholarship :)

Brought up all my scores, but I know I could have done much better! Critical Reading was a 66, Math was a 57, and Writing Skills was a 67.

No (*) next to my index score, so I'll still hold onto the hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll be the 55,000th person for the National Merit Scholarship :)

Good job!! And my oldest found that studying for the test really increased his score. There tend to be the same types of questions on the math section, so studying to get used to the doing the questions quickly and accurately is really helpful.

:hurray: Hope you are celebrating with your mom today!

Lisa

Good job!! And my oldest found that studying for the test really increased his score. There tend to be the same types of questions on the math section, so studying to get used to the doing the questions quickly and accurately is really helpful.

:hurray: Hope you are celebrating with your mom today!

Lisa

:iagree: That's a great score! And, like Lisa, I believe the best way to study is practice, practice, practice! My ds (10th) took the practice test that comes with registration and did some online practice. After the test, he claimed it was "easy" and all the questions were just like the practice test questions. Now how that will play out in his scores is another situation altogether. Still waiting on scores here....

Good job! 93rd percentile will do well with scholarship money at various colleges if your SAT/ACT scores are similar. Definitely try the ACT too. I know it's not as common in parts of the northeast, but my boys do a bit better comparatively on it. It's worth seeing which type of test you are better at.

The (*) would only mean you aren't eligible for scholarship consideration - generally due to being a non-junior or non-citizen. I found that out yesterday. Not having one means you are eligible, but you live in a high score state, so... probably not. Don't think it's a bad score though. Out of 1.5 million kids taking the test there are only 16,000 (if I'm recalling correctly) that make it to semi-finalist. It might sound "common" on here, but it's definitely not common. No one in the high school where I work has made it in years. I only recall 1 out of my 11 years of teaching (here). Good high schools have more, of course, as do homeschoolers on TWM board!

Edited by creekland

Well, still no scores here and I tried to call and I have talked to three different people three different times. First person told me that I HAD to talk to the school counselor. So I did and she said, no we don't have nor will we have access code. IT comes to you. Nothing comes to us. We have our scores and we don't have your son's. So I call back, the person INSISTED that the school has the scores...won't budge. So I call again and this person does look up my son's information and tells me that they don't have the access number. The only way to get it is throught the printed scores which should come in the mail any day now. He can't help me. GRRRR.. Maybe it will come today.

Christine

Awesome! Hopefully when I take the test, I will get a high score as well! I need all the scholarship money I can get!

Congragulations to everyone on their high scores!:lol:

We have been waiting rather impatiently, and DS's scores came in the mail today. He was a little disappointed with his 211, but I told him that score should guarantee him a Commended Scholar status and was nothing to beat himself up over! His score report said that his scores were higher than 98% of college-bound juniors who took the test. I'm very pleased.

Congratulations!!!

My dd was disappointed with 210 as well, but I think they should both be very proud. As Creekland said...we can count the states that the scores would have most likely "made the cut"! (We will still hold out a little bit of hope here in FL ;))

Commended is awesome! Such great results from these WTM kiddos!

Good job! 93rd percentile will do well with scholarship money at various colleges if your SAT/ACT scores are similar. Definitely try the ACT too. I know it's not as common in parts of the northeast, but my boys do a bit better comparatively on it. It's worth seeing which type of test you are better at.

Great PSAT scores Tigersgrowl! Congratulations!

I agree with Creekland...my dd found the ACT to be much "easier" and performed better (higher scores) on the ACT. It may be worth the effort to give it a try.

I called the CB back and did get a very nice woman who said that if my dd used the correct home school code and if she wrote her address and filled in the bubbles correctly that the test results will come directly to the house.

This is correct. ER took the test twice when he was in high school (2005 & 2006) and both times, the scores were mailed directly to our house. He only had to put our home address on the form and use the homeschool code instead of the school's code.

You should be very proud of yourself. Did you know you can be in the National Home School Honor Society with a 180 or above. Couldn't hurt to have that on your transcript!

OK, hoping you ladies can answer this for me.

My dd received her PSAT scores today and while she did well, it will not be high enough for National Merit, but probably high enough for commended based on last year's scores.

At this point is there any reason she needs to take the SAT, if all the colleges she is interested in will accept the ACT? Can we just focus on the ACT at this point or do I need to have her take both at least once? (She is taking the ACT tomorrow.)

Thanks for any input.

Yvonne (wishing she had a guidance counselor!!)

The school where ds took the test has received the scores already. We have not received his. So....I decided to make the phone call...I called 6 different times and was told by 6 different operators that the scores would go to the school. I tried to explain that I've done this before with 2 other students and the scores do indeed come to my home and have every other time, but the said I was wrong :cursing:. Six people think I'm crazy or a liar :glare:

I gave up - my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore :angry: Guess we'll keep watching the mailbox.

OK, hoping you ladies can answer this for me.

My dd received her PSAT scores today and while she did well, it will not be high enough for National Merit, but probably high enough for commended based on last year's scores.

At this point is there any reason she needs to take the SAT, if all the colleges she is interested in will accept the ACT? Can we just focus on the ACT at this point or do I need to have her take both at least once? (She is taking the ACT tomorrow.)

Thanks for any input.

Yvonne (wishing she had a guidance counselor!!)

Sticking with the ACT is fine. Just be sure that's the test she does the best on. Many kids do equally well with either, but some do better on one than the other. My guys have done better on the ACT so I think we're skipping the SAT entirely. I haven't decided 100% on that though. (He has a 99th percentile composite on the ACT so I'm struggling to come up with reasons to take the SAT and haven't found one yet considering he missed the National Merit cutoff.)

The school where ds took the test has received the scores already. We have not received his. So....I decided to make the phone call...I called 6 different times and was told by 6 different operators that the scores would go to the school. I tried to explain that I've done this before with 2 other students and the scores do indeed come to my home and have every other time, but the said I was wrong :cursing:. Six people think I'm crazy or a liar :glare:

I gave up - my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore :angry: Guess we'll keep watching the mailbox.

The school where our dd took the test received their results on Tuesday. The supervisor I spoke with at the CB said to expect ours 3 - 4 business days after that. Nothing today, so hopefully Sat. or Mon. :toetap05:

Ours just came. 217 for ds!!! We are very happy and will be waiting with bated breath to see where he fits into the cut-off for this class. He is about 3 points above where they have been for the last 3 years, but I have been hearing rumblings of expecting higher scores in our state. Hmmm.

Yay!!! Sounds like he's got a good shot at it! Congratulations.

Ours just came. 217 for ds!!! We are very happy and will be waiting with bated breath to see where he fits into the cut-off for this class. He is about 3 points above where they have been for the last 3 years, but I have been hearing rumblings of expecting higher scores in our state. Hmmm.

That sounds great! Everyone I've heard from or read has said the scores this year are likely to be higher as well due to the test being easier and lots of high scores all around to where the curve was really tough. Even so, 3 points higher should be ok I would think. The rumbling is one or two points higher. I'll be rooting for you! I've totally written if off for my guy (since he was 4 points lower than our state), but on the plus side, it means his major testing is done as we're sticking with his ACT (still have AP/SAT II though). ;)

They *did* come today, isn't that crazy?!!!

Not what ds was personally shooting for, but he will definitely be a commended scholar and I am very pleased for him. I will be interested to hear what the cutoff actually ends up being in our state but likely will not share that with ds because he will likely miss it by 5 points :glare:.

But *I* am thrilled that he scored so well. And glad that the scores came when they did, despite looking for them sooner.

This is exactly what dd got, as a sophomore. She aced math & writing (almost perfect scores), but her downfall was the first section with critical thinking, etc, although not much of a downfall. We're excited! It came late last week. If she were a junior, however, it would be too low for a merit letter, etc, in our state, even though it's still a good score. Hopefully she'll be willing to work on her weakest areas, because she needs any scholarship money she can get, even though she doesn't fully believe me yet.

Congrats to all the high scores, and to everyone who did well.

:)

Too bad your chosen field isn't offered by a state college. I'm not sure how many other posters know, but Steph could have a full tuition scholarship to a state college here because of her high scores on the state test she took in ps last year.

190 is still a very good score!

You should be very proud of yourself. Did you know you can be in the National Home School Honor Society with a 180 or above. Couldn't hurt to have that on your transcript!

This link comes up with a "can't be displayed" page. Has it worked for others? Dd can no longer apply, since she stopped homeschooling after taking the test, but I'd like to check this out for my other dc.

Haven't got our scores yet - am in upstate NY.

Called the College board - operator very friendly, but wouldn't give out my son's score! Although, the operator did look on their database and confirm that my son did take the test, the results are there, the homeschooling code was correct, and that our address is correct in their database! The operator also said that homeschooling scores are sent out a few weeks after the school district (where you took the test) scores are sent out and that all school district's scores should be out by this Friday.

Also was told that all students who took the test receive a follow-up email sometime in January with the access code, also.

Doesn't help me now!