Menu

PSAT results yet, anyone?

Ugh. Got transferred 3 times to different areas, ending up with the PSAT department, who informed me that (1) there is no possible way anyone at CB or PSAT can get scores without the access code.

Terri

This is the number I called: Telephone: (866) 433-7728

Did you call the same number?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! Just not my lucky day, I guess.

I haven't heard back from the school yet. If they have them, that would actually be better, as the school is 1 mile from my house, and I can pop in this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed (but I am not hopeful).

Terri

My guy got a 212, but that's way too low for PA. He should make commended status, but that's it. QUOTE]

Congratulations on your ds's awesome score! I know how he must be feeling since it's not as high as he hoped. Commended is amazing.

:grouphug: from a family in the same boat!

I just went ahead and pulled up the list from last year's scores from college confidential so he could see how many states he would have gotten it in IF his mom and dad hadn't chosen this state to live in. That ought to make him feel better. We'll take the "blame" on this one. ;)

FL was 210 last year... so you definitely have a chance! I'm rooting for you!

Here's last year's list as per cc:

As the PSAT results come in, here are last years cut-offs by state. The general rule is that they are usually within 1 or 2 plus or minus each year, but that is no guarantee.

Alabama 210

Alaska 214

Arizona 209

Arkansas 203

California 219

Colorado 212

Connecticut 219

Delaware 215

District of Columbia 223

Florida 210

Georgia 215

Hawaii 215

Idaho 208

Illinois 214

Indiana 212

Iowa 209

Kansas 211

Kentucky 208

Louisiana 210

Maine 213

Maryland 220

Massachusetts 223

Michigan 209

Minnesota 213

Mississippi 205

Missouri 210

Montana 208

Nebraska 210

Nevada 208

New Hampshire 214

New Jersey 221

New Mexico 206

New York 217

North Carolina 214

North Dakota 202

Ohio 212

Oklahoma 206

Oregon 215

Pennsylvania 216

Rhode Island 211

South Carolina 208

South Dakota 205

Tennessee 212

Texas 215

Utah 203

Vermont 212

Virginia 218

Washington 218

West Virginia 202

Wisconsin 209

Wyoming 202

Commended 201

International 223

New England Boarding Schools 223

To be commended last year, you needed a score of 201. That's fairly typical, but it can be plus or minus one.

Ugh. Got transferred 3 times to different areas, ending up with the PSAT department, who informed me that (1) there is no possible way anyone at CB or PSAT can get scores without the access code (so I guess all you who called and got them are liars :glare:) and (2) my daughter's score will be mailed to the school where she took it, 'cause PSAT never sends out individual score reports.

I was polite but insistent that there has to be a way, 'cause I know (using "know" loosely here) people for whom neither of the above absolutes has been true. She insists, less politely, that no, this is it, she is right, there is no one else at PSAT or College Board who can get the results. I said, "Really? You are IT for College Board? There is no other person or department who can answer this question, when I know that what you are telling me is not always true?" And she basically says, "Yeah."

I did just e-mail the school to see if they have her score. Big sigh. I should just call back and start over.

Terri

This is exactly what happened to me. I called the SAT help center. According to them, I need to call the high school because they will have the scores. Even though my son was told that they would be mailed here. I guess I will just wait. I would have preferred a "the scores are in the mail" to the "the high school will have them". She was just spouting off the line in front of her. Irritates me.

Hey, it gets better. I called the high school where my son took the test and they don't have the scores for any of the kids. They were discussing why they haven't received the scores yet because it was very odd. They told me after Christmas. When I told them that others had their scores, they were surprised and are going to do some digging.

I hate it when the "circumstances" interfere with the test. We've had some poor testing sites where the proctor leaves the room and then runs back in and announces "you have 30 seconds"!:glare: The room has a clock but it is in the back of the room and the students are informed that they cannot look around :001_huh: Ds#2 always runs into a time problem...so we went to another venue for the ACT this weekend. Hopefully it will be better. He will have a watch - he's refused to take a watch before saying that it is distracting :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, the clock was in the back of the room, so checking it during the test wasn't a good idea. He'd have needed to set his watch at the beginning and just didn't think about it.

That's ok, I guess. But in reality, if I'm proctoring the test (which I sometimes do, but not with my own kid in the room!), I'm going to warn everyone in the future to check their watch with the clock if they are timing themselves.

Well I called this the number you suggested and got the information! Wow. I guess it just depends on who you talk to. It was probably my fifth try. I did select the SAT-option on the phone, not the PSAT option. Once I talked to the SAT folks, they linked us right up.

Good luck to others!

My baby (she's my oldest but turned 13 right after the test) got a 221, 80 (CR)/70 (Math)/71 (Writing).

She went in completely cold, with no prep. We just decided to have her take it the day before the test, so I think that's pretty good.

Terri

I think that's pretty excellent ;)

Congratulations to both you and your dd!

I have decided to wait since the high school doesn't have the scores for their kids either. I did call one more time, and was denied access. This time after telling the woman on the phone what it says on their website, she put me on hold, and told me that it is the high school that will mail me the scores.

I guess I will just be patient. The woman at the high school was very friendly, so if I have any trouble I know that I can talk to her.

My son doesn't care much about his scores. It is kind of comical. I am sure he did well if his practice test is any indication. I should follow his example and let it go for awhile. :001_smile:

First, I asked for the access code and she said I should call his hs guidance counselor and ask for the code. After I explained that we homeschool, she said she could give me online access. She went away for a few minutes and when she came back, I was able to see the scores online at the MyQuickStart tab without being prompted for the access code.

I know this has worked for other homeschoolers on a yahoo group I belong to, so maybe it just depends on the person answering the phone.

I tried this too, but the woman wouldn't budge. :glare:

My baby (she's my oldest but turned 13 right after the test) got a 221, 80 (CR)/70 (Math)/71 (Writing).

She went in completely cold, with no prep. We just decided to have her take it the day before the test, so I think that's pretty good.

Terri

How wonderful! Congratulations to you both! :party::party:

Terri

That's great! Congratulations!!!

I was told by the guidance counselor this morning that they wouldn't be sending the scores out until after January 3rd! :confused:

For those of you who received the scores by mail, did they come from the CB or from the school where your child took the test?

I was told by the guidance counselor this morning that they wouldn't be sending the scores out until after January 3rd! :confused:

For those of you who received the scores by mail, did they come from the CB or from the school where your child took the test?

I called CB back to get mine, hoping to get a more sympathetic ear. I just explained that the school didn't have my daughter's scores. As it turns out (I did not know this when I called), the school where she took the test doesn't have anyone's scores. The person I talked to at CB gave me the access code from the score report. Will the guidance counselor at least give you the access code from your daughter's scores? Then you can get them online.

The PSAT people to whom I talked insist that the score report goes to the school and that the school will mail the scores out. I believe that is contrary to what I have read here.

Terri

My guy just got his scores in the mail today (what timing!). His came directly from cb.

I called CB back to get mine, hoping to get a more sympathetic ear. I just explained that the school didn't have my daughter's scores. As it turns out (I did not know this when I called), the school where she took the test doesn't have anyone's scores. The person I talked to at CB gave me the access code from the score report. Will the guidance counselor at least give you the access code from your daughter's scores? Then you can get them online.

The PSAT people to whom I talked insist that the score report goes to the school and that the school will mail the scores out. I believe that is contrary to what I have read here.

Terri

That would be correct.

My school has not received their scores yet. They come bundled in a package of papers for the school to sort and then mail out, and since we're overseas, it takes awhile.

a

ETA: I imagine it depends on what codes you used. Because of my location, I had to use the school code, not a homeschool code.

Edited by asta

We god DS#2's PSAT scores yesterday!! Brag moment - he scored 227! I think we will be doing the national merit stuff one more time...I am so profoundly thankful, and so proud of my son!

Blessings to you all as you wait for scores. I wish all of our kids could be NMFs!

April

Way to go!

Terri

We god DS#2's PSAT scores yesterday!! Brag moment - he scored 227! I think we will be doing the national merit stuff one more time...I am so profoundly thankful, and so proud of my son!

Blessings to you all as you wait for scores. I wish all of our kids could be NMFs!

April

:hurray::party::hurray:

April

That's great! Congratulations!!! I love seeing homeschoolers excel!

Terri

This is really confusing.

I called the CB back and did get a very nice woman who said that if my dd used the correct home school code and if she wrote her address and filled in the bubbles correctly that the test results will come directly to the house.

One can always hope... :001_smile:

I called this morning, and the first person I spoke with insisted that I had to talk to the school's guidance counselor.

I told her that the PSAT website says the scores WON'T be sent to the school, only to our home. (This is because we used the homeschool code.)

She said they still went to the school. So I called the school, and the guidance counselor checked and had no information on my son.

I called PSAT again, and informed them of this, and they repeatedly insisted that I had to go through the guidance counselor. I told them I HAD, and he didn't have the scores.

We repeated this exchange several times ("Ma'am, you need to call the school." "I did. They don't have anything for my son. Now what?")

We both got frustrated. Finally I asked, "So when I hang up and call the counselor again, he will tell me that he has no information....again. What should he do next?"

She paused.

I said, "Do I have him call YOU? Can you release an access code to the counselor? What do you want me to tell the counselor to do?"

At this point, she put me on hold and I was transferred to a supervisor. The counselor asked me all his security questions, and then linked the scores to his Quick Start account.

Whew! :tongue_smilie:

April

Fantastic! Congratulations to you both! :party::party:

Terri

Wow - those are excellent scores for anyone much less a 12-13 year old. Best thing about it is that she got 80 on the CR which is the hardest to improve. The math and writing scores are much easier to bring up. Congratulations!!!

Terri

Congratulations, Terri!

My "baby" (although he's taller than me :glare:) is 13 and got 225 ... CR 67, M 80, W 78. He was jazzed to see the 80 on math :D

He thinks the CR reading passages are super-boring, but I see we have some work to do. Plenty of time, though, which is nice. I won't even bother him about the "boring" CR stuff for a year or two.

Best thing about it is that she got 80 on the CR which is the hardest to improve. The math and writing scores are much easier to bring up. Congratulations!!!

Yes, I imagine that's true ... well, we'll leave that for another day :-)

Here's the interesting bit ... my older son (15) is in ps now and we're still waiting for his scores. I *know* they won't be anywhere near his younger brother's scores, although he's a bright kid and doing well at ps (and finding out that he's *near* the top of the heap, unlike when he was at home -- in homeschool he was always in the bottom half of the class, haha ...).

BTW we had no luck calling the College Board this morning (using the same number posted above, which I got from a yahoo group); then I left for a class and came home to find the scores had come in the mail :001_smile:

Whew! It's nice to finally have the scores. Now to see what older ds gets ...:001_unsure:

~Laura

This was our last exchange with CB this morning in almost the exact same wording, up to the part where you got to talk to a supervisor. If Sushi's scores aren't in the mail today, I'm trying again.

I called this morning, and the first person I spoke with insisted that I had to talk to the school's guidance counselor.

I told her that the PSAT website says the scores WON'T be sent to the school, only to our home. (This is because we used the homeschool code.)

She said they still went to the school. So I called the school, and the guidance counselor checked and had no information on my son.

I called PSAT again, and informed them of this, and they repeatedly insisted that I had to go through the guidance counselor. I told them I HAD, and he didn't have the scores.

We repeated this exchange several times ("Ma'am, you need to call the school." "I did. They don't have anything for my son. Now what?")

We both got frustrated. Finally I asked, "So when I hang up and call the counselor again, he will tell me that he has no information....again. What should he do next?"

She paused.

I said, "Do I have him call YOU? Can you release an access code to the counselor? What do you want me to tell the counselor to do?"

At this point, she put me on hold and I was transferred to a supervisor. The counselor asked me all his security questions, and then linked the scores to his Quick Start account.

Whew! :tongue_smilie:

This was our last exchange with CB this morning in almost the exact same wording, up to the part where you got to talk to a supervisor. If Sushi's scores aren't in the mail today, I'm trying again.

Yeah, she passed me off when (I think) she realized that I needed her to tell me what steps the counselor should take. That wasn't on the script of prepared answers.

I realize that 90% of the calls she probably gets are from ps parents who really do need to call the counselor. So my call was probably something she hasn't encountered often: a homeschooler who used the code AND had *already* spoken with the counselo.

That's great improvement! I'm not looking for anything near NM for DS#3. He's had difficulty (some diagnosed learning disabilities) and doesn't test well. We had him take it because it was a readily accessible standardized test :D He is trying so hard this year and I can really see an improvement. He know what he wants to do and once I showed him the hoops he would have to jump through, he ramped things up a notch.

His score will give me an indication of what we need to work on before college application time. He is in 10th currently. Still nothing in the mail today :glare:

Yeah, she passed me off when (I think) she realized that I needed her to tell me what steps the counselor should take. That wasn't on the script of prepared answers.

I realize that 90% of the calls she probably gets are from ps parents who really do need to call the counselor. So my call was probably something she hasn't encountered often: a homeschooler who used the code AND had *already* spoken with the counselo.

I couldn't get my cs rep to pass me off. She said I had to contact the counselor of the school myself, get her to call the counselor hotline, have CB give Sushi's code to the counselor, then the counselor should call me back with the number.

We have been waiting rather impatiently, and DS's scores came in the mail today. He was a little disappointed with his 211, but I told him that score should guarantee him a Commended Scholar status and was nothing to beat himself up over! His score report said that his scores were higher than 98% of college-bound juniors who took the test. I'm very pleased.

Still no scores here today. At this point, I hope they actually don't come tomorrow, either. That way it can remain a nonissue until after Saturday's ACT (and then another six week mailbox watch!!!).

Congrats to all on all these fantastic scores! They are ALL very impressive!

They came directly to the house.

That's impossible! The first CB rep I talked to just insisted that all of you who said they send scores to your homes were lying, and that CB NEVER, EVER sends scores directly to a student's house. Liar liar pants on fire. ;)

Good job, by the way.

Terri

That's impossible! The first CB rep I talked to just insisted that all of you who said they send scores to your homes were lying, and that CB NEVER, EVER sends scores directly to a student's house. Liar liar pants on fire. ;)

Good job, by the way.

Terri

{shuffling feet and looking down}

Ok, I'll be the first to admit it... they didn't come to my HOUSE... they came to my MAILBOX and I carried the letter into my house... Sorry I lied... {blushing}

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You guys are making me laugh!!! Off to start school.

Christine

{shuffling feet and looking down}

Ok, I'll be the first to admit it... they didn't come to my HOUSE... they came to my MAILBOX and I carried the letter into my house... Sorry I lied... {blushing}