Menu

PSAT results yet, anyone?

Eagerly watching the mail box. I am, anyway. Haven't reminded ds about it, he's taking the ACT this Saturday. In fact, if you were in my shoes and the PSAT scores arrived, would you secretly hold them for opening after Saturday morning's test so it wouldn't be a distraction?

I am wanting to open them myself as soon as they arrive but wonder if that's sort of an invasion of privacy.... Do you open your highschooler's test scores first (since, after all, you are the teacher), or do you wait and let the student see them first?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hold them for sure, but I don't like to be dishonest with the kids, so I would tell Sushi that I was holding the scores until after the ACT.

Still no scores here yet, either. I'm very anxious to see how it went. Sushi surprised us so much on the ACT that I'm afraid I have my hopes set a little too high on this one.

Eagerly watching the mail box. I am, anyway. Haven't reminded ds about it, he's taking the ACT this Saturday. In fact, if you were in my shoes and the PSAT scores arrived, would you secretly hold them for opening after Saturday morning's test so it wouldn't be a distraction?

I am wanting to open them myself as soon as they arrive but wonder if that's sort of an invasion of privacy.... Do you open your highschooler's test scores first (since, after all, you are the teacher), or do you wait and let the student see them first?

Call me "invasive". However, in my defense, I will say that when I have told the boys that their scores arrived, they have asked me to open the envelope and tell them the scores. I figure that I will know them anyways because I have to make the transcript :D Maybe it just depends on the student - my boys are very open and I have all their passwords, ect. usually because it makes life easier for them.

And, if it were me, I would look at the PSAT scores and determine if they are good for that student. If good, I would tell before the ACT because it might be a confidence booster If he bombed the PSAT, I would hold it back and not say ANYTHING until after the ACT.

My ds just took the SAT on Saturday and will take the ACT this Saturday. This will be the last round. He did well on both in October but thought he could raise the SAT (we had a less than perfect SAT situation) a bit if he tried again. But we are both relieved that this is the last time :001_smile:

Call me "invasive". However, in my defense, I will say that when I have told the boys that their scores arrived, they have asked me to open the envelope and tell them the scores. I figure that I will know them anyways because I have to make the transcript :D Maybe it just depends on the student - my boys are very open and I have all their passwords, ect. usually because it makes life easier for them.

And, if it were me, I would look at the PSAT scores and determine if they are good for that student. If good, I would tell before the ACT because it might be a confidence booster If he bombed the PSAT, I would hold it back and not say ANYTHING until after the ACT.

My ds just took the SAT on Saturday and will take the ACT this Saturday. This will be the last round. He did well on both in October but thought he could raise the SAT (we had a less than perfect SAT situation) a bit if he tried again. But we are both relieved that this is the last time :001_smile:

This is actually what I was thinking of doing. IF they arrive before Saturday, that is!

:iagree: This is what I would do in this situation as well. We have not received PSAT scores yet. I'm expecting them this week, but who knows for sure?

I hope the SAT went well this past weekend and that all who are taking the ACT do well too!

We're in the same boat. Still waiting on PSAT scores and preparing for the ACT this Saturday. I'm on pins and needles.

I hadn't thought of holding the scores until after the ACT. Hmmm, now you've got me thinking! :tongue_smilie:

I need those scores for planning our test practice curriculum for the spring. Dd will not take another test until she has practiced a bit, especially writing the essays. I just hope that the practicing that she did this fall will raise her scores a few points so I can say "See, I told you so!!!!!"

LOL! That reminds me of the time my boys' preschool teacher told me that the boys were really "behind" because they could not write their address. Our address includes 5 numbers for the "house", some cardinal directions (NE, SW) and the road name is 4 numbers long. Essentially they had to know more than most kids' phone numbers! We don't have the sweet, easy addresses like 2345 Rose Lane. Sheesh!

We always have important mail delivered to dh's office in town rather than have it sit in our rural mailbox. So the boys now have to know 2 addresses. It still confuses them at times :D

Still no scores yet. On Monday, I received a call from the school counselor, who said the school received their students' scores already. He sent out ds's test booklet and I received that today. Waiting is hard...

I've called the counselor twice this week and I'm told she's very busy and will call me back "at some point". The assistant said she doesn't know where the test booklets are and hasn't seen them. There were only two home schooled kids there that day, and I have a feeling neither of them will ever see those booklets. :glare:

Just got email notification that scores were online. However, I haven't received the paper scores yet so I have no access code :glare: But it looks like we should receive them shortly (ds took it this year as a 10th grader).

Same situation here, except my 10th grader is a girl. I'm anxious to see how she did!

If your son or daughter already has a College Board account, you can call and tell them you homeschool, and they will grant you online access to the 2010 scores without needing the access code you will receive in the mail.

Since we live in Oregon and the score reports seem to be moving slowly across the country, I did this today and was happy to find out that my son should definitely be a NMSF.

Hope this helps those of you who are anxiously waiting.

Frances

If your son or daughter already has a College Board account, you can call and tell them you homeschool, and they will grant you online access to the 2010 scores without needing the access code you will receive in the mail.

Since we live in Oregon and the score reports seem to be moving slowly across the country, I did this today and was happy to find out that my son should definitely be a NMSF.

I tried this twice today with no luck. How did you do it?

First, I asked for the access code and she said I should call his hs guidance counselor and ask for the code. After I explained that we homeschool, she said she could give me online access. She went away for a few minutes and when she came back, I was able to see the scores online at the MyQuickStart tab without being prompted for the access code.

I know this has worked for other homeschoolers on a yahoo group I belong to, so maybe it just depends on the person answering the phone.

First, I asked for the access code and she said I should call his hs guidance counselor and ask for the code. After I explained that we homeschool, she said she could give me online access. She went away for a few minutes and when she came back, I was able to see the scores online at the MyQuickStart tab without being prompted for the access code.

I know this has worked for other homeschoolers on a yahoo group I belong to, so maybe it just depends on the person answering the phone.

That's great! I'll call tomorrow!

Thanks! :)

Thanks for this info! If we don't get the envelope in the mail today, I'm calling!

Well, I tried again to request access and was told that I must be misinformed. The individual at the College Board said that they do not have the capability to provide access to the PSAT scores/Quickstart. Sigh. I argued -- nicely -- that others were being given this access. I was told that this must be word-of-mouth misinformation.

If anyone else has success with this, I would love to know. The scores where my ds took his test were distributed two days ago. It is hard to be patient. :rolleyes:

We were able to get dd's PSAT scores this morning by calling! I spoke with a representataive in the SAT department and, in his words, he "linked the PSAT scores with her online account" for us. Then, when I logged into her account the scores were available without an access code.

My dd is kicking herself right now. She scored a 210...ugh! For us (FL), the 2010 cutoff was 211 and the 2011 cutoff was 210, so she is right on the edge for NMSF. It can go either way for her. She is so upset...I'm trying to explain how proud I am! She expected much more (she has taken the ACT twice and scored in the 97th and 98th percentiles, respectively).

She should, however, be a National Achievement Scholar (we are African American), so she should be proud of herself - but she is not :-(

Best wishes to those who are still awaiting their scores!

Edited by cupajoe

I called today and was told that I had to wait for the paper report. We have an online account from last year. It took until February last year for me to get my son's results -- many phone calls and many promises that they were "in the mail." I finally had enough of hearing that "they are in the mail and some just take longer to get to people than others" and insisted (in as nice of a way as I could muster at that point) that my son's scores be sent to me.

So I have started my log this year of when I called and with whom I spoke. I was told that the scores should be here by the end of next week and to call back if they weren't.

We live in the south where the ACT is accepted at most colleges. Unless my son decides that he wants to apply to a school that requires the SAT, we will not be taking it after the customer service that I received there last year.

I called today and was told that I had to wait for the paper report.

I wonder if the reason it worked for me is because I accidentally called the "SAT" department instead of the PSAT department. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice. I explained we were homeschoolers, that our dd took the PSAT at the local high school, and that we haven't received the paper scores yet.

He looked up her PSAT information using her name and birthdate, verified all of our info (address, etc), verified dd's online acct. username, and then simply "linked" the PSAT score to her online acct. It took 5 minutes tops.

Perhaps try again? Maybe you will get a different representative. I know how frustrated you must be.

HTH.

Got ours by calling (couldn't wait for the mail to come). I'm bummed too. My guy got a 212, but that's way too low for PA. He should make commended status, but that's it. We knew his chances weren't good because he had a time issue with the first math section. The proctor put the end time on the board, but my son's watch was 5 minutes behind the school's clock (he didn't cross check it) and the proctor never gave a 5 minute warning or anything, so he didn't get to three questions. Then, looking at his score report, he missed 2 other questions too - making math his lowest score instead of being his highest as is his normal. I was hoping he might have gotten all the rest correct. It's amazing how quickly the score dropped with missing just a few questions on each section. I can see why most kids thought the test was easy.

Oh well. He still did well and I love him! It's just good he has a high ACT score so we don't have to worry about taking the SAT. Other than AP tests, his college testing should be finished unless we change our mind.

Editing to add that my guy only missed 5 total math questions to get his score, not 6 as I previously had written down. One of the missed questions is apparently in a section that wasn't counted as per the report. (?) The "official" report says he missed 5.

Edited by creekland

I wonder if the reason it worked for me is because I accidentally called the "SAT" department instead of the PSAT department. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice. I explained we were homeschoolers, that our dd took the PSAT at the local high school, and that we haven't received the paper scores yet.

He looked up her PSAT information using her name and birthdate, verified all of our info (address, etc), verified dd's online acct. username, and then simply "linked" the PSAT score to her online acct. It took 5 minutes tops.

Perhaps try again? Maybe you will get a different representative. I know how frustrated you must be.

HTH.

This is what I did too. The gentleman I talked with was VERY friendly and helpful.

Wow! That's a fantastic score even if it isn't qualifying! He should be proud of himself.

I'm going to make sure he's proud of himself. It's only here that I'm venting about the "circumstances." And, it's only because this kid is this level and had hopes for making it. If my oldest or youngest got that score I think I'd have fainted with happiness. ;)

Incidentally, I was somewhat pleased when I looked at his 2010 score because I accidentally clicked on his 2009 scores first and thought, "WOW, he didn't go up at ALL!" in a rather depressed sort of way. Then it occurred to me that it was no longer 2009... So much for MY score of intelligence this morning! :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to make sure he's proud of himself. It's only here that I'm venting about the "circumstances." And, it's only because this kid is this level and had hopes for making it. If my oldest or youngest got that score I think I'd have fainted with happiness. ;)

Incidentally, I was somewhat pleased when I looked at his 2010 score because I accidentally clicked on his 2009 scores first and thought, "WOW, he didn't go up at ALL!" in a rather depressed sort of way. Then it occurred to me that it was no longer 2009... So much for MY score of intelligence this morning! :tongue_smilie:

I hate it when the "circumstances" interfere with the test. We've had some poor testing sites where the proctor leaves the room and then runs back in and announces "you have 30 seconds"!:glare: The room has a clock but it is in the back of the room and the students are informed that they cannot look around :001_huh: Ds#2 always runs into a time problem...so we went to another venue for the ACT this weekend. Hopefully it will be better. He will have a watch - he's refused to take a watch before saying that it is distracting :tongue_smilie:

Ugh. Got transferred 3 times to different areas, ending up with the PSAT department, who informed me that (1) there is no possible way anyone at CB or PSAT can get scores without the access code (so I guess all you who called and got them are liars :glare:) and (2) my daughter's score will be mailed to the school where she took it, 'cause PSAT never sends out individual score reports.

I was polite but insistent that there has to be a way, 'cause I know (using "know" loosely here) people for whom neither of the above absolutes has been true. She insists, less politely, that no, this is it, she is right, there is no one else at PSAT or College Board who can get the results. I said, "Really? You are IT for College Board? There is no other person or department who can answer this question, when I know that what you are telling me is not always true?" And she basically says, "Yeah."

I did just e-mail the school to see if they have her score. Big sigh. I should just call back and start over.

Terri

My guy got a 212, but that's way too low for PA. He should make commended status, but that's it. QUOTE]

Congratulations on your ds's awesome score! I know how he must be feeling since it's not as high as he hoped. Commended is amazing.

:grouphug: from a family in the same boat!

I had an experience similar to Terri's. I called the PSAT line, waited about 30 minutes, was transferred 3 times, and was finally told that there was no way to get access code information over the phone. I was told that I should contact the administrator at the school where Sushi took the test even though he is not a student there.