Menu

Low Calorie Dinner Ideas

For the last 2 months, I have had to be off of one of my migraine preventatives. During that time, I've had migraines almost every day, AND I've gained 10 lbs. During the months before that, the doctor did 2 other changes in my preventatives which caused me to gain 10 lbs. So, now I find myself up 20 lbs from where I was 6 months ago and where I should be. I was able to go back on my best preventative last Tuesday and have worked out 1-2 hours every day since. I am restricting calories to 1200/day. The problem is, I just don't have enough dinner ideas that work with a restricted calorie diet.

Who has ideas and suggestions of quick easy (or crockpot) meals that are low calorie and preferably that children will eat. We eat a lot of lean ground beef or turkey and boneless skinless chicken breast. In the summer I grill a lot, but this time of year that is out.

I'm counting on the hive for some great ideas. I've gotten some of our favorite meals from all of you in the past, but they aren't all low calorie. Who's got ideas?

Thanks!

Taco Salad: cook chicken breasts in the crockpot either with Rotel tomatoes and salt, or salsa. Open up and heat a can of refried beans. Chop a head of lettuce and any other salad fixings you have. Serve with tortilla chips (count them to make sure it fits in your calorie budget), sour cream (I use plain yogurt instead), salsa, shredded cheese.

Ropa Vieja. It is a great crockpot meal and it is pretty low calorie. Especially if you use lean beef and eat it as a stew instead of over a big bowl of rice. You can adjust the spiciness by either leaving out or adding more chilis.

That looks delicious. My kids would eat it wrapped in a tortilla!

Thanks!

Taco Salad: cook chicken breasts in the crockpot either with Rotel tomatoes and salt, or salsa. Open up and heat a can of refried beans. Chop a head of lettuce and any other salad fixings you have. Serve with tortilla chips (count them to make sure it fits in your calorie budget), sour cream (I use plain yogurt instead), salsa, shredded cheese.

I cook chicken this way and make chicken soft tacos on low carb tortillas. I make taco salad with hamburger. I don't know why I'd never thought to put the chicken on the taco salad for a change. Great idea, thanks!

In my crockpot today:

boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 can black beans, drained & rinse

1 pkg. whole kernal corn (frozen)

1 jar salsa

Cooking on low for 6-8 hours and will serve with rice. For leftovers I will serve on tortillas. My family loves this and it's easy & healthy.

In my crockpot today:

boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 can black beans, drained & rinse

1 pkg. whole kernal corn (frozen)

1 jar salsa

Cooking on low for 6-8 hours and will serve with rice. For leftovers I will serve on tortillas. My family loves this and it's easy & healthy.

That sounds great too!

I love all these chicken breast ideas. Everyone here is tired of mine.:glare:

That looks delicious. My kids would eat it wrapped in a tortilla!

Thanks!

Be careful - it is meant as a thick stew so it is very juicy. The first time we ate it on tortillas I didn't drain it and it made a huge mess! Now we usually eat it over rice to soak up the juices, or drain it and use it as burrito filling.

Be careful - it is meant as a thick stew so it is very juicy. The first time we ate it on tortillas I didn't drain it and it made a huge mess! Now we usually eat it over rice to soak up the juices, or drain it and use it as burrito filling.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be careful. My kids won't eat things like peppers and onions if they see them, but they will eat them wrapped in a tortilla where they are out of sight. :lol: My dd is starting to get past this but ds is autistic spectrum and while he doesn't have the limited diet he once did, he can still be scared off easily by the looks of foods.