Menu

Are your kids shoes stuffed with chocolate coins?

Happy St. Nicholas Day!

I've got the shoes stuffed with gold foil coins and candy canes and switches too! Now I'm just waiting for them to wake up to see what St. Nicholas and Krampusz brought. I even found antique greeting cards to print that have a personalized note for each kid.

They're up! Gotta go!

It went over well. They could only see the switches at first then they found the treats hidden inside their notes. The switches are for bad children from the Krampusz, the treats are for good children from St. Nicholas. When you're old enough not to freak out, you get both. In Hungary they even sell golden switches with fancy bows. I went with an economy model I found at Target in the Christmas decoration aisle. The idea is that no one is all good or all bad, so you get a bit of both.

This year St. Nicholas came a day early to accommodate our oldest girls. What a great guy! He did not leave chocolate coins; instead, he left assorted chocolates and some real coins. He also left a dvd under each shoe...he is obviously also a scifi/fantasy fan - who knew?

ETA: I like the switch idea. My crew are certainly a little of both!!!

BTW, is anyone planning a great dinner? We had Sauerbraten, potato balls, red cabbage, sprouts, carrots and a custard-apple kuchen. Mmmmmm....it was a lot of work but so worth it.

Edited by Liza Q

Oh thank goodness you posted this thread. I glanced at the title and said "Holy Cow!" and rushed off to make sure things were in shoes. Oops.:blushing:

Looks like St Nicholas left (in the nick of time) sugared almonds, gold coins, and a saint card in each. With hope that the last of those is like a reverse-switch: carrot rather than stick.

For your holiday enjoyment (and enlightenment if you have no clue what holiday it is):

Don't watch these with littles who might be scared by St. Nicholas' scary sidekick. Oh, and the cartoon one is wrong, Krampusz comes on Dec. 6, not Christmas eve.

Here's a grown-up's only commentary on Dutch traditions by David Sedaris:

This is hilarious, but has language and obvious "Santa is a cultural construct, not a real guy" content.

Well, no. But, Oma will have a tray full of treats (chocolates, marzipan, speculaas, and clementines) when we see her later.

ETA: Dd did get St. Niklaas treats last week at Dutch school too. When they're out of the room, the zwarte Piets come in & leave little treats all over the place -- the tables, the floors, etc....

Edited by Stacia

Yes! DS4 was so cute. We left the shoes with carrots and apples for the horse by the door, but St. Nick left them, with a couple little wrapped treats, on a little table. DS4 ran right past the gifts to the door and was so excited to discover the horse had eaten the carrots and apples. DS1, who has never had chocolate coins, immediately grabbed a couple and declared nyum nyum. How do they know? :lol: So glad we've added this to our traditions. :)

Of course! St. Nicholas leaves chocolate coins and other candy in the shoes and he also leaves 3 presents for each child. A DVD (usually Christmas, but we have most of those now, so "Toy Story 3" for my 9 yo this time), a Christmas book, and one toy. Tides them over until Christmas Eve. In theory. :lol: