Menu

Guerber or Marshall?

CarynB

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the differences between Story of the Thirteen Colonies & The Story of the Great Republic vs. H.E. Marshall's book? Would one be preferred over the other for a younger age range (as read alouds)? I'll have 4 kids listening in, the oldest would be a 5th grader. Thanks!

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the differences between Story of the Thirteen Colonies & The Story of the Great Republic vs. H.E. Marshall's book? Would one be preferred over the other for a younger age range (as read alouds)? I'll have 4 kids listening in, the oldest would be a 5th grader. Thanks!

Which H.E. Marshall book are you referring to?

This Country of Ours perhaps?

Another question: do you mean the original Guerbuer books or the revised & lightly edited ones by Christine Miller (Nothing New Press)? From what I've read of them (I haven't read them all the way through) they've out the slurs and other inappropriate names.

Yes, I'm referring to the editions from Nothing New Press.

You know what? You are going to get many different opinions! H.E. Marshall bored my kids to tears. We vastly prefer Guerber! In fact I credit trying to read This Country of Ours out loud to my kids with the total mental block my 11 yo has against history. I've been trying to recover from this for several years now!

• 2 weeks later...

The original Guerber editions and TCOO are available online to check them out for free. Here's a link to one of Guerber's: http://books.google.com/books?id=1vQXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=guerber&hl=en&ei=WsmMTJXVN4SBlAeEzc1g&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

and TCOO is linked in the free American History 1 curriculum at www.guesthollow.com.

My boys, 7 & 9, prefer Guerber.

I enjoy Guerber. I read them aloud to my oldest when she was in 4th and 5th, but she probably could have read them herself. Heading back to ancients I am going to use them as her spine, and this time she will read them on her own.

They have relatively small reading portions, a page maybe two once in a while. It is more detailed than STOW hands down, so depending on your pace it could work with younger children listening in. One story a day would probably work, more might be too much information.

I haven't read Marshall at all.

Heather

Actually, for those ages use neither. Child's Story of America will be perfect for those ages. I'm still reading it to dd (TRYING to get it finished!), and it seems the older she gets, the more she gets out of it. Guerber, while amazing to listen to, has so much detail things get lost in the bushes. With CSOA the narrative is a bit more focused. Check it out.