Menu

iso: family goal planning guide

I have twins who are 12 and a daughter who is 8. As my boys are about to enter teenage years , I am thinking a lot about what is important for us to do as a family and what is good but not as important. I want to look back when they graduate and think we were purposeful in parenting and knew what our mission statement as a family, didnt let activities crowd out family time and engaged in activities that were meaningful and not just of the moment. I am looking for a book or workbook to give DH and I the questions to think thru these ideas and more. Anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks

Trisha

7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Steven Covey

This book is awesome. The 2nd Habit is all about developing a family mission statement. All of the habits are literally life-changing. I really want to work on a family mission statement, but I haven't gotten dh on board yet.

Good luck!

I 2nd this book. It's good and sounds like just what you are looking for.

I am in a situation where my two, ages 15 and 16, are off in February to out of the home education- school and college...and I am looking back asking myself what I could have done differently...is there anything I would have done better or differently given the chance.

And nothing is really standing out to me. On the academic side...I just had to let go of all my high ideals at the time because we couldnt do it all, or at least we couldnt to the important stuff well if we tried to do it all.

Out of the house activities naturally atrophied as they dedicated themselves to the couple of ones they were most interested in (and which also provided the most social activity for them).

Family wise...well, homeschooling is just awesome for that. We spend time together. We dont actually 'do' a lot together - we are all pretty independent and have our own separate activities- but we do spend a lot of time together at home, eating together, talking.

All in all, I am sooooo happy with how my kids are turning out, and how our family is.

I have twins who are 12 and a daughter who is 8. As my boys are about to enter teenage years , I am thinking a lot about what is important for us to do as a family and what is good but not as important. I want to look back when they graduate and think we were purposeful in parenting and knew what our mission statement as a family, didnt let activities crowd out family time and engaged in activities that were meaningful and not just of the moment. I am looking for a book or workbook to give DH and I the questions to think thru these ideas and more. Anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks

Trisha

We've used Managers of their Homes (http://www.titus2.com). I still go back to this occasionally, when I need to rebalance. Mostly I just use Excel to create my schedule, but I'm often turning over the issue of priorities in my mind.