Menu

What is the point of sentence patterns?

Samiam

My DS12 is doing Analytical Grammar. There are several lessons on Sentence Pattern #1, #2, #3, #4, #5..........really?????

I couldn't even tell you what those are at the moment, I would have to go back and re-read the lesson (even though we go over the lesson together).

This is our fourth grammar program we have done since 1st grade (used the same publisher for a few years, and then switched, did this a couple of times). I don't remember seeing this Sentence pattern stuff in any other program.

I like grammar. DS12 never complains, he is a pattern type guy, and grammar is all about patterns.

I have a college degree. I love to read. I can write rather well.

So what is the point of learning sentence patterns?!?!! AG is really over-killing it, IMHO, and it is completely boring.

Will I be failing my child if we skip these lessons?? I managed to succeed in life and have never known this information.

I think that a very few people might find this stuff useful, and another small group might find it interesting or enjoyable, but for the vast majority it's simply something you do so you can think that you and your child are superior to the people who haven't learnt it.

[Ducks for cover]

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't know about other grammar curricula but Shurley English uses sentence patterns. We found them helpful because you can see how the sentence is organized. For us remembering the number of the pattern wasn't as important as being able to see the pattern. The patterns are introduced much more gradually in Shurley (over many years) than in AG. I really enjoyed Shurley (we used Levels 3 - 7) and wanted continue grammar (Shurley ends at Level 7) so we tried AG this year. My boys HATE it (especially the diagramming but also say it's boring) so we have quit and will be switching to MCT's Magic Lens 1 as soon as it's revised.

ETA that since I haven't used the entire AG I don't know how much skipping them would affect the use of the curriculum. My guess is you could and be fine but I can't say this from experience.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I think that a very few people might find this stuff useful, and another small group might find it interesting or enjoyable, but for the vast majority it's simply something you do so you can think that you and your child are superior to the people who haven't learnt it.

[Ducks for cover]

Why would you think that:confused: I think they are a tool, and certainly don't feel superior to anyone because we found them useful.

It's really no great mystery. The point of the patterns is to take what could possibly be thousands of different sentences and boil them down to 5 types. It's really there to simplify.

Don't focus on them too much. It's the process chart that really tells you what you need to know.

For my dd11 and dd14, the sentence patterns helped them understand that even though sentences say a lot of different things, the parts are all the same.

It's not so much remembering each and every pattern. It's a way of looking at something and knowing how to deal with it's parts.

I'm pretty certain my dc don't spend time feeling superior while we do the lessons.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

It's really no great mystery. The point of the patterns is to take what could possibly be thousands of different sentences and boil them down to 5 types. It's really there to simplify.

Don't focus on them too much. It's the process chart that really tells you what you need to know.

The point is not really the number at all. It is just seeing the pattern. Once you get into phrases in Season 2 the phrases just stand in for one of the parts of speech, but the sentences continue to be one of the 5 types.

I loved finally figuring out you could quantify the English language for the most part. For us analytical types, it is gold.

Heather

The point is not really the number at all. It is just seeing the pattern. Once you get into phrases in Season 2 the phrases just stand in for one of the parts of speech, but the sentences continue to be one of the 5 types.

I loved finally figuring out you could quantify the English language for the most part. For us analytical types, it is gold.

Heather

That. Except we haven't hit season 2 yet. This program is SO what I needed, though, to explain grammar to my very analytical, logical, pattern-oriented ds.

Also, I think the patterns can be useful in structuring and analyzing one's own written work, and it provides a vocabulary for a teacher and student to discuss effective sentence structure in student work.

BJUP also teaches sentence patterns. The point of them is so that the student understands that certain combinations are not possible. For instance, you cannot have a Subject, linking verb, direct object sentence. That pattern is not possible.

I think it is supposed to narrow the range from all-the-word-combinations-possible to a few basic, simple patterns. Sort of like math facts: Once you've learned them, that's it. They don't keep inventing new combinations. And that should keep the learner from feeling overwhelmed.

I think it is supposed to narrow the range from all-the-word-combinations-possible to a few basic, simple patterns. Sort of like math facts: Once you've learned them, that's it. They don't keep inventing new combinations. And that should keep the learner from feeling overwhelmed.

I agree.

And this is most helpful for students who are more math oriented than language oriented. If you can break things into patterns, grammar is no longer some nebulous, confusing wasteland to them. :D