Menu

paying for vision therapy?

MeganW

Dr. Bugaiski at The Developmental Vision Center in Charlotte, NC has evaluated two of my triplets, and the third is scheduled soon. He put one in glasses, and we are to check back in 3 months. He thought it was a 50/50 shot that she might need vision therapy. He put my son in glasses, and we are to start VT with him in January. And the third is coming up, and shows similar signs, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up in VT as well.

I feel like we are caught between a rock & a hard place. My kids NEED this therapy, but they also need a house and food! We have enough income to live comfortably, but not enough to easily spend thousands extra per month on VT.

Has anyone had any success getting insurance to cover this? We have Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Also, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone else here used Dr. B or anyone else in Charlotte?

And I thought that having *one* child in VT at a time was expensive!

I have heard that if the doctor certifies that the only other treatment for the patient's condition is surgery, then sometimes insurance companies will cover VT.

You might also be able to get the doctor/vision therapist to design a program where each child has an appointment every third week. You would need to be vigilant with homework, but it might work. That way you would only be shouldering the cost of one appointment per week rather than three. I'm sure they would understand the financial difficulty of having three in therapy at the same time.

http://www.vtcharlotte.com

http://www.optometrists.org/beasley/

Did you do a search at http://www.covd.org ? There are a few other FCOVD docs listed. Wouldn't go down to a regular, since you found a Fellow. Have you talked with his office about what insurance will cover? Ours would cover certain blocks (months) of the therapy that were working on certain skills but not other blocks, go figure. The long and short was we paid everything and they ran everything through, trying to see what the insurance would cover. Anything the insurance covered got our rate down. I didn't realize it, but even when it's going toward your deductible (meaning you're paying), the rates will go down if the insurance company has an agreement for rates.

Since there are three fellows of COVD in Charlotte, you might check them all out and see if they differ in rates, how they do things, etc. I would consider it an especially good sign to find one that does sports vision, since that's a more hands-on form of therapy. At our place they do regular VT, sports vision therapy, and PACE (cognitive therapy for auditory and visual processing). So think about it. When you get a therapist at the place I go, that therapist is trained, not only in regular VT, but all those other things, giving them a lot more perspective and a lot more tricks to pull from their bag. Also, at our place they have quite a few therapists. So the docs evaluate and the therapists do all the work. This makes them very experienced at it, again able to pull a lot of tricks from their bag. They blend hands-on, traditional paper stuff, computer, games, etc. It's not just one modality.

Those are just some things to look for as you decide who to use. That's rough to have three kids needing it! I could see two directions. One, you could decide to do everybody at once. Save up your money, beg for discounts based on hardship (ours has sliding scales, surely yours would do something), and just go for it. It's so disruptive, and it takes so much time to do the homework, drive to the appointments, etc., I think it would be nice to do everyone at once. But if that's not reality, then you do the child who is struggling the most first.

Are they getting bifocals or something? My dd was 20/20 but they gave her reading glasses. The glasses aggravated the focusing and convergence problems so we went from troubles with school to being able to do NO school. Worst $200 I ever spent. But I understand sometimes they aren't 20/20 or need bifocals or something different. But just to try reading glasses to get away without VT, well that was a huge waste for us.

And yes, I would scrimp on food, sell the dog, do anything to get VT. It's THAT life-changing. Return Christmas presents, cancel cable and cell phones, yes, I would do those things to get VT. Maybe you'll have a tax return coming in April to get one of them going?

• 10 months later...

This is an OLD thread but I wanted to know if the OP ended up doing the VT. Would you recommend the doctor you saw? Do you know anything about any other doctors here in Charlotte?? I'm HSing my 4 year old (same birthday (not year, obv) as your triplets!) and she has congenital vision issues we're trying to deal with. I'd be thrilled if you saw this and could respond. Thanks!!

This is an OLD thread but I wanted to know if the OP ended up doing the VT. Would you recommend the doctor you saw? Do you know anything about any other doctors here in Charlotte?? I'm HSing my 4 year old (same birthday (not year, obv) as your triplets!) and she has congenital vision issues we're trying to deal with. I'd be thrilled if you saw this and could respond. Thanks!!

I called every single COVD dr in Charlotte and went with Dr Farham at Summit in Gastonia. Much much much cheaper. I felt like many of the dr's were JUST in it to make money. Very disappointing!

I called every single COVD dr in Charlotte and went with Dr Farham at Summit in Gastonia. Much much much cheaper. I felt like many of the dr's were JUST in it to make money. Very disappointing!

Good to know!! Do you know if the therapy differed from the expensive places??

Thanks!

Good to know!! Do you know if the therapy differed from the expensive places??

Thanks!

We are doing the at home program which many other places do not offer but there in office prices are even much cheaper. $75 vs $135 for a session and the evaluation is half the price too. There is another place in Gastonia on the covd website that was much cheaper than the other places too!

Talk to the doctor. People don't always realize that doctors will sometimes take individual cases into account. I know my hubby has. I would go to the doctor and see if he could make a deal since you will probably have 3 doing this. If people are truly in financial straights and willing to try a little, then many doctors will try to help them. Our youth pastor and his wife didn't have health insurance and became pregnant with high risk twins. ( right before they came to us, so they couldn't get coverage) They are financially responsible. They made every effort. She ended up being hospitalized for a couple of months. They've worked everything out using a variety of means. So always talk to the doctor. BTW, it they won't budge, I'd find someone else. Don't always stop at the financial person in the office either. Ask to speak to the doctor.

Don't forget about Gap Excpetions. In our area (I'm in Charlotte also) none of the Developmental Optometrists take insurance. This means that they are considered "out of network" with the insurance company. I called my insurance company and got a 'gap exception' approval. Since there are no "in network" vision therapist providers in a certain radius of my zip code with the gap exception all of my vision therapy appts are covered as "in network".