Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Week 49

Today is the start of book week 49 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Where are you in your quest? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

52 Books blog - W is for wishes. What is on your Christmas wish list? I shared a few of the books that are currently on my wish list. Have you even started thinking about christmas? I haven't quite gotten my head wrapped around the thought yet. Maybe once we start decorating I'll get in the mood.

What are you reading this week?

I just finished reading Tami Hoag's "Deeper than the Dead." Never read any of her books before, so have discovered a new to me author that I will be reading more of in 2011.

Now I'm reading Roxanne St. Claire's newest book in a new series "Edge of Sight." She's one of my favorites.

I just now found last week's thread -- glad you put a link into this week's as I assumed last week's was this week's. I'm extra muddled and confused thanks to a stinker of a cold.

It would be nice to see this thread continue into 2011. I'm no longer homeschooling as of January as my youngest will start at community college full time. I need an excuse other than boredom to come hang out with y'all!

I haven't quite finished #51 or #52...

#51 is Charlote Bronte: A Passionate Life. It is a good biography of Charlotte which KarenAnne lent me. I put it down to start.....

#52 Wuthering Heights which I blame it for my putting the brakes on my reading. This was my third try with this book, I'm near the end, but it is such a drudge!! I really hate the characters!! I know -- it is dearly loved by many, and I'm really trying to appreciate it on a more academic and intellectual level, but jeez!! I think I prefer Monty Python's semaphore version better!

I've been so busy lately that my reading is taking a hit. I'm still reading Little Green Men, lol.

BTW, I heard a great interview on the Bob Edwards weekend show this morning. Bob Edwards talked with Carlos Eire, the author of Waiting for Snow in Havana. Carlos Eire has a new book out called Learning to Die in Miami: Confessions of a Refugee Boy. I thought of Daisy immediately because it was her recommendation that led to me reading Waiting for Snow in Havana. If you have time to listen to a repeat of the show, I'd definitely recommend listening to the interview. (P.S. Thanks, Daisy, for turning me onto his writing. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this new book. :001_smile:)

Well, I just finished No Dogs in Heaven? (a bio of a vet). Currently I'm reading Saber's Edge, Crimes Against Liberty, Jotham's Journey, and The Christmas Mystery. I'm far behind, but I'll be on a cruise in a few days, with a nice balcony, and my Kindle, so I plan on catching up.

I finished (devoured is more like it :D ) #64 - The Dean's Watch, by Elizabeth Goudge. I loved this book! The characterization; the truth so plainly but gently stated; the insights; the authors' style of writing, great vocabulary, expressive turn of phrase - I didn't want this book to end . . .

I am currently reading #65 - The Scent of Water, also by Elizabeth Goudge. It is another page-turner and I am heading back to these new acquaintances as soon as I post this!

Having worked for years in libraries, I am simply stunned that I had never-before-now read these wonderful Goudge stories - so full of life and yet such gentle reading.

It would be nice to see this thread continue into 2011. I'm no longer homeschooling as of January as my youngest will start at community college full time.

How exciting for him. Enjoy all your "free" time.

I didn't read anything last week. Nothing had come in from the library. Now, I'm reading Michelle Style: Celebrating the First Lady of Fashion and The Bilingual Family: A Handbook for Parents.

Well I started the book-a-week concept with the best of intentions. I fear that I may not have maintained the pace; I certainly have not been posting regularly in the threads.

Inadequacies aside, I'd like to report on a book that I read last week: Ted Gup's A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness--and a Trove of Letters--Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression.

Gup is a former investigative reporter for the Washington Post, now a journalism prof. Turns out that his skills were put to use in assembling the pieces of an incident in his own family's background. In 1933, his Jewish grandfather who owned clothing store in Canton, OH, placed an anonymous ad in that city's newspaper, offering to help families in need at Christmas. The letters he received were saved. They reveal personal stories of the Great Depression, followed up by interviews with the children and grandchildren of the original letter writers.

The book shows that one man's generosity may not have solved the economic problems facing so many families at the time, but how his small gift to so many in the community created hope. It is an inspiring tale that befits this holiday season.

Now...on to my new discovery. The Bloomsbury Group is republishing early 20th century books that look like my cuppa tea. I am starting with Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys.

9781408802816.jpg

I just finished reading Little Bee. It is a great book, not at all what I expected.

I wished for a Kindle for Christmas & yesterday I got my wish! I am so excited, as we have truly run out of room here to store books & can't get our bookshelves expanded until next year. After reading on it, I know I will never give up print books, but I do think this is a great way to make reading more portable & accessible.

I am reading Sense & Sensibility this week - a free download. I wonder if that will become the theme of my life? I already downloaded a free book for ds literature reading as well.

Edited by TechWife

Just finished Marjorie Liu's latest urban fantasy A Wild Light which is the third in a series. I enjoyed it.

I recently began The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time and intend to get back to it. I do need to start my next book group book as we meet this weekend. It's Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey.

Regards,

Kareni

I wished for a Kindle for Christmas & yesterday I got my wish!

Cool, the e-readers do come in handy for reading classics and other books and save space as well.

Just finished Marjorie Liu's latest urban fantasy A Wild Light which is the third in a series. I enjoyed it.Kareni

I finished the first two in the series and downloaded "A Wild Light" today. Looking forward to checking out her other books.