Menu

Back leg problem in our dog. Any ideas what is wrong?

Our dog is 11 but in very good health and very energetic. She can walk for hours without tiring. My dd and dh had her out for a short walk today. Ever since she is favoring her back leg. She will hold it up and try to hop on 3 legs. When she gets tired she puts it down then pulls it right back up. I have examined her paw all over and it looks fine. I have rubbed her hip a little which she actually seemed to enjoy which is wierd because she often doesn't even like to be touched. She is a Finnish Spitz and they rarely have health problems or hip/joint problems.

A short walk that she's used to? Did she chase after something? Did ANYTHING out of the ordinary happen? Have you spread her toes and check there and between the deep crevices of all her pads?

I would not walk her much until this cleared, and it likely will do so.

Even though this breed isn't known for hip issues, I certainly wouldn't rule that out at her age, especially if it's arthritis.

It really could be a bunch of things.

A slipped disc ,a torn or partial tear to a cruciate ligmanent, just a sore/sprained/strained limb.

Something could have pinched her/jabbed her on your walk.

I would recommend strict rest(leash only) for 2-3 days if no improvement schedule a vet visit while keeping her on strict rest. That also means no playing in the house.

Hang in there.

Our dog is 11 but in very good health and very energetic. She can walk for hours without tiring. My dd and dh had her out for a short walk today. Ever since she is favoring her back leg. She will hold it up and try to hop on 3 legs. When she gets tired she puts it down then pulls it right back up. I have examined her paw all over and it looks fine. I have rubbed her hip a little which she actually seemed to enjoy which is wierd because she often doesn't even like to be touched. She is a Finnish Spitz and they rarely have health problems or hip/joint problems.

It could be any number of things, but I'd suspect a torn ACL (common injury in dogs,) and I'd keep her quiet (leash walking, no running, jumping, playing) and see how she is in a couple of days. So sorry-- it's hard to see any of our beloveds in pain! :grouphug:

astrid

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Our dog is resting in her crate. She is not one to play so we shouldn't have a problem keeping her resting at home. It is only when we suggest a walk that she goes crazy and then her energy never quits. She seems to be putting more weight on the back leg but is still favoring it.