Menu

CW Poetry for Beginners?

I'm trying to figure out 2nd semester LA for my oldest, who is working at about a middle school level in that subject. She has completed MCT's Building Poems but I'm not sure how much she actually comprehended & retained of the chapters on meter & stanza. So I'm curious about whether CW Poetry for Beginners might be something good for her to do. I looked at the samples on Lulu but while they had a lot of background info, I couldn't find any samples of an actual assignment.

Please tell me all about your experience with CW Poetry for Beginners. Thanks!

I can't make a comparison to MCT, but we have used CW Poetry. This was one of my daughter's all-time favorite classes. Each week includes analysis of a poem (including meter, stanzas, figures, etc.) as well has grammar analysis, and poem imitation. I think that by imitating the poem, the student gets a really solid understanding of meter.

I'm trying to figure out 2nd semester LA for my oldest, who is working at about a middle school level in that subject. She has completed MCT's Building Poems but I'm not sure how much she actually comprehended & retained of the chapters on meter & stanza. So I'm curious about whether CW Poetry for Beginners might be something good for her to do. I looked at the samples on Lulu but while they had a lot of background info, I couldn't find any samples of an actual assignment.

Please tell me all about your experience with CW Poetry for Beginners. Thanks!

We also love CW Poetry.

It is much easier to both figure out for the parent and to do for the child than Homer. In fact I alternate weeks. She does 8 weeks of Homer, while the stories are short. Then when she is about ready to pull her hair out, I alternate a homer week then a Poetry week. I honestly would have to do a Homer model over two weeks otherwise.

The child doesn't re-write whole poems till level B, I think. Most of the work is rewriting a stanza on from the model. They learn to match rhyme, meter and stresses. One at a time, so they don't become overwhelmed. I think at the end of A they write their own stanza. The rest of the work is analyzing the model.

Heather

Ah, that's encouraging, Heather ...... thanks!

We're on week one in Level A and I find it harder to navigate than Homer. There are no page references to the core manual in the instructors guide, like I'm used to in Homer. In spite of this, so far it's been a gentle introduction and once I get used to the format, I'm sure it will get easier! :001_smile:

As for retention, we already do poetry memorization, so it's going to be easy to apply what she's learning on a regular basis.

Ah, that's encouraging, Heather ...... thanks!

We're on week one in Level A and I find it harder to navigate than Homer. There are no page references to the core manual in the instructors guide, like I'm used to in Homer. In spite of this, so far it's been a gentle introduction and once I get used to the format, I'm sure it will get easier! :001_smile:

As for retention, we already do poetry memorization, so it's going to be easy to apply what she's learning on a regular basis.

I have a Excel file that lists the pages numbers referenced for each week. E-mail me and I can get it to you. If you don't have Excel I can convert it to a PDF as well.

Heather

I have a Excel file that lists the pages numbers referenced for each week. E-mail me and I can get it to you. If you don't have Excel I can convert it to a PDF as well.

You're a dear (and obviously very well organized! ;) )! I'm PMing you now!