Menu

how to "force" a cold out of your system

I've written before about pressure in my head, I've bought the Neil Med system, I've done all I can to help rid myself of this head pressure. Nothing has worked. I've also had contents gather in the back of my throat and I've been struggling with a sore throat, coming and going, for a long time. I've been fighting this about six weeks now and I just want to force it all out. I don't want oregano, I don't want all those herbs to keep it at bay, I want to do all I can at this point to force it all out.

I get the nose drips and sore throat off and on, my energy level has been VERY low off and on, and now I just want to encourage a HUGE cold to come out, no matter how sick I get.

Can anyone relate to this? And can anyone give advice? Natural remedies are only helping to suppress this and I feel I just need a full blown week of sickness to get it all out of my system. I'm tired of fighting it off!!!

Natural (and medical) remedies for a cold will not lengthen the duration of your cold. Your immune system will still fight the virus in your body. Unless, of course, your immune system is compromised somehow.

To help fight colds here, I take a HOT shower or bath. If a fever helps kill them, so will making your body temp higher.

Some meds do supress your immune system, I believe. NSAIDs, I think, not really sure.

When it comes to junk in throat or sinus area: I fill a bowl with boiling water (or microwaved water) and put baby vapor bath in it. Vicks works, too. Put a towel over your head and breath it in.

I hope you feel better soon...

I understand what you mean. You don't want to suppress the symptoms.

It might help to see the cold as a method your body uses to detoxify.

What you need is to open up all the channels of elimination so your body can get on with it and stop dragging it on. But it does take a certain strength of the immune system to get it happening. Cold and Flu medications only suppress the symptoms and stop the body following through its process.

Most natural remedies can help...but Vitamin C dries out mucous. So don't take that. Many natural remedies strengthen/assist the immune system- thats not a bad thing. Someone with a healthy immune system will get sick more acutely but get over it more quickly.

A good hot soup with lots of garlic and chilli, hot baths and ginger tea to make you sweat, drink heaps of fluids, stay away from dairy. Sleep- as much as your body is telling you to, even if it seems unreasonable.

Sometimes you have to stop, slow down, go to bed...to allow your body to get sick and go through it.

I've written before about pressure in my head, I've bought the Neil Med system, I've done all I can to help rid myself of this head pressure. Nothing has worked. I've also had contents gather in the back of my throat and I've been struggling with a sore throat, coming and going, for a long time. I've been fighting this about six weeks now and I just want to force it all out. I don't want oregano, I don't want all those herbs to keep it at bay, I want to do all I can at this point to force it all out.

I get the nose drips and sore throat off and on, my energy level has been VERY low off and on, and now I just want to encourage a HUGE cold to come out, no matter how sick I get.

Can anyone relate to this? And can anyone give advice? Natural remedies are only helping to suppress this and I feel I just need a full blown week of sickness to get it all out of my system. I'm tired of fighting it off!!!

Have you tried using a neti pot? I know someone who says it works wonders on her. Other friends swear by echinachea tea, or onion tea, and my dad's favorite is hot lemonjuice and honey.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Ugh. I've been looking for answers too. I have the same thing going on...for about a week now...and it's no fun. I'm not sick enough to stop going about my life, but I'm sick enough that I'm totally exhausted at the end of the day. I've got the head pressure, the clogged throat. I can still breathe through my nose, but I can't quite get rid of what seems to be dripping down from my sinuses. My tummy has gotten really sensitive since getting my gallbladder out in March, so after I couple of days of my standbys--Advil Cold&Sinus during the day, Alka Selzer Cold at night--I'm queasy and had to stop.

The dh had it last week as well. He was hit hard and missed work on Tuesday and came home early on Wednesday, but he's over it now. I'd much rather have had it that way than this slow misery.

Plus, Saturday morning I slipped on my icy back deck and landed HARD on my butt on the edge of a stair. So I've got that discomfort going for me too.

Maybe I'll make some hot&sour soup with dinner tonight.

I suffer from terrible sinus problems as well. Mine seems to be linked to barometric pressure (go figure!). I do use the neti-pot once or twice a day which seems to help. I also discovered visiting the chiropracter regularly helps me tremendously.

You could have a sinus infection, as they can last up to a month. Most MDs don't precribe anything for sinus infections, you just have to wait it out.

I have also heard that sinus problems are one of the symptoms of a yeast over-growth in your body. You could do a google search and see if you have any other symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon!

Denise,

I too have been dealing with awful sinus symptoms for nearly a year now. I went to the doctors a while back, they gave me an antibiotic prescription, and told me to come back if it didn't help and schedule a cat scan - which i didn't do- no insurance :(

I have had sinus pressure, pressure and an ache in my right eye, esp. at night in bed. Then, two weeks ago, the ear, jaw, and tooth pain started (again on the right side.) I was MISERABLE! I was taking over the counter pain meds (something I NEVER do!) and was starting to get stomach pain from that. I started using the Neil Med bottle (more water-pressure than the neti-pot), and that helped a little. But, let me tell you did finally work...

Garlic!

I took one raw clove of garlic, morning and night.

Cut up the garlic into several pieces, that are small enough to swallow. Be sure to have something in your stomach first, to prevent stomach upset.

I started to feel relief after only two days. Keep taking it until you have been feeling better for a few days.

:001_smile:

The best cure for a sinus issue in me is to cry. Usually a very sad movie does it. I think it just ramps up the cleansing process and decloggs everything from the inside out.

If my allergies get the best of me and I start to get overly congested (sinus headaches) I take a combination of 4 meds.

I take Claritin or Zyrtec-D 24h. The antihistamine helps to stop the congestion from forming, the decongestant loosens everything up.

I add plain Mucinex and water. This is an expectorant and helps to thin the mucous down to allow it to be expelled easier.

I also take an OTC anti inflammatory to help reduce the swelling of the tissues.