Menu

A Mini-Vent... about the lack of CHRIST in Christmas

*DISCLAIMER: I am not posting this to debate the meaning of Christmas. I am trying to see if others have seen this or had this problem. Thank you*

The other night at Target I saw the cutest Little People Nativity set. I thought about getting it, but it was $30. So I look around the Christmas section of the store for some others, maybe acrylic or something so the kids can't break it, but I can't find any. So I ask an employee... "Oh, we're not carrying those this year. We weren't supposed to get any, but then we got that shipment from Fisher-Price." :blink: Well thank God for that, right?? I put my Little People on hold, determined to find a nativity set. Now don't get me wrong, I *love* the LP set.. I've wanted it for years, it's just so cute!! But I wanted to see what else was out there and weigh my options. $30 to me was a lot to pay for a set or a toy right before Christmas. So, I come home and do a search, I can find some at Wal-Mart but they are WAY more ten $30!! But they are online, and I am *sure* I can find something cheaper in Wally World.

Years ago, when hubby and I first met and married, we had a $10 or $15 nativity set we purchased from WM. It was nice, but the people were glass, and of course the kids broke them. When FP started coming out with the LP one, I realllly wanted it, but it was more then I could afford to pay most times, and I never saw it in stores. It was always online at the FP store.

Moving on.... we go to Wally World last night, and head to their Christmas section. We go up and down the aisles, faithful we'll find one. Then we thought maybe we were just blind, so we asked an employee (again) where were the nativity sets are this year... She looked at us "Oh we're not carrying them." HUH?!?! :001_huh: Excuse me... but WHY NOT?? What the heck is going on with the world and when did we *stop* carrying symbols of the birth of Christ, when that is what we are supposed to be celebrating??? Now I realize that not everyone celebrates the way we do, and that's fine, but when I can find a menorah in stores, why not a nativity???

:banghead:

So, on principle alone, we go back to target and buy our FP Little People set... the kids love it :001_smile:

I haven't been in the market for a nativity set for a few years, but we have the little people one and LOVE it! It's very popular, so buy it while you can. If you want another 'adult' nativity, look at places like Hallmark after Christmas- they'll be 50% off. I bought a beautiful Foundations nativity that way!

Nativity sets probably aren't big sellers. Unless you collect them, why have more than one? And now that I think about it, I don't think lower end stores like WM and Target usually carry them anyway, do they? I bought mine at a department store 16 years ago.

Did you ask the folks at Target and Walmart *why* they aren't carrying them this year?

There could be a number of reasons the decision was made to put something else on that shelf space instead of a Nativity set.

We did, but they had no answer other then a shrug :confused:

I haven't been in the market for a nativity set for a few years' date=' but we have the little people one and LOVE it! It's very popular, so buy it while you can. If you want another 'adult' nativity, look at places like Hallmark after Christmas- they'll be 50% off. I bought a beautiful Foundations nativity that way![/quote']

I did. They had one other one the day that I came, and it was gone the next when I picked up mine :ohmy: I was shocked! Mine was pretty basic though.. it came with the manger, 3 Wise Men, Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, and angel, sheep, camel, horse, and cow. It also has 2 small backdrops to go on either side that can connect fence pieces to it. I would have LOVED the $65 one with the Inn, and shepherds, fences, etc... But $65 was WAY more then I could spend and *not* cringe... LOL I would loved to have had a the shepherds and some fence pieces though. Oh, and the manger that lights up :Angel_anim:

I'll look into the other though... thanks for the suggestion.

You might try Michaels or any Christian bookstore. The ones near our house carry several different sets for children.

I don't know WHY I didn't think of that... I feel like such an idiot now :blush:

Hobby Lobby always carries a large selection of Nativity sets. As they are a Christian owned company, I assume that they always will.

Realllly??? I didn't know that....

I don't think it's an anti-Christian conspiracy. I think it's all about the money. Stores have a limited amount of shelf space, and they want to make a certain amount of money per foot of that space. If something else outsells the Nativity sets, that's what they'll put there.

I have seen Nativity sets in Walmart and Target, though -- maybe your store was sold out and the employee was a moron? (I've asked about things at stores in the past, was told that they didn't carry the stuff, and then found it myself in the next aisle. :glare:)

I bought a beautiful Nativity several years ago at either BJ's or Costco (I can't remember which.) I also still have the one my dad and I made when I was a kid. If you have time, it's a fun craft project and something your dc will always remember. You don't have to get really fancy or anything, as long as it's durable and not so huge that you don't know where to store it during the rest of the year. My dad passed away a few years ago, but I still think of him when I get out that nativity every Christmas. (I'm actually sitting here with tears in my eyes. I am so pathetic.)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

We did, but they had no answer other then a shrug :confused:

Who are you asking? Floor employees won't have a clue. Those kinds of decisions are made at the corporate level not the local store level. My WM doesn't carry anything more than lights and a few ornaments and an aisle of candy. I also can't get birthday party decorations there. It isn't management's fault. It is corporate's.

Stores sell what makes money. Period. I am guessing that they only carry a few nativity sets every year because it's not something that people buy lots of. You get one or two in your life, unless you collect, right?

I looked online and walmart . com does indeed carry 9 or 10 nativity sets. They are all expensive and they are all marked 'not sold in stores'. But, they do carry online with free shipping and that way they don't have to sacrifice shelf inches to something that doesn't move.

Target has LOTS of nativity setsonline. including one for children for less than 20$. The others are all very expensive.

So, it isn't about not selling nativity sets, it is about making money. Making money is their reason for being.

I agree that it is financially driven. If they sell out of penguin lawn ornaments and have to mark nativity sets down to 75% off after Christmas, they will get more of the better seller and fewer of the item that doesn't sell as well.

I just bought a cute nativity set at Ross, you might check those types of places.

I just wanted to let you know that your Little People nativity set will probably be enjoyed for years and years to come, making the $30 a great investment. My 9yo, who outgrew FP little people years ago, was delighted when we pulled out the FP nativity set this year. She plays with it every year. :001_smile:

Seems weird that there is a lack of nativity sets at this time of year :confused:

I guess you'd find them in more upmarket/gift type stores, but yes it would be nice to have some choices that are inexpensive and robust enough for kids. You maybe don't have time at this stage, but could making your own be a project for next year?

Perhaps we should see it from a different perspective. Maybe the reason stores are not carrying them is because people are doing what we've wanted them to do for years. Maybe they are actually moving away from a commercialized Christmas, not spending junk dollars at the stores, and enjoying a memorable Christmas without all the kitschy stuff.

Yeah, probably not, but my point is our emotions about things tend to be based on how we are choosing to see them.

Maybe it is simply that nativity sets are not a favored last-minute impulse-buy item. Most people who buy one are looking for a well-made set and will do their hunting online. At least that describes me. By the way, when we bought the Little People nativity set several years ago they were not carried in the big box stores at all. We had to buy it from the company.

Dh and I were just discussing this. He went to Home Depot to try to find a nativity set for the front lawn so we can be a light in our neighborhood to remember why we celebrate Christmas, and not only did they not have one, but he couldn't find ANYthing Christian to put in the front yard or on the front of the house-not even a light-up angel or something!

But but but....wouldn't a blow- up Mary, Joseph, & Jesus seem tacky? I mean...even the Santas and snowglobes are. I don't think Jesus would think more plastic is the answer.

Dh and I were just discussing this. He went to Home Depot to try to find a nativity set for the front lawn so we can be a light in our neighborhood to remember why we celebrate Christmas, and not only did they not have one, but he couldn't find ANYthing Christian to put in the front yard or on the front of the house-not even a light-up angel or something!

We have about 10 nativity sets big and small, kid friendly and expensive breakable, so I am never in the market for any. But I did notice that about half an aisle at Hobby Lobby had nativity sets. Now most were not for kids.

My Mom always is looking for Xmas pin that is a nativity scene rather than a tree or reindeer. You can find them now and then.

I bought two gift bags this year, because they had really nice nativity scenes on them.

I bought stickers last year that was the nativity scene, for my DD to play with.

I've seen those gell window decorations with nativity scenes. Most are snowflakes or christmas trees, but you can find nativity scenes.

I've bought several Christmas ornaments over the last several years that are nativity scenes.

Our outdoor decoration is a big all white nativity which looks really good when there is snow on the ground.

Hmmm seems like plenty of nativity around me.

I never even noticed nativity sets in years past because its not my thing. But now I see them all over the place.

We picked up one at swap meet yesterday for a Franciscan monk friend of ours who asked us to look out for one for him. The lady who was selling it ended up giving it to us when she heard who it was for. The figurines are beautiful porcelein and the manger was wood. It is beautiful.

For any type/size of Nativity, you need to look at Bronner's Christmas Store, located in Frankenmuth, Michigan. They carry everything from Nativity nightlights to the full-size, light-up for your lawn folks. Here is their online page for Nativities:

http://www.bronners.com/categories/nativity-scenes

I LOVE this store! When we lived in Michigan, we would travel up there every year on Black Friday just to shop for Christmas ornaments: one special package each year. They are beautiful and unique.

Oh, and the customer service at Bronner's is top-notch. I ordered all of my kids "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments from them, and they were all different (exactly what I wanted for each kid) and perfect!

A friend of mine made the figurines for my Nativity (ceramics, hand-painted then fired) but I needed a stable and found a large selection to choose from at Bronner's. It's a great store!

ETA: Did you see that Bronner's even has a set of Nativity cookie cutters? Wouldn't that be a fun project for the kids to do? You could make cookie ornaments and then paint them!

Edited by Katia

Perhaps we should see it from a different perspective. Maybe the reason stores are not carrying them is because people are doing what we've wanted them to do for years. Maybe they are actually moving away from a commercialized Christmas, not spending junk dollars at the stores, and enjoying a memorable Christmas without all the kitschy stuff.

Yeah, probably not, but my point is our emotions about things tend to be based on how we are choosing to see them.

Maybe it is simply that nativity sets are not a favored last-minute impulse-buy item. Most people who buy one are looking for a well-made set and will do their hunting online. At least that describes me. By the way, when we bought the Little People nativity set several years ago they were not carried in the big box stores at all. We had to buy it from the company.

I *might* be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't a fat guy in a red suit everywhere I looked. Commercialized Christmas has nothing to do with a nativity set that is a symbol and remembrance of Christs birth. It has to do with the pressure and constant ads to buy this or that for your kids, to appease them and be the "good parent" because no wants little Johnny to think Santa doesn't exist or he was bad. Commercialization has everything to do with the man in the red suit, and corporations wanting to capitalize on that and line their pockets. Commercialization has *nothing* to do with the baby in the manger.

For any type/size of Nativity, you need to look at Bronner's Christmas Store, located in Frankenmuth, Michigan. They carry everything from Nativity nightlights to the full-size, light-up for your lawn folks. Here is their online page for Nativities:

http://www.bronners.com/categories/nativity-scenes

I LOVE this store! When we lived in Michigan, we would travel up there every year on Black Friday just to shop for Christmas ornaments: one special package each year. They are beautiful and unique.

Oh, and the customer service at Bronner's is top-notch. I ordered all of my kids "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments from them, and they were all different (exactly what I wanted for each kid) and perfect!

A friend of mine made the figurines for my Nativity (ceramics, hand-painted then fired) but I needed a stable and found a large selection to choose from at Bronner's. It's a great store!

ETA: Did you see that Bronner's even has a set of Nativity cookie cutters? Wouldn't that be a fun project for the kids to do? You could make cookie ornaments and then paint them!

That sounds AWESOME!! I love the idea of the cookies... going to look now :)

Thank you!!

I have a neighbor that has a huge (very bright) cross hanging off his chimney. I could ask him where he got it for you.

And why not build one yourself? That would seem much more in keeping with the spirit of the season, than to buy one built in China.

I *might* be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't a fat guy in a red suit everywhere I looked.

Now come on, watch the fat comments! Some of those guys are 'caloricly intake challenged'! And some of them, well, they just can't lose weight, it's part of their trade mark. Think of all the grief Jennifer Grey got after her nose surgery!

Granted, it's type casting, but who really wants to sit on the lap of a skinny Santa? And I think some of them may even pad!

As for the Nativity issue - lots of places don't carry many of the things they used to. People can get them online and easier and cheaper and have more choices. Stores know this. Why keep something if fewer and fewer people are buying it. Use that shelf space for something that does sell.

And each store is going to purchase what moves at their store. That is determined by who their clients are. Culture, ethnic make up, economic make, religion and other factors all help determine what each store carries. Every time you get a 'club card' from the grocery store or other store, you've filled out a form telling them ususally your age, race,family make up, economic level. It's all compiled. They end up knowing Families of this race with kids making this much money tend to buy this, but not that. Plus any survey you answer "Do you buy things online? Which kind of things??

As demographics in an change, they know what to offer and not offer. Info like this from all their stores, added to previous sales for that one store is what determines what they are going to offer.

It's not like some CEO at the head of Wal-mart said "This year we're not selling any of that christian stuff at Store #XYZ!" It's the product manager of that one store saying "Sales of these items have gone done continuously. And based on our lasted research, the majority of this area won't be looing for these items either. No point of wasting the shelf space on those this year." It's probably not the store not wanting to sell things, but more likely it's your local area not wanting to buy enough of them or having said that that's not the kind of thing they purchase in person, only online.

My grandparents and people like them are a good example of having a hard time finding things they used to find easily. Either people don't use whatever it is anymore (they either send it out to be fixed, or just throw it away and get new- both somewhat foreign concepts to those growing up in the depression) or they find it online. My grandmother can barely send an email after trying to teach her for 10 years. And even if god himself came down and told her it was okay to put her credit card number into the computer, she's still be hesitant! Their demographic is being pushed out of the IRL market on things. Things they can easily find at Walmart in middle of old people Florida are not so easy to find in Walmarts that cater to young families. But they are a shrinking part of the market! Both due to death and the fact the others their age are willing to embrace the online shopping experience.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I *might* be inclined to agree with you if there wasn't a fat guy in a red suit everywhere I looked. Commercialized Christmas has nothing to do with a nativity set that is a symbol and remembrance of Christs birth. It has to do with the pressure and constant ads to buy this or that for your kids, to appease them and be the "good parent" because no wants little Johnny to think Santa doesn't exist or he was bad. Commercialization has everything to do with the man in the red suit, and corporations wanting to capitalize on that and line their pockets. Commercialization has *nothing* to do with the baby in the manger.

Some of us really like the fat guy in the red suit and all of the commercialization. :D I know we do at our house.

I don't see why there can't be room for both.

I don't expect my local stores to turn into religious shrines every time there is a religious holiday. (And yes, we have two Nativity sets at our house, and my son knows the true meaning of Christmas -- but Santa and shopping and silly Christmas songs and The Grinch and Frosty and Rudolph have always been huge here, too.)

I don't think it has to be an either/or holiday.

Cat

But but but....wouldn't a blow- up Mary, Joseph, & Jesus seem tacky? I mean...even the Santas and snowglobes are. I don't think Jesus would think more plastic is the answer.

You don't think he'd enjoy the snowy themed recollection of his birthday? ;)

Trader Joe's only carries baking powder in "the holiday season." I know because I asked at some other time of year. The lady who worked there looked baffled that someone would want/need baking powder in the summer.

You can try Catholic Supply, where they're conveniently classed by price. Or call a local Catholic parish and ask which churches in your area have gift shops. Episcopalian churches often have nice gift shops too. We got a very nice and unbreakable set at Goodwill right before Christmas last year; I think people get their Christmas stuff out in November/December and discard the things they won't be using (like extra nativity sets).

This is what I think, too. I have been baffled by the lack of merchandise in our local 'super walmart' over the past year. I think they are just carrying a less diverse inventory and only stocking what sells.

Margaret

Think about what we buy on line.

We don't have to use regular grocery store spices, we can order them online.

Same with chocolate, small appliances, books, funiture, school supplies, medicine, hobby items, basically just about everything.

The orginal appeal of places like Walmart and super target was that you could get/do everything in only one trip.

You could get your oil changed and brakes fixed, get the kids clothes, do school supplies, fabic for something you're sewing, pick up some 12 guage shells for your hunter, pick up your prescriptions, do some banking, take one kid for his eye exam, order new glasses for the other, put them in the new clothes you just bought and get their picture taken, pick out the seeds for the garden, new flowers for the front, buy a new lawnmower, get the parts to fix the leaky toilet, pick out new paint, find some new sheets and comforters and curtains to go with the new paint, get all your groceries, take the kids, who have been so good during all this, including your run down the toy aisle to pick out a birthday present and your run through the book area, because you just can't help it, to the McDonald's for lunch then go pick up your car load everything in it, stop by out front for gas and then head home. Look at all you did, and you only had to make one stop!

That was what so great in the begining. All those seperate places you used to have to run to. Trips that took longer getting kids into and out of the car than the actual errand itself.

But that is also what drover out all the little shops you used to run to. The paint store, the fabric store, the small hardware where they'll tell you it's not really a leak, but just need a new flapper based the on the noise you describe. We started to lose all that. And then people weren't happy.

So then internet shopping comes along. Why should I go out and deal with all those people. The sales people don't know what's wrong with my toilet. I can find out on line what's wrong, and how to fix it, and oh look, I can just order the parts from here! Oh look sheets are on sale, I'll order them now!

So first the big box places ran out the little places. Then we started looking for what we wanted online to avoid the big box. Now the big box doesn't have as much as they orginally did, because it's just not selling like it once was. So in that shelf space they'll fill it with something we'd probably not buy at home. Less impulse buying at home. No tired, bored kids, begging for you to either hurry up or get them something at home.

I guess we're calling it "progress". I don't know.

I don't like big box stores (especially Walmart - for many reasons). But I don't buy a lot of stuff. I also only have one kid. Who is now old enough that going with him anywhere is no big deal. And after living overseas, I got real used to (aka spoiled) with shopping on line. But I've always been odd/blown the curve when it comes to shopping type surveys I'm sure!

Gah, if there's one thing in particular I hate about the holidays, it's those plastic monstrosities. Makes me want to go all drive-by shooter. :tongue_smilie:

This has nothing to do with Christ, but I had a terrible time finding anything to put on the top of a tree. I went to five different stores. I finally found something at Pier I. I think the big stores only sell things they can sell a lot of and I guess tree toppers aren't popular enough. I am guessing nativities aren't popular enough either. Maybe because most families only buy them one or twice, ever. Being able to order things online has probably cut into how many of this type of item they can sell. They would rather fill their shelf space with stuff they can move.

FWIW I bought the Tales of Glory nativity set from Rainbow Resource. It's plastic, around $20, and really cute. We are a non-religious family, but it is a religious holiday that we are surrounded by, and I want our kids to know the story and history of Christmas.

Ten Thousand Villages sells a large number of these in different styles and materials

This is the best way to buy a nativity set. We bought nativity ornaments from a similar mission/fair trade organization last year for gifts. That way you are helping someone feed their family, as well as getting a beautiful, truly unique nativity. :001_smile:

There was just so much, I didn't want people to get confused with what I was replying too. You'll see my answers below in red.

Now come on, watch the fat comments! Some of those guys are 'caloricly intake challenged'! And some of them, well, they just can't lose weight, it's part of their trade mark. Think of all the grief Jennifer Grey got after her nose surgery!

Now I am giggling as I read your comment, but just so we area ll on the same page. I have Metabolic Syndrome, so I *am* caloricly challenged ;) LOL But I'll agree with you a skinny Santa is *weird* :lol:

Granted, it's type casting, but who really wants to sit on the lap of a skinny Santa? And I think some of them may even pad!

As for the Nativity issue - lots of places don't carry many of the things they used to. People can get them online and easier and cheaper and have more choices. Stores know this. Why keep something if fewer and fewer people are buying it. Use that shelf space for something that does sell.

Yes, it just seems if it's online they are much more $$. That and the fact they can be heavy, then I have to calculate shipping into it too. Not far when just a year or so ago, I could go buy one for under $20 at Wally World....

And each store is going to purchase what moves at their store. That is determined by who their clients are. Culture, ethnic make up, economic make, religion and other factors all help determine what each store carries. Every time you get a 'club card' from the grocery store or other store, you've filled out a form telling them ususally your age, race,family make up, economic level. It's all compiled. They end up knowing Families of this race with kids making this much money tend to buy this, but not that. Plus any survey you answer "Do you buy things online? Which kind of things??

As demographics in an change, they know what to offer and not offer. Info like this from all their stores, added to previous sales for that one store is what determines what they are going to offer.

It's not like some CEO at the head of Wal-mart said "This year we're not selling any of that christian stuff at Store #XYZ!" It's the product manager of that one store saying "Sales of these items have gone done continuously. And based on our lasted research, the majority of this area won't be looing for these items either. No point of wasting the shelf space on those this year." It's probably not the store not wanting to sell things, but more likely it's your local area not wanting to buy enough of them or having said that that's not the kind of thing they purchase in person, only online.

That is true...

My grandparents and people like them are a good example of having a hard time finding things they used to find easily. Either people don't use whatever it is anymore (they either send it out to be fixed, or just throw it away and get new- both somewhat foreign concepts to those growing up in the depression) or they find it online. My grandmother can barely send an email after trying to teach her for 10 years. And even if god himself came down and told her it was okay to put her credit card number into the computer, she's still be hesitant! Their demographic is being pushed out of the IRL market on things. Things they can easily find at Walmart in middle of old people Florida are not so easy to find in Walmarts that cater to young families. But they are a shrinking part of the market! Both due to death and the fact the others their age are willing to embrace the online shopping experience.

Some of us really like the fat guy in the red suit and all of the commercialization. :D I know we do at our house.

I don't see why there can't be room for both.

I don't expect my local stores to turn into religious shrines every time there is a religious holiday. (And yes, we have two Nativity sets at our house, and my son knows the true meaning of Christmas -- but Santa and shopping and silly Christmas songs and The Grinch and Frosty and Rudolph have always been huge here, too.)

I don't think it has to be an either/or holiday.

Cat

Actually we do both too. I have no beef with the fat guy... just when he seems to be everywhere and it makes it harder to do *both* or teach my children why we even have Christmas to begin with, it irks me.

But we have a tree filled with my favorites- snowmen, penguin and polar bars.

A nativity in front of the TV.

Stockings for Santa to fill.

But only 3 presents to represent the Wise Men.

We read The Night Before Christmas, on Christmas Eve.

This year though I wanted to start teaching the younger ones about the story of Christs birth. I was hoping to find a pretty, but touchable nativity to bring this story "home" with. I never imagined it would be so difficult to find one though, and that's what this rant is all about. You can see from above though, that we don't have a problem with doing both. We've been doing it for years. However, this year I was *really* tempted to just sit down and tell them the truth. I can feel the time is getting close, as I get more uncomfortable with the lore of Santa, but I want to give my youngest some more time with the magic he creates.