Menu

Using Kahn Academy...

LizzyBee

I received the following message from a friend. I've used Kahn Academy here and there for a particular topic, but I've never tried to put together a sequence for a course. If you have, would you share your thoughts? Thanks!

Elizabeth, Once again I feel the need to pick your brain about homeschool curriculum. You told me about Kahn Academy which is amazing but overwhelming. I have watched several of the videos and came away with complete understanding of each topic. P&K are both very frustrated with the math curriculum we are using and I am eager to switch it up but do not wish to spend $$. I am trying to prepare them for Algebra I at FA (a public charter school) for next year.(We can talk about that later) I think it would be possible to use Khan Academy as a complete curriculum but I have racked my brain as to how to organize it all. Any thoughts?

I have used Khan Academy for myself to review basic math for an exam and found it a fantastic resource, and I just used it sequencially as it was presented on the home page, just going onto the next thing.

I think it would be at least very useful to have a more detailed break up of some of the video content. For example, my 14 yo dd is right now struggling with a particular tangent ratio word problem and it would be nice to know which video in particular deals with Tangent ratios. Short of sitting and watching several videos in the Geometry section, I can't think of any other way of finding this particular subject.

Do any of you by any chance know?

This is what is known as A Sign :D. I am waffling on whether to hs dd9 starting next month, and a few days ago I decided on Singapore, though I haven't ordered the books yet.

What a wonderful resource. I wonder how long it will take him to get through the next couple of books.

Right now I have my older son following the Pre-Algebra program that he has there.

I follow it in order and so far it has been helpful. My son goes to a topic that he has learned about and then he watches the video which is clearly marked. Then he looks over the topic and he understands it better.

I mean the website is in alphabetical order. So, you go to the math topic i.e. geometry, algebra, etc. You follow under the headings what the topic matter is about and then go to the sub-topics. I usually click on what we are learning about for that day.

This is my experience with Khan Academy.

I have truly enjoyed this program. It is a fantastic supplement to our math.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony