How often do you clean your oven?  

1. 1. How often do you clean your oven?

• Every Month
    • Every Three Months
    • Every Six Months
    • Maybe once or twice a year
    • Huh?
    • Other

My mil cleans hers every month. Hers looks brand new.

I am currently cleaning mine for the first time in 5 years. Mine didn't look bad, but it sure looked like I used it a lot more than hers did. I picked off the chunks of stuff before I cleaned it, but I have already set off the smoke alarms, and my windows are open (it is 25 degrees F here).

So, whether you have a self cleaning oven or you have to manually do it with something like Easy Off, how often do you clean your oven? And I don't mean wiping it out when you know something dripped and it'll smoke the next time you use it.

Edited by LauraGB

other - I clean it when we PCS out and are getting inspected by either base or the rental company.

I do scrap the drippings, which are usually either sweet potato or squash, with one of those pampered chef stoneware scrappers.

Of course it did take a little explanation when the husband walked in and I was vacuming the oven out! He didn't realized that was how I got the scrapped bits and other burnt dropped bits out!

other - I clean it when we PCS out and are getting inspected by either base or the rental company.

I do scrap the drippings, which are usually either sweet potato or squash, with one of those pampered chef stoneware scrappers.

Of course it did take a little explanation when the husband walked in and I was vacuming the oven out! He didn't realized that was how I got the scrapped bits and other burnt dropped bits out!

Yup, this is me, only when I spill or move.:tongue_smilie:

(Of course, we are military so we move more often..., I still answered Huh?)

:lol:

I answered "once or twice a year." And I usually neglect to clean out the ash when it's done.

So, when I'm done cleaning it, I'll have a pile of ashes on the bottom?

And I just need to vacuum those out?

I won't have to scrub any grease from the window or anything?

Mine has a self cleaning feature. I have no idea how to use it. Just push the button? Will we explode? It's been 5 years now......

I just clicked the button to "clean". I've got my fingers crossed and the windows open. My kids are coughing and the air is weird, the smoke alarms have sounded, but there is no visible smoke.

I'm not sure I get this whole thing, really.

Mine has a self cleaning feature. I have no idea how to use it. Just push the button? Will we explode? It's been 5 years now......

Yes (push the button). No (you will not explode).

You're "supposed" to take out the oven racks before you set it to clean, but I don't. They'll stay shinier and slide more easily if you take them out and clean them by hand.

Lock the oven door, push the self clean button, push start, and it should start. Once the temperature gets over a certain degree, you will not be able to open the door until it cools down enough. It takes a few hours from start to finish, including cool-down. I don't remember how long. You can cancel it at any time, but won't be able to open the door until it's cool enough (at least normal baking temps, probably under 500).

LOL I'm just glad I wasn't the only "huh?"

Apparently, we're the majority. I can count on one hand the number of times mine has been cleaned in the 16 years (today!) since we moved in.

I do, however, clean under it. Frequently. We have a Siberian Husky. Appliances can only take so much. :tongue_smilie:

I just cleaned my oven two days ago. It's not self cleaning. I sprinkled baking soda on it, spritzed it with water, and let it sit overnight. The next morning I spritzed it again and wiped it out. No foul smell or harsh chemicals. I still need to do the sides of the oven. I just did part of it after getting these "green" oven cleaning instructions off the internet. I wanted to see how well it would work. Now I'm trying to decide how often I should clean it. I use the oven a lot.

I just cleaned my almost 40 year old harvest gold in the wall tiny oven. I sprayed with generic brand easy off, and used a dust pan to scoop the ooze into a bucket and then a face clothe to wipe the walls, floor and door down. It was a lot easier than I remember.

I did it because my stainless steel new stove top was black and nasty, and the easy off works for it.

I don't usually, but think I will do the stove top once a month again.

The stove looks so nice inside, I think I have more room now!!

I have a self-cleaning oven and it really is like a miracle. After you run the cycle, your can honestly, vacuum it out and the wipe with a wet rag and it looks like new. I also put foil in the bottom of my oven to catch any drip so I don't make a lot of mess in the first place but it is great.

I've been in this house for 6 years and cleaned the oven twice. It's self-cleaning, but the lever thingie doesn't work right and I don't know if I can use it again. Darn.:lol:

When I was a kid, mom had an old oven that would start cleaning if you locked the oven door (it wasn't supposed to until you turned the dial to clean). We had a older lady who would babysit us and thought she should lock the oven door to keep us safe. Except it would start cleaning.

I put other, because I do not use the oven on a regular bases. I Clean the entire stove every Friday. If the oven has been used since the last cleaning, it gets cleaned. Of coarse any major splatters will be wiped off during post meal clean up. With five guys in the home, having a routine keeps my house clean and me sane.:D

Danielle

Editing: To mention that I don't even know if it s self cleaning or not. just do it by hand. The one I have at the moment is new, and I am still getting used to the fact that it s Celsius. And the top oven has no degrees, just the numbers 1-9. I've been meaning to learn more about that. Our last range was brought dow from the US. I didn't even think about it when we went out and got this one.:o

Edited by USDGAL

I voted, "Other".

As in, "Oh dear! My mother's coming to visit - better clean the oven, so she doesn't think that I don't clean my oven!"

:D

My mom always tells me that she cleaned the house well pretty much only when her mother was coming to visit. So she tells me not to worry about it LOL!