Menu

Middle Grade & Logic Stage introductions

Name: Dawne

age of dc: 15, 14, 12, 9, and 6

how long homeschooling?: 6th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: I have taught ages 4-12 before, but am new to the 14 and 15 :001_smile:

Do you follow a particular style of education? Mainly Traditional but with some Classical methods mixed in

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Laura

age of dc: five dds 10, 8, 6, 4, and 2

how long homeschooling?: 6th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. Dd10 is the oldest.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic): Mostly WTM.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom? "Just keep swimming." :)

Name: Kim

Age of dc: Dss 11 & 12.

How long homeschooling?: We just entered our 7th year.

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope this is my first time around.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): We loosely follow CM with a bit of classical. We are returning to MFW in January, but are eclectic otherwise.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes!!

Favorite quote: I dunno....I'm still sipping coffee...:tongue_smilie:

Name: Julie

age of dc: 11,9,7,3

how long homeschooling?: 7th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: no

Do you follow a particular style of education? I'm a laid-back over achiever :001_smile: I most closely follow Sonlight and TWTM, but mostly forge my own path.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Name: Brenda

age of dc: ds-13-8th, ds-11-6th, ds-almost 8-2nd

how long homeschooling?: The whole time!

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Fairly eclectic, but have leaned more classical. Have been looking into CM curriculum's lately.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Surprisingly, I think so. My oldest is very easy to school - thank you, God - now! He wasn't always and he is very independent. I have just found MFW hs, so I am leaning heavily that way.

And, I couldn't live without my iced tea every morning or this board for support and encouragement even though I don't post much, I have learned sooo much here!!

• 2 months later...

I missed this thread the first time around :001_smile:

Name: Karen

Ages of dc: my only homeschooling kid is 11yo dd (Daisy), the other two are in private high schools (senior, sophomore)

How long homeschooling: this is our first year :D

Have you taught these ages/grades before? Nope, but I afterschooled the older two in math and (informally) in science. I used to teach undergrad chem, back in a former life, but that doesn't help much with middle school ;)

Do you follow a particular style of education? Very much eclectic here!

Do you plan to homeschool high school? The plan is to send her to the high school her sister attends. They can adjust an entering freshman's schedule for math, science, and foreign language so that she could start on whatever level she needs :001_smile:

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? I can't think of anything profound----right now it would be "How much wine is left?" :tongue_smilie:

I thought we'd do an introduction thread for this forum. I'd love to get know more about those of us here.

Share as much as you'd like, as much as your comfortable with:

Name: I'm Whitestavern

age of dc: 10 yo dd, 8 yo ds

how long homeschooling?: this is our sixth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: this is our first year at the logic stage; I'm finding it somewhat difficult, especially with the 8yo at a different "level"

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM with some CM; I guess we're Electic)

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: No

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Lots of deep breathing and venting to dh on the tough days :)

Name: Homeschooltone

age of dc: 11,4

how long homeschooling?: 7th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. Ds11 is the oldest.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic): We make goals and find the curriculums to make our needs.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Not sure

Any favorite quotes or wisdom? "Just keep swimming." __________________

I'm new to the forum, don't post much but I read LOTS (probably why I run out of time to post :)!)

Name: Kelly

age of dc: 4 dc: ds 11, dd 9, dd 5, dd 3

how long homeschooling?: 2011/12 will be our 7th year, we started with oldest ds in K waaaaay back in 2004

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. I'm hoping to learn something here!

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I'm finding we lean more WTM as the years go by, I like the discipline but mess with the content a bit. We're in the midst of getting it sorted out.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes although it might take the form of more online courses or some outside classes. I just want it to be primarily home-based ie. not all day in hs.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: "Compare yourself to excellence!"

Hi,

I'm Faith, siggie is Faithmanor.

We have one daughter, a homeschool graduate - full time paramedic student and part-time pre-med - and three boys ages 14, 12.5, and almost 11.

We homeschooled dd grades 1-4 and 7-12, ds #1 1st-present, and the others have never attended school.

We are WTM neo-classical homeschoolers but with a huge emphasis in science. Dd graduated with six sciences and that is likely to hold true with two of the three boys. Five for the eldest boy who is much more history oriented and will likely graduate with six history credits.

Barring something like a health issue, we will homeschool the boys all the way through. Since ds #1 is an 8th grader, I am actively planning high school right now.

My favorite guote is in the siggie of one of our Aussie homeschooling moms, Rosie..."It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti - This is one of my standard responses to the "socialization" question.

Faith

Good Idea!

Name: Karen

age of dc: see below - only 1 ds in the logic stage

how long homeschooling?: somewhere around 13 yrs.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes, this is my thirdtime around and I hope to be more intentional in my teaching the middle grades this time:glare:

Do you follow a particular style of education? I agree with adapted classical. I couldn't do it without these boards, that's for sure!

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, I have, am in the process and will in the future.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Ã may come back to this one:001_huh:

Name: Kathy

age of dc: 13

how long homeschooling?: counting K, this is our 8th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: yes. My niece came out of school in 7th grade, and I did the majority of her homeschooling.

Do you follow a particular style of education? eclectic, relaxed, Charlotte Mason leanings but adapted to fit our lifestyle

Name: Laura

age of dc: two ds age 9 and 6

how long homeschooling?: this is our fourth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No this is my first

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): pretty much WTM

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: not sure, hopefully

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle