Menu

Middle Grade & Logic Stage introductions

Name: I'm Kel

age of dc:Everett age 11, Annika Clare age 9 and Lucas age 5

how long homeschooling?: This is our fifth year

have you taught these ages/grades before? Nope, Ev is the guinea pig. Hopefully I won't screw him up too bad and will know what I'm doing by the time the other two get to this point

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Does Flying by the seat of my pants count? I just tend to find what works and am reevaluating every few months.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, as long as the kids still want me as their teacher. Who knows by that time dh might join me in teaching since he'll be retiring just before Ev's junior year and Annika Clare's freshman year.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Not wisdom, but it's a favorite I have that always makes me laugh. DH bought me a sign with this on it about 5 years ago.

"If Aliens Are Smart Enough To Travel Through Space, Why Do They Keep Abducting the Dumbest People On Earth?"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Shelly

age of dc: all girls; 11, 9 and 7

how long homeschooling?: This is our fifth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. This is our first time through.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Well, I would love to say classical, but we stray quite a bit. So eclectic, maybe? We are academic and pretty rigorous.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: I don't know yet. We will do it as long as it is working.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Pray a lot. This too shall pass. Actually, I try to live by my signature "Curriculum is my tool and not my master."

Edited by Asenik

Name: Kelli

age of dc: 3 boys, 13, 11, and 10

how long homeschooling?: all along which puts me at around seven years (eight if you count K)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No. I started logic stage with my oldest at the beginning of this school year. He's a late bloomer and really wasn't ready for logic stage until then. DS11 will be doing full blown logic stage after the first of the year so then I'll have two at this level.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I would say we're eclectic but we're incorporating more classical all the time.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, I hope to.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: This year I'm trying to focus on enjoying the journey. It'll be over before I know it!

I was just thinking yesterday that it would be great to have an introduction thread.

Name: Megan

Kids: 14yo ds in ps, 12yo ds, 8yo dd, 6yo ds

How long homeschooling: This is my 11th year. I can't believe it's been so long.

Have you taught these ages before? I dealt with my oldest at this age, but it was a whole different kettle of fish for him. We were already having trouble with him (attitudes, etc) so we were just trying to find something that could get us through with him. This is the first time that I'm teaching this age with a classical bent.

Style of education: classical, literature rich, eclectic

Do you plan to homeschool through high school? Yes. Absolutely. Especially considering the experience that I'm having with my oldest in ps.

Favorite quotes or wisdom: I wish I had some wisdom to share. I'm just doing the best I can with what I've got.

Name: Jennifer (I call myself Jyniffrec because there are so many Jennifer's in the world I tried to distinguish myself in public high school :D)

Age of dc: dd11, ds 9, dd6, dd3

How long homeschooling? 7 years

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: No

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I'm using Sonlight as the foundation for a classical style.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, with some college courses mixed in.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Take it one day at a time.

Hi, my name is Catherine, and I have 3 boys - 13 (7th), 10 (5th), and 7 (2nd).

This is our 3rd year homeschooling

This is our first jaunt into the Logic Stage, and my 13yr. old is just making my life so much fun ;)

We are pretty eclectic, with a bent toward WTM Method.

And Oh, how I would love to home school all my boys through high school, but right now, according to my 13 year old, I won't be:sad:

And a quote that often comes across my mind, is "The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts."

We also whine a lot. I consider my self a facilitator of information not a teacher.

I have no clever quote, coffee gets me through the day.

Ahh, an honest woman! :)

I have a toddler and 11 yo, as you see. I've had health problems over the years, which explains the gap. I think the thing I struggle with most is just understand how dd11 thinks, what she needs, as she is very different from me. She got dh's dyslexia (no formal diagnosis, just my own conclusion), my low muscle tone (with the accompanying OT problems), and is sort of her own mix of strengths and weaknesses. She's a shockingly good sculptor and quite artsy. She's into history, understands people, that type thing, where I'm a math and language person. Not a good mix. So after 6 years of thinking education was this thing I made her, I'm finally working hard to figure out whole in the world she is and how I can nurture it. How a history hater turned out a history lover is beyond me. Just goes to show it WASN'T the education but was inborn, lol.

I've been enjoying this new board tremendously, as I finally feel I have a place we belong. We were outcasts on the hs board and bored with the elementary. So this is turning out to be a really good fit!

Oh, style. Well mercy, maybe hypocritical would be the right word? LOL I so WANT to do certain things (latin, lots of languages, this and that), but no matter how out of the box I get it it's never enough for dd. She's sort of an energy leech in that sense. She wants more creativity and out of the norm teaching styles and experiences than I have the consistency of energy to implement. So you'll see me vaccilating between something highly structured and something totally mom-driven and open. One day I'll find a balance, probably when I'm done. :)

I guess you could say my homeschooling dd11 defines me, since it has gone on for so long. I have some side hobbies, and occasionally I delve in them. The rest of the time I research, read online, and basically try to keep up with what they need. Ds2 is moderately verbally apraxic, meaning he is unlikely to ever learn to talk (clearly or at all) without therapy. So in addition to teaching dd, I have to sit down every day with ds and work on our therapy skills, watch sign language videos, etc. Because we are so concerned about keeping him speaking as much as possible, we try to avoid putting him in front of the tv as babysitter. This makes it a bit more tricky to get in all my time with dd. I can steal an hour, but I'm finding it hard to get the three hours with her I really need. I'm currently thinking through things, trying to reformulate our days to make them work better, ugh. You know, I think I hadn't even acknowledged that to myself, but it's sort of a guilt that I CAN'T work with him and dd at the same time. I can for an hour, but not three, kwim? And I hate to just let him play alone, as it's not helping him make progress forward.

So y'all don't care about that. Other people have worse problems. I just have two beautiful kids with some quirks. We have fun, and they love each other. Can't beat that. :)

(Well mercy, I just read the rest of the thread and realized I answered the long way! Oh well. Guess now you know I'm not concise either. But yes, 2 kids, electic/classical from the beginning, in our 7th year of homeschooling, and I assume home for high school unless things fall apart or change or don't come together properly.)

Edited by OhElizabeth

Name: WildIris (I've got a "real" name, but I'm shy.)

Age of dc: DD~13 & DD~7 (I've two older boys 20 & almost 18)

How long homeschooling? Too long! 15 years!

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes. I taught Son #1 from K through 8th grade. He decided he wanted to go to high school (Big mistake). Son #2 was taught K through 7th grade when he too wanted to go to the local elementary school (Big mistake). Son #2 told me school was easier than being at home.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): No. I'm an iconoclast. I don't follow rules. I do what works for each kid, and believe me, each kid needs something different to get them going and keeping them motivated. I wish they were little robots sometimes. It would make my job so much easier--Cookie cutter in, cookie cutter out.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Well, that is up for discussion. DD~13 is on the fence about this issue. The pressure to dump home school and go mainstream is intense (Family members, including Dad, think mainstream high school is a great experience. They argue that exposure to ideas different from just a mom teacher is essential for individual development.).

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?

I find myself saying this to DD~13 almost everyday. She wrinkle her nose at me with exasperation when I say,

"He/she who hoots with the owls at night does not fly with the eagles at dawn."

Ds13 is an 8th grader and ds12 is in 6th. I've been homeschooling for six years and consider our style classical-lite. :001_smile:

My oldest will attend our local ps for high school, while my youngest has indicated that he would prefer to homeschool all the way through high school. Those are our plans for the moment, but things do change.

Name: Amy

age of dc: Luke, 12 in PS 6th grade for first time this year, afterschooling grammar/writing

Peyton, 10, homeschooling 4th/5th this year

Romy, 3, along for the ride

how long homeschooling?: 7th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: I taught Luke 5th grade, and now i'm hitting it with Peyton

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Pretty much eclectime WTM

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Probably for Peyton, we'll see with Luke

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Just do the next thing.

Name? Liza - pronounced Lisa (it was supposed to be pronounced Leeza but my parents were more Americanized than they realized and it quickly became Lisa) and the Q is for my maiden name

Ages? 19 (college sophomore), 17 (12th), 12 (7th) and 10 (5th)

How long? Always...so 14 years?

Taught before? Yes, but so far I have had to modify for each child. I feel like I am doing some things for the first time - because I am!

Particular style? Eclectic, I guess. About 40% WTM, 40% CM, 20% traditional, depending on the child/grade/subject

High School? Well, while it went well with the first two and I have yet to find a high school I like....I never say never

Favorite quotes/wisdom? Um...Leave the gun, take the cannoli? Seriously, I do rely on several of the verses that have been mentioned - He has shown thee, Oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of thee, the steadfast love of the Lord never changes, trust in the Lord with all your heart, my grace is sufficient for you. And Elisabeth Elliot's "Do the next thing" has gotten me moving many, many times!

Name: Korin

age of dc: boys 12 & 10

how long homeschooling?: It's been so long I can't remember. Since the beginning. 7-9 years?

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. Time to get serious.

Do you follow a particular style of education? I am much like WildIris, in that I am almost genetically predisposed to not being able to be pegged, or liking to be classified. I do not like to fit in a box, I like to use the box to create something else. I will tell you that I am not an unschooler, or a traditional homeschooler. I suppose I could call myself a quasi-relaxed-rigorous-eclectic, but now I am getting hives. :D

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, although our state has a program that lets my kids get highschool & college credit even starting in middle school, but they have changed the laws a bit, so I might "technically" not be homeschooling, but "tutoring" some classes and sending my kids to one of the local colleges PT. Much better than the choice I had before. So.. I am not intimidated by teaching HS, I just know that if I can get part of their college covered for free and they can get their HS math credit for stuff we are doing NOW, I am all over it. ;)

I am not a quotey person.

How about Nigel Tufnel...."There's a fine line between clever and stupid" & "But these go up to 11"

See, not even a real person...

Paula, thanks again for starting this thread. In the fall I felt overwhelmed by the K-8 board and beat a hasty retreat to the high school board. I have enjoyed "meeting up" with some of my favorite posters again on this new sub-forum. May we all have an inspiring and mind-expanding school year and a joyous holiday season.

Name? Lisa - last name begins with a B; therefore the name lisabees :)

Ages? dd7 (ps), dd11 (coming home in a few weeks!); ds14 (hs last year; back at ps), dd17 (home for the first time this year)

How long? 1 year

Taught before? Last year; ds14 was 7th grade

Particular style? Way too much of a novice to have a style! Last year, ds was home because he struggled. This year, the two that are staying home want to move quickly and work on independent projects. The style between this year and last are different because of different kids.

High School? I am doing high school this year. I am taking one year at a time. Two years ago, you couldn't have convinced me that I would ever be homeschooling. Here I am!

Favorite quotes/wisdom? Hmmm...ever since I started hs, I need a diet coke every day! Hs isn't good for my health! Oh, I need a quote that gets me through the day? How about this one by Ken Robinson?

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original."

With all of that said, I am so excited about this subforum and this year with my 11 year old. Last year, ds14 didn't want to be home. Ds17 wants to be home, but his work doesn't involve me. Logic stage with an 11 year who is bright and begging to come home? This should be fun!!

So happy about getting to know all of you and your kids. I'm afraid I don't have much wisdom to impart, but I will try when I can. Thank you to all of those who have been by my side, guiding me along the way. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. :grouphug:

age of dc: ds "Rocket Boy" is 13

how long homeschooling?: this is our sixth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No - everything is always new for us

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): TWTM w/ some CM thrown in

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Probably - but it's the million dollar question right now

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: No, but I'll be reading others' carefully.

I've been enjoying this new board tremendously, as I finally feel I have a place we belong. We were outcasts on the hs board and bored with the elementary. So this is turning out to be a really good fit!

So y'all don't care about that. Other people have worse problems. I just have two beautiful kids with some quirks. We have fun, and they love each other. Can't beat that. :)

(Well mercy, I just read the rest of the thread and realized I answered the long way! Oh well. Guess now you know I'm not concise either. But yes, 2 kids, electic/classical from the beginning, in our 7th year of homeschooling, and I assume home for high school unless things fall apart or change or don't come together properly.)

Actually we do care. :grouphug: I agree this board is a great fit.

So after 6 years of thinking education was this thing I made her, I'm finally working hard to figure out whole in the world she is and how I can nurture it.

Oh, style. Well mercy, maybe hypocritical would be the right word?

(Well mercy, I just read the rest of the thread and realized I answered the long way!

Your post made me chuckle and choke up all at the same time. :001_smile: I would love to "meet" everyone the way you introduced yourself!

I love the first quoted line. Isn't it true? How do we nurture who are kids truly are, not who we want them to be? It's always a balancing act, it seems.

Ds14 is dyslexic and you have helped me with your posts during the last year. :001_smile: I am constantly amazed at ds's awareness in people and the world around him. That social and visual-spatial awareness astounds me, every single day, and will be the strengths that carry him throughout life. They'll all be just fine, won't they, if we return daily to your first quote? If these kids of ours become who they were meant to be, we will have "done good".

If these kids of ours become who they were meant to be, we will have "done good".

I'm chewing on that. I think I've been mourning the loss of who I wanted her to be or who I thought she could be. (which probably isn't so different from what many parents experience at some point anyways) Better to turn it on the positive and figure out who she's MEANT to be. Sometimes I wish somebody would lop me upside the head and just say see, don't you see it? :)

Thank you to all of those who have been by my side, guiding me along the way. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. :grouphug:

You know, this is really an amazing thing to ponder. In a sense we wouldn't be either, because I could have been convinced the school could do better. But with the help of the boards and this hive of minds reaching so far and going so many directions (and the fabulous archives), I've found all kinds of answers and options I wouldn't have found otherwise. Last night I was reading more back posts on the board and found what I think the explanation is for dd's difficulty with book reports and retellings. No practitioner had found that for me or connected the dots like that. It was mothers and pooling information and discoveries. What an amazing thing that is!

Name: Tammy

age of dc: 16 and 13

how long homeschooling? Forever

have you taught these ages/grades before? Yes & no. Oldest is my trail balloon.

Do you follow a particular style of education? My kids don't match up to my ideal style and philosophy. So, our home school is as classical as I am able to make it. I'm most comfortable with a combination of WTM and on-line or dvd classes.

Do you plan to home school high school? Yes. As a matter of fact, I'm doing it right now.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? Just do the lessons, day after day; this is a marathon not a race. Kelly used to say...."GET ER DONE!"

Edited by Tammyla

So y'all don't care about that.

Oh, yes, we do! :grouphug:

And I've "known" you on here for many, many years-you are an amazing woman, committed to providing your dc with whatever *they* need, even if it isn't how you pictured it, and even if you have to search the world over (or at least the boards ;)) to find it! And at the same time generously sharing your wisdom with the rest of us.

Your dc will turn out to be extraordinary people, if they are anything like their momma! :)

Name: Libby

age of dc: dd 11 & ds 8

have you taught these ages/grades before?: nope

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): We're eclectic. I'd like to be completely CM, but I'm just not that good so I guess some sort of CM/WTM/traditional classical combo.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: It's not a sprint; it's a marathon.

Edited by Lostinabook

Name: Caitilin

age of dc: dds 13, ds 9, ds 8, dd 6, ds 2

how long homeschooling?: since twins were Kers!

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope!

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): WTM-ish

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

I'm chewing on that. I think I've been mourning the loss of who I wanted her to be or who I thought she could be. (which probably isn't so different from what many parents experience at some point anyways) Better to turn it on the positive and figure out who she's MEANT to be. Sometimes I wish somebody would lop me upside the head and just say see, don't you see it? :)

:grouphug::grouphug: Elizabeth, our situations are different but the sentiments are similar. Mourning? Yes. Positive? Working on it. Glad you are on this board to tell it like it is so eloquently?;) Absolutely!:D

Name: Debbie ;)

Age of dc: ds 12 in a couple of days; dd 9.5

How long homeschooling?: from the beginning so 6 years, 7 if you count what (little) we did in K

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: no; first time through

Do you follow a particular style of education? WTM got me organized; LCC made it manageable; now I do a combo of those and what works for my kiddoes

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: This is an interesting question for us right now. Many of our friends want the kids to be in school with them. One of my ds's best friends started PS this year and that was tough. The problem is we have a great Christian school here and all things considered, a great PS. We have always taken it a year at a time and so far, haven't felt released to put them in school. However, several things have happened recently that have caused us to start praying and weighing if this is the right time to consider it. I'm very torn. (But that's a whole 'nother story :001_smile:)

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: My sig is really my favorite quote right now because I feel like this gets me through every day...aiming for the beyond-here-and-now with all it's ups and downs and struggles and head-butting and tiredness and feeling like I can not do this yet another day. Keeping that bigger picture in mind helps me get through each day. (That and a beer :tongue_smilie:) Kidding........

sorta

Edited by Debbie in OR

Oh, style. Well mercy, maybe hypocritical would be the right word?

I love your word and have to say only "fickle" would describe my style any better. I can't tell you how many things I've tried with my oldest this year. I am always slow to understand what's going on with him and as soon as I do, I am a step behind. I also identify with giving up a bit of the vision I started with, but it's okay. The heart of it is still there even if it starts to take a different shape.

Thanks for saying so well what many of us were experiencing. I'm always glad to read your insights!

Name: Krista

age of dc: ds-just turned 10, ds-7

how long homeschooling?: this is our fourth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: everything is new for the 10yo - he gets to be the guinea pig :D

Do you follow a particular style of education? I like the term "adapted classical!" We are a mix of WTM and LCC

Name: Nancy

age of dc: ds13, dd12, dd10, ds7, ds3

how long homeschooling?: this is our ninth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Well, I have 2 in the logic stage for sure right now...but with the exception of math and writing they are doing the same work.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): The WTM has always been my jumping off point, but I would consider myself eclectic with a classical bent. It is my first year using TOG and not piecing things together myself, so we are in a state of transition right now.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, if nothing crazy happens.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? "Homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint." I find that I get much less stressed when I remember this little nugget.

Name: Linda

Age of children: ds 24, dd 21, dd 17, dd 10

How long homeschooling: Let's see, I started when ds was 4, he is soon to be 25 -- 21 years:w00t:

Have you taught these ages/ grades before? yes.

Do you follow a particular style of education? Not really, each child is different.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Yes, dd 17 graduates in May, then there is only one left at home.

Any favorite quotes or words of wisdom that get you through the day? Not that I can think of right now.

Hi, I'm Diane.

My middle schooler is my 4th and last/youngest child.

He's in 6th, and this is the first time I've taught 6th grade! My oldest two were in school for 6th, and my third one skipped 6th.

This is the first time I have had any inkling of confidence in teaching a kid this age -- thank you Lord!

I've been home schooling officially since my oldest was 5 years old in 1995, and have not taken a year off in all those years, even though there were a few years when one kid or another went to school for some reason or another.

I have vowed that, Lord willing, and, to the best of my ability, this youngest one will be home schooled all the way through, even high school, and even though he keeps asking to go to school because he's sure it's way more fun (save me, please!).

I'm not sure if I have a "style" or not. I use an eclectic approach. I've been drawn to Classical and Charlotte Mason, but I am not really that good at them. I feel the most comfortable with textbooks, because I'm kind of a cut & dry methodical type person. I'm finding the more I teach my own kids that my own education seems to have been quite lacking in many ways. But I'm always learning and gaining confidence in what I'm doing, and I've learned that home is better after all, even if things aren't always going the best.

I have two quotes: 1) I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. and, 2) Apart from Him I can do nothing. Both are true. At the same time.

Yes, thanks for the middle grade board, I'm glad to have it, and I will continue to look at the younger grade board because I think as an "older" (i.e., further along, lol) woman I can be of some help (sometimes).

Name: I'm Darla

age of dc: 7, 10, 13 and 16.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: I have two high school age and one was home schooled during the middle grades, one started at high school level (He was 12. If I had it to do over, I would not have considered him a 9th grader.)

Do you follow a particular style of education? Eclectic, but really wanting to move back toward classical in some areas--especially with my younger two.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Already doing it!

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I like the one in my sig, as it is supposed to remind me (every time I post) to stop procrastinating. :tongue_smilie:

Name: Ami

age of dc: DD11, DS10

how long homeschooling?: 3rd year with DS, 2nd Year with DD

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No (teach both together)

Do you follow a particular style of education? Did two years of Ambleside and now doing TOG year 3

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes -at least for my son

Name: Michelle

age of dc: 13, 10, 7, 6

how long homeschooling?: this is our 5th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: only one child. I'll only go through this once.

Do you follow a particular style of education?

I'd say we're fairly eclectic, although we're leaning more and more towards traditional textbooks.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes (although the kids may attend the local Christian school for one or two classes)

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?:

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Philippians 4:13

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of lurking since summer and am trying to spend less time on the computer :tongue_smilie:, so just found this new board a few weeks ago.

Age of dc: I have 5 kids, ages 7 to 16. My Logic age boy is 13.

How long homeschooling?: We're in our 9th year of homeschooling. I can't believe it's been that long!

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: This is my second time though Logic stage. Even though it was just a few years ago, it will be very different this time. My 13 yo has a much different personality and interests than my oldest dd, and my thoughts about learning and education have evolved too.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): As an earlier poster mentioned, I got very excited about the WTM when we first started homeschooling, but burned out pretty quickly. Since then, we've been doing what I sometimes call "WTM-lite". Lately I've been reading LCC. The less-is-more philosophy is appealing, but I'm not sure I want to spend so much time on ancient languages.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? We're doing it with our oldest. We'll evaluate what makes sense for each, but probably will continue for all five.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? Tomorrow is another day.

Age of dc: I have twin 10 year old girls that are 5th graders.

How long homeschooling?: We're in our 6th year of homeschooling.

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: No.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I follow many of WTM's recommendations although I generally refer to our method of schooling as either classically eclectic or eclectically classic. ;)

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Right now that is the plan although both my husband and I always say that we take each year one at a time. So far, it's proven to be the right thing for our whole family.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? I like to remind myself of these three quotes, especially when either I or one of my kids feel overwhelmed by something we are encountering:

"If we did all the things that we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves" - Thomas Edison

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

"Not doing more than average is what keeps the average down" - Wm. Winans

Edited by Laurie in Life

Name: Margie

age of dc: DD13 in 7th grade, DD10 - attends Catholic school

how long homeschooling? This is our second year

have you taught these ages/grades before? no

Do you follow a particular style of education? I'm very influenced by WTM. I'm figuring it out as I go along. My goal is for my DD to be well prepared for high school, whatever we end up doing.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? At this point, no. That could all change. We were not planning on homeschooling middle school. :001_smile:

I don't have any favorite quotes or wisdom to get me through my day. Coffee and my computer are my friends.

Name: Amber

age of dc: dd11 in 7th, dd9 in 3rd, ds 6 in K, ds4 in preK

how long homeschooling?: This is our third year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I am very ecclectic. I do follow the WTM method for history and writing (loosly for writing) but I find myself doing more and more WTM every year. Our first year was a total bust, we had the worst curriculum for my dc :glare:

Quote: Let the days own worries be sufficient for the day

And I live by the serenity prayer-- Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Name: Ruth

age of dc: DS 20 at UNC Chapel Hill, DD 18 on gap year and DS 14 and 8th/9th grd. I guess I barely fit on this board.:001_huh:

how long homeschooling?: 12 years

have you taught these ages/grades before?: yes, twice

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): What fits each child. Oldest followed a largely classical course, 2nd preferred a more CM style. The last is finding his style.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: BTDT and plan to again

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: This too shall pass, but let's make the best of it while we can.

We're not in the logic stage yet, but preparing for next year. So glad for this sub forum.

Name: Laura

age of dc: My 4th grader is 9 and my 2nd grader is 8.

how long homeschooling?: This is the 3rd year for the 4th grader, 2nd for the 2nd grader. They both did stints in ps.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Blazing a trail (Lord help us) with the oldest.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): We are definitely eclectic hsers.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Unsure. We're taking this a year at a time, but our current thought is at least through middle school.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? The WTM Forum helps me get through the day!

Name: Cindy

age of dc: DD11 grade 6 she's home schooled, DS15 private school

how long homeschooling? 10 years.

have you taught these ages/grades before? yes. ds went to

school in 7th grade

Do you follow a particular style of education? eclectic

Do you plan to home school high school? probably

Quote: Life is hard, soften yours with a cat.

Name: Colleen

age of dc: see my signature

how long homeschooling?: into my eighth year (how did that happen - I'm still getting started!!)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: nope. (help!!) Oh wait, not sure what you mean. This is my first time going through grade 7, but second time going through grade 4.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Generally, I use the advice/methods/resources in WTM, tweaked for us and supplemented by other things as I see fit.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, although science and math are making me more and more nervous....

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: no. Just knowing there are others in cyberspace doing what I'm doing and for the same reasons helps me keep going.

Actually we do care. :grouphug:

:iagree: You've got a lot on your plate, apparently, Elizabeth! A lot more than I realized.

It was mothers and pooling information and discoveries. What an amazing thing that is!

Definitely. I guess we really are the experts on our kids, with each others' help, even if we don't feel like it at times.

Just do the lessons, day after day

Thank you - I'm rather tired of doing the lessons day after day right now....

how long homeschooling?: I think this is my 18th official year.

Um, could you stick around and post more?!??!?!? :D

It's all small stuff.

Thanks for this too - it's good for me to read right now.

Name: Melissa

age of dc: 3 girls, ages 12, 9, and almost 7

how long homeschooling?: almost 7 years...we pulled dd12 out of ps in the middle of 1st grade

have you taught these ages/grades before?: I taught ps 7th grade for several years, but that seems like a lifetime ago now and very little of that "classroom experience" actually applies to the homeschooling environment! In many ways, my oldest is very much the test subject.

Do you follow a particular style of education? WTM has always been my guidebook, and I have tweaked things over the years, but ultimately, I always end up back at the WTM concepts as best practice for our family, especially with narrating, writing, and reading.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes. No other viable options exist for us. As time goes on, I am more & more confident in saying it too...(after years of saying "we'll see...")

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil.4:13)

I am SO SO grateful for this sub-forum for Logic stage. I don't post very often but I read almost daily, and this entire forum has been a gift from day one when I lurked on the old boards.

Name: Melissa new location: Maryland

age of dc: two girls, 13 and almost 11

how long homeschooling?: This is our eighth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. This is our first time through.

Do you follow a particular style of education?WTM is our spine but I stray a lot. Academic and rigorous

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: I don't know yet. We will do it as long as it is working.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Listen to your mother.

I'm Dyan

age of dc: one 11 yr old dd (soon to be 12!)

how long homeschooling?: Hmmm ... I believe it's my 6th year - time flies!

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No. Perhaps it might have been better for my dd if I had. ;) When you don't know what you're doing, intuition with a sprinkling of common sense works very well.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): all of the above with more emphasis on WTM.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Quote of the week: Truth, goodness, beauty ----- are the values by which we judge everything in the universe ----- our ideas, our thoughts, human conduct, the world of nature, and the world of artistic products. ~ Mortimer J. Adler ~