Menu

Middle Grade & Logic Stage introductions

I thought we'd do an introduction thread for this forum. I'd love to get know more about those of us here.

Share as much as you'd like, as much as your comfortable with:

Name: I'm Paula

age of dc: one ds "Z" age 13

how long homeschooling?: this is our seventh year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: only one child. I'll only go through this once.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): we use LCC as our foundation, add in some subjects WTM style, and some of his own interests. I call it adapted classical.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I have many that I enjoy pondering, but the one that keeps coming back to me is "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape".:D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea!

Name: Kellie

age of dc: 3 boys (10, 8, almost 2)

how long homeschooling?: this is our 5th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: my oldest is the guinea pig:001_smile:and hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I read the WTM when we first started and went overboard and burned out. Switched to CM for a little while and then last year the boys went to a 2 day a week program where they sent home the lesson plans for me to work with them on the other days of the week. I did not like it at all because I love the planning! This summer I reread the WTM (coming into logic stage!) and we are giving it another go. I've always loved the philosophy of classical and am glad to be back. I feel my oldest is now ready step it up.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I have lurked on these boards for years and very much appreciate the examples, advice, and wisdom of all those with children older than mine!

Hi, I have two dds who are ages 13 (8th) and 7 (2nd).

I've been homeschooling for 9 years...wow, I can't believe that...:lol:

My older dd is bearing the brunt of my learning curve since she is my first. I hope my younger dd will have it a bit easier.

I follow the Charlotte Mason method, but since the upper years are less-defined I have adapted it to fit us and of course modern times. I love WTM and LCC and other resources to help me do this.

We will be homeschooling through high school.:eek:

I'll look up some quotes and see if I can add one later.

I like your quote Paula!

Edited by Kfamily

Name: Luann, in Idaho (not Indiana)

Ages of dc: This is in my siggie.

How long homeschooling: Since oldest dd started school -- so 17 years or so?

Have you taught these ages before: Yes.

Do you follow a particular style of education? We've been following WTM in a floundering sort of way for the past 10-11 years.

Do you plan to homeschool highschool? Yes. I have and I am and I will. At this point, I don't think I could imagine doing it any other way.

Favorite quotes to get you through the day: "Do the next thing." (Elisabeth Elliot) And "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." (Dorie in Finding Nemo)

Edited by Luann in ID

I'm Regena.

I'm going through logic stage for the second time.

My children are 5 1/2 years apart. My older son is in college now. I hsed him through ninth grade by which time he was about to burst to have the "high school experience", so we let him attend a small (less than 900) private school here.

He attended private schools for pre-school through first grade prior to our move here. My younger son attended pre-school and K here in private schools (so we could get some work done at home, LOL) then came home.

I put together a plan for my older son through high school, but then didn't use all of it because his last year he ended up choosing to do several dual credit classes through Indiana University, as well as some high school correspondence courses through UK here, etc. So I modified my plans.

Modification is pretty much the name of the game for me, in fact, and I guess that's the best thing since every child is different. I'm not doing the exact same things with my younger son that I did with the older one.

I still have a contingency plan to hs him through high school, but of course since he wants to do everything his older brother does he's talking about going to the same high school. (I'm not thrilled with the school; but it's the least of all evils here, in my opinion). The trouble is, he has a lot of anxiety problems, and they're beginning to manifest now with the onset of puberty, so I'm not sure how he's going to do with high school. Sigh.

So I'm in my 12th year of homeschooling. I've homeschooled first grade once and second through seventh twice now; then eighth and ninth once thus far (I was really more of a facilitator during ninth).

I helped start the same coop twice, then gave up on coops, LOL. I've taught a number of classes over the years, including geography; a Kentucky history class; a Tree of Life class (biology and classification); filled as a pre-school drama teacher (LOL - if you knew me you would, too....); various geology classes; an art appreciation class (for the artistically challenged); and a couple of medieval history classes.

I tend toward the classical although I really have to say that our style is eclectic. I tend toward a non-textbook approach to learning....

I'm going to try to step out of "lurkdom" and actually become a participant on the boards!

I'm Matona.

I have five children but only homeschool 2. They are dd11 and ds9. I have a dd13 who goes to a school for dyslexia and two littles, ds7 and dd5, who go to our neighborhood school.

I love TWTM and mostly follow it. I am still developing my educational theories but I believe reading is the key. We do a lot of that. We also whine a lot. I consider my self a facilitator of information not a teacher.

I have no clever quote, coffee gets me through the day.

Name: JenneinAZ (but I am in CA now. We moved about two years ago.)

Ages: dd12, ds10, ds6

How long homeschooling?: Forever

Style of Education: Whatever works, currently a mix of online, classical and mommy-made classes

High School: Probably, but if it doesn't work we will look for other options.

Quote: Be like a duck. (From a song, "When the rain starts falling let it roll off your back, open up your beak and go Quack, Quack, Quack. Be like a duck.")

Name: Brenda

age of dc: ds 12, dd 10, ds 8

how long homeschooling?: This is our 8th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: First time going through the Logic Stage

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I'll just say classical - I start with WTM and adapt from there. This year we also started Classical Conversations and since we have a new group with older siblings - we do have a foundations class with middle school students and as of now - I intend to keep my oldest in Foundations next year as well.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Hmmm - we'll see. One day at a time - right now I'm struggling with myself not to enroll my oldest in public school right now!! I hope his attitude changes by High School!!

I like Paula's quote, and I always appreciate any tidbits from Regena - I've been gleaning from her experience for the past 7 - 8 years! Thanks Regena!!

Name: Kash

age of dc: My oldest is 10. The other two are 5 & 2.

how long homeschooling?: If you count from kindergarten, this is our sixth year. (Yiles!)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. I am familiar with the age group thanks to work over the years in GS & horseback riding, but this is my first go-round with one of my own.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I say we follow WTM, and I do feel like we follow the spirit of WTM, but I find myself deviating more and more wrt to my oldest.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Absolutely.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Some days, I keep telling myself "Never let 'em see you sweat."

Name: I'm Michele

age of dc: dd10 and dd6.5

how long homeschooling?: this is our fifth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?:I started dd10 in 2005. dd6.5 is a horse of a different color!

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): adapted WTM

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Lord, have mercy!:)

I'm Moon. I also answer to Kara. :001_smile:

This year I am teaching grades 7, 5, 2, and K. I also have a 2.5yo and a 3 month old bringing up the rear. None of them have attended a brick and mortar school. The 7th grader is the family guinea pig, but they're all constantly teaching me how to teach.

We're pretty Classical, but not hard core by any means. We follow most of the methods described in TWTM, but don't necessarily use the curricula suggested. We blend parts of VP and CAP into it.

High school has always been in the plans, but nothing is set in stone.

"Tell me, and I will forget.

Show me, and I will remember.

Involve me, and I will understand."

Homeschool mom: Losing my mind, finding my soul.

Hi, I'm Carole. I'm from New Zealand but have just recently moved to the Middle East, where DH is teaching at an international school.

I have one son age 10 who is gifted (Aspie) and working at 7th grade level except for math (Geometry).

DS has been home for 3 1/2 years but I also homeschooled our two neices while they lived with us as teenagers. So this is my first time for this age/grade but I have taught grades 9-11 twice.

My style is evolving/eclectic. I am just reading TWTM for the first time but I can see that a lot of it lines up with my goals for logic/rhetoric stages.

As above, I have homeschooled highschool twice already and I plan to do it again.

I can't think of any quotes but I love learning from all the wisdom here on the boards.

Name: Aubrey

age of dc: 9 (4th g), 7, 3, 2--lurking, planning for next year

how long homeschooling?: this is our 6th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope.

Do you follow a particular style of education? WTM, but leaning into the MCT camp. Generally classical.

Name: Jill

age of dc: dd11, ds11, and ds7

how long homeschooling?: This is our seventh year.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I started following the WTM. Now I would classify myself as eclectic and relaxed.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, but I will leave the decision up to my children.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Relax and enjoy the ride.

Name: Morgan (aka "Smrtmama")

Age of kids: Captain Science is 10, Tank is 4.5, Babypie is 20 months.

How long homeschooling?: This is our second year

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope!

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Neo-classical (classical with a modern twist)

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: If you put them in a sack and hang it off the porch, someone is going to call CPS, so try to ignore that urge.

Name: Lynn

age of dc: ds12, ds8, dd7, ds5, dd2

how long homeschooling?: Always... so ~7years?

(But I started going to homeschool conferences 12 years ago - I was a curriculum junkie way back then! :tongue_smilie:)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: My oldest is 6th grade, so this is our first time through "logic stage."

Do you follow a particular style of education? A blend of WTM/CM. I'm pathetic with nature study, but the rest of CM's view of children and education resonate with me more than a strict grammar stage/logic stage/rhetoric stage approach.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: I'm trying to remind myself "Be Ye Thankful" ever since I heard a great sermon with that title.... but I'm a natural, born complainer.... so I'm working on it. :D

Name: Melanie

age of dc: My kids are in 9th and 6th grades.

how long homeschooling? This is our 9th year.

have you taught these ages/grades before? Yes. I'm definitely doing a better job this time around, which makes me happy for my daughter, but a little sad for my son. (I do my very best for him, but of course he is my guinea pig.)

Do you follow a particular style of education? Our homeschool is as classical as I am able to make it. :) I'm most comfortable with a combination of WTM and LCC.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Yes. As a matter of fact, I'm doing it right now.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? Well, I keep this vodka bottle in my freezer... ;)

Name: Jackie

age of dc 10, 8, 3

how long homeschooling? This is our 5th year.

have you taught these ages/grades before? No

Do you follow a particular style of education? Classical, follow WTM fairly closely

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Would love to but am taking each year as it comes.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? I'm loving all the quotes that everyone else is giving. My fav. homeschooling quote is in my sig.

Well, I keep this vodka bottle in my freezer... ;)

Name: Lisa

age of dc: C is 11, K will be 9 in Jan, J is 7, E is 4, and A will be 2 in Jan.

how long homeschooling?: Been in HS since 1985 (personally), started planning when I was PG with C, and haven't really looked back.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: My oldest is my first time through... all of the others will have the benefit of his experience.

Do you follow a particular style of education? Definitely eclectic. History is definitely in the Classical vein, Science is not. Math...not sure there is a "classical" way to approach that. English and Lit is a composite of Classical and textbook, as we need. We will be starting MCT next year, that will make us "look" a bit more Classical. Also, I will be using FLL for the first few years with my youngest two... and that is also more Classical. However, lit will always be a mix.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes. In fact, I was working on the next 6 years overview for my oldest yesterday :D

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: God put me on this earth to accomplish a few things, but at the rate I'm going, I'll never die... (okay, not exactly wise, but definitely suits my ever-growing list of things to do!)

My current logic stage child is turning 14, in eighth grade. I've done it once before and plan to again for last ds (all boys)-kids are 17, 13 and 9.

He's been homeschooled since beginning of fourth grade.

He wants to go to high school in the fall. We are applying to a math\science magnet for next year. I hope he changes his mind. Elder bro went there one year, for ninth grade, then came home for good.

Style: secular classical, I probably do less history and more science than TWTM recommends, guided by kids' interests. As much interest-led learning as we can manage.

I've homeschooled hs once already, and it was amazing, I am SO hoping to do it again with this child.

Name: In the virtual world I'm Keniki. In real life, I'm Denise.

age of dc: ds 21, dd 12 (for 5 more weeks), and ds 11

how long homeschooling?: I think this is my 18th official year.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yep.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Eclectic -- trying to keep it fun and interesting as long as I can.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes definitely.

Name: Amy

age of dc: 8th and 2nd

how long homeschooling? this is the 6th year

have you taught these ages/grades before? Not exactly, I started homeschooling dd in 3rd, so I didn't homeschool her for K-2nd like ds. I have 5th-8th grades in some private part-time situations.

Do you follow a particular style of education? I like some traditional school curricula, so I like to use it as a base then add in classical and CM elements.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Yes.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? I really enjoy Micah 6:8. "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God" (NIV). I think it really simplifies life and shows what truly matters.

Name: I'm Deanna

age of dc: DD11, DD9, DS6, and DS2

how long homeschooling?: 7 years

have you taught these ages/grades before?: My oldest is my first logic stage. Next year I'll have 2 logic stage.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Definitely classical with a lot drawn from WTM

Name: Aime

age of dc: dd13\7th, dd11\6th, dd7\2nd, ds4\preK, dd2

how long homeschooling?: About 2 1\2 years.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I suppose I would qualify as classical\eclectic. I am drawn to classical\WTM for the core subjects but science and history seem to work best at our house using an interest led method.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes. I would like to say that I will never put them in ps high school but I have learned to never say never.

I used to have a lot of inspirational quotes and thoughts that get me through my days but I seem to have misplaced all of them. I might find them again once my 2yo is older. Right now the only thing I can come up with is this...The level of my patience is in direct relation to how many closed doors there are between myself and my toddler.

I wouldn't be able to do this if I didn't have this board to rely on...love all of you!

Name: I'm Capt. Uhura (And an avid Star Trek Fan)

age of dc: DS10/5th grade, DS7,/2nd grade, DDalmost4,preK

how long homeschooling?: This is our third year.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I'd say WTM-classical/eclectic.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Taking it a year at a time.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: HHm I do have one but I can't think of it right now.

Name: DH calls me Holdoll but my name is Holly

age of dc: one dd 16 and one dd 12 - as different as different can be

how long homeschooling?: this is our eighth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Started out strictly Classical. Now we're a little of this and a little of that, whatever works best for dc. A previous poster worded it best - Neo Classical. I think I'd like to follow WTM a little more closely now.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: What gets me through the day is humor, chocolate and this board (I think I'm addicted).

Name: Amy

age of dc: 13, 11, 7, 5, and 3 (so grades 7, 5, 2, and K)

how long homeschooling?:

9 years if you count both K years with my oldest (she had undiagnosed LDs and I started officially homeschooling, then told the state she wasn't quite ready, but kept schooling off the record)

have you taught these ages/grades before?:

all but the 7th grader

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,):

I'd say we're basically ecclectic, with classical/LCC leanings ...more "old" classical than neo. With my 7th grader, I try everything and use what works. It's usually different things than the others.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?:

I'd like to, but we are taking it one year/one kid at a time.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?:

I wish I could think of some! The only one coming to mind is "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." :)

Name: Julia

Ages of dc: dd is 11, ds is almost 10 and dd is almost 8

How long have you homeschooled: We have been doing it from the beginning so we are in our 7th year

Have you taught these ages/grades before? Nope, dd is my guinea pig

Do you follow a particular style of education? I like to think of ourselves as classical but with the bombing of latin these past two years, I think I should probably term ourselves as eclectic.

Do you plan to homeschool highschool? Yes.

I have no quotes but I do have a mantra that I adapted after a particular bad year last year and I have continued it on through this year: Just do it.

Name: I'm Tammy

age of dc: I have two graduated 24 (married, working, and still in college), 22 (Marine Corp), a 17yo junior, a 13yo 8th grader, a 12yo 6th grader, and an 11yo 5th grader

how long homeschooling?: This is my 15th year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: yes

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Mostly WTM done with a twist

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Yes, almost through with my third go 'round with 3 more to go.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Can't think of any favorite quotes right this minute, but I have learned not to lose my sense of humor. That helps day to day. The minute I start to take things too seriously, I'm in trouble. It's all small stuff. :001_smile:

Name: Laura

age of dc: ds12, ddjustturned11, dd7

how long homeschooling?: fourth year. Every year I think I know what I'm doing and every year I find out I'm wrong.

have you taught these ages/grades before?: no. I'm really struggling w/ds b/c we started in 4th grade, and I've had other work projects that kept me distracted, so I feel like he's not where I'd like him to be.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): LCC/WTM inspired, but too chaotic of a follow through. We're severely lacking in science and writing. I'm hoping to remedy this problem over the summer.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Possibly. My kids will probably go to the local high school across the street for 2 classes so that they can participate in sports. There is an outstanding classical Catholic prep school in our area that I wouldn't mind ds going to.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?

I love Erma Bombeck and here are a few of hers:

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me".

Cleaning the house while the kids are young is like shovelling in a blizzard.

And:

Seize the moment. Remember the women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert.

I thought we'd do an introduction thread for this forum. I'd love to get know more about those of us here.

Share as much as you'd like, as much as your comfortable with:

Name: Coffeegal ;)

age of dc: ds 14, ds 13, dd 11, ds 8, dd 17 months, ds @ 1 week

how long homeschooling?: start about 10 years ago, when I read the WTM

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes, except for my oldest

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): We use TWTM as our foundation, with a bit of LCC thrown in, and a strong dose of 'KISS'

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Breath... and stay calm... :willy_nilly:

:001_smile:

Name: Daphyne

Age of dc: DD 11yo, DS 8yo

How long homeschooling? this is our 5th year

Have you taught these ages/grades before?: This is our first time through middle school.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I most closely identify with a classic education but I'd call myself eclectic.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Yes

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;

his mercies never come to an end;

they are new every morning;

great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23

Age of dc: my logic stage dc - DD11

How long homeschooling? 6 years

Have you taught these ages/grades before? no

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Eclectic)? WTM with a bit of unschooling thrown in!

Do you plan to homeschool high school? yes

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? "Rome wasn't built in a day" and Romans 8.

Name: Lisa

age of dc: dd (18), ds (15)-public high school, ds (12)

how long homeschooling?: this is our fourth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes, I taught my oldest son for 7th and 8th grade

Do you follow a particular style of education? Does "rapidly evolving" count as a style?

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: No! I never even planned on homeschooling, but currently I have a 7th grader and 12th grader at home.:D

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: The quote that reminds me to check my perspective:

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

~Albert Einstein (whose picture reminds me not to take myself too seriously)

Hi!

age of dc: 5 boys: 11, 10, 8, 6, & 5

how long homeschooling?: since the beginning

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Nope. I'm working out the kinks on my poor eldest guinea pig.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): We're classical, mostly WTM last time I checked

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Nope. Just a bottle of wine. (I'm just kidding! I don't drink!)

Name: Roxanne

age of dc: DD 11, DS 9, twin DSs 8, and DS 5

how long homeschooling?: since the beginning

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No, my DD is my guinea pig.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Well, I started out with ABEKA. Then, we moved to CM. Finally, we have landed at classical/eclectic/relaxed.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

and he will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Hello! My name is Bridget.

My only homeschooler is my youngest, a 12yo girl. Her siblings are 30, 21, and 19, are out on their own, and were all public-schooled.

We are in our 3rd year of homeschooling, and the plan is to continue through highschool. At the very minimum, I hope to have her here until her junior year.

Do I have a particular style? No, honestly, unless we can be called "wildly eclectic". I have goals. I encourage my daughter to have goals. Then we tackle them. There is always lots of reading and discussion, though, and history is being done WTMish.

So I am a rookie homeschooler with grand plans and a can-do attitude stemming from parenting and life experience. If I'm doing it wrong, don't tell me! :) All I know is that we are having a pretty good time together! And I am forever grateful that I am able to draw on the ideas and wisdom from all of you here.

Quote? "Hold on. I need more tea."

Name Jackie

age of dc DS12, DD8

how long homeschooling? This is our 3rd year

have you taught these ages/grades before? Nope — and my 2 kids are so incredibly different, in every way, that nothing I learn from teaching DS will do me any good when it comes to DD. :glare:

Do you follow a particular style of education? I guess I'd call it relaxed/eclectic/making-it-up-as-I-go-along. DS is a 2E (more like 5E) visual/spatial learner — pretty much the exact opposite of me — so I'm having to fly by the seat of my pants and figure out what does and doesn't work. I like the LCC approach of doing a few subjects in depth really well, but we're only "classical" in the sense of studying classical history & literature (DS is pretty obsessed with the Greeks). We don't study Latin and I don't believe in the idea of the "trivium" as developmental stages (I swear DS was born in the "logic stage").

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Definitely, although that will also include lots of CC courses.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? Not a direct quote, but both JennW and 8FilltheHeart have posted something along the lines of: of course kids will have "gaps," they can't possibly learn everything there is to learn by 12th grade. Of course I knew that on some level, but the idea that "gaps" are not only inevitable but *THEY'RE OK* was something of a revelation for me. It meant I could stop trying to cram DS full of information he had zero interest in, and let him follow his own passions. And that has made HUGE difference in our homeschool experience.

Jackie

Name: Heather

age of dc: 4 boys: 10, 8, 5, and 6 mos.

how long homeschooling?: this is our seventh year :-)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Our oldest is in 5th grade; this is our first trip through the logic stage.

Do you follow a particular style of education? TWTM is our foundation and we tweak from there.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: Not sure

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: It all begins with me. (from MMV) If I'm off-task or scattered, the children will be, too.

Name: Cheryl

Age of dc: dd12(7th), ds10(5/6th), dd/ds7twins(2nd)

How long homeschooling: This is our second year.

Have you taught these grades before: Nope, next year will be our first year not reinventing the wheel.

Do you follow a particular style of education: Mostly TWTM Classical, integrating CM a little this year, and looking into Classical Conversations for next year because I can not seem to work in Latin, not enough time in the day.

Do you plan to homeschool high school: Maybe. Dd doesn't want to hs high school, but the private school they were at is costly and not rigorous AT ALL. Best case scenario is we hs through 10th then enroll through ps dual enrollment program with local community college and finish hs with a diploma and an AA for FREE!

Favorite quotes that get me through the day: Other than daily scripture, just reading all your favorite quotes, encouragement, and wisdom here gets me through. I couldn't have gotten this far without this forum. Thanks ladies!:grouphug:

Name: Stephanie

Age of dc: DS 11 & DD 16

How long homeschooling?: 5 Years

Have you taught these ages/grades before?:Not this year. Dd was in 7th grade when we started homeschooling.

Do you follow a particular style of education? I'd call us classically eclectic. We use the WTM as our framework with CM & OM.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: I am and do.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Not any quotes, & yes coffee helps, but on the days when I ask myself why we are doing this, I look at the big picture, and remember that my kids are only children once & I am committed to them for this period in their life.

age of dc: dd10 (11 next wk), 5th grade but advanced; ds7, 2nd grade

how long homeschooling: all their school years so far!

have you taught these ages/grades before?: no

Do you follow a particular style of education?: Classical as a base, but branching out more every year into eclectic.

Edited by HappyGrace

Name: Brandy

age of dc: ds is 12, dd 11, ds 7 and dd 2

how long homeschooling?: this is our fifth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: This is my first time through all of these grades, my older 2 went to ps for K-1 and my oldest for 2nd as well, so even for the younger grades it is new to me.

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): I Wish we could follow WTM more closely it really speaks to me, but it is not what works best for my kids, so we are definitely more eclectic. I follow many of the recommendations in WTM but also add in other elements/programs when I feel there are more suitable.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Nothing too spectacular here. I just remind myself constantly we are not behind, the kids are exactly where they need to be.

Elegant lion, thanks for starting this thread! It's so much fun to read everyone's bio. It helps me see there are lots of folks in the same boat as me!

Name: I'm Jennifer. I am a registered dietitian, abbreviated as RD in my "call name"

age of dc: DD 7th (about to be 13), DS 3rd (8)

how long homeschooling?: This is our 8th year

have you taught these ages/grades before? My oldest is right in the middle of logic stage--poor thing, she's my guinea pig. I'm already doing different things with my youngest--he's benefiting from my mistakes. LOL

Do you follow a particular style of education? Eclectic but I've gone more traditional this year than ever. Not sure what I think yet...

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Well, now, that is the question of the day! I really can't say yet. One day, I'm fired up to tackle it and the next day I'm cringing and doubting whether or not it is the best thing for my dd. DH and I are in deep prayer about it....

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day? You know, I've seen a million quotes I love, but just when I need one, I can't remember it!

Hugs and kisses to you all! I love the comradery! Don't have much of that where I live...;)

Jennifer

Name: Jamie

age of dc: DS11, DS 6--in PS

how long homeschooling? This is second full year

have you taught these ages/grades before? nope, but DH is a middle school teacher

Do you follow a particular style of education? Been trying to follow WTM

Do you plan to homeschool high school?Not yet, not sure I'm ready to think about that yet.

Name: Alane

age of dc: My oldest is a 6th grader, 11 yo. I've got a 2nd grader and 5 yo trailing behind.

how long homeschooling?: since above mentioned child's birth :)

have you taught these ages/grades before?: No, my poor son is my guinea pig.

Do you follow a particular style of education? We are classical in most things -- using TOG and IEW.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: Dory from Nemo: "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." It's the secular version of our homeschool motto: "Let us not become weary from doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal. 6:9

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: The quote that reminds me to check my perspective:

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

~Albert Einstein (whose picture reminds me not to take myself too seriously)

I wasn't going to respond b/c I figure it is all in my sig, but I you made me really want to! :D

Many of my favorite quotes come from Einstein......currently this is my favorite: "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” I love it b/c I have proved Einstein wrong.......he obviously didn't homeschool lots of kids. :tongue_smilie: :D

For the rest:

Name: Karen

kids are in my sig, ditto to this being our 17th yr homeschooling

I'm on my 5th time through middle school.

Yes, I follow a particular method of education. My own. :lol:

Am I planning on homeschooling through high school? Yes. By the time I finally don't have a high schooler any more, I figure I will have taught high school for 25 consecutive yrs. I don't like teaching high school. I don't want to teach high school. But here I am on my 8th yr. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Name: Kai

age of dc: Two boys, ages 14 and 8

how long homeschooling?: This is our eighth year

have you taught these ages/grades before?: Yes--with the 14yo

Do you follow a particular style of education? (WTM, LCC, CM, Electic,): Sort of classical, but mostly rigorous eclectic.

Do you plan to homeschool high school?: I'm doing it now.

Any favorite quotes or wisdom that get you through the day?: No wisdom here.