Menu

Question regarding math curiculum 7th and 4th grades

Guest venivedivici

Guest venivedivici

I have been using the Abeka math series up to this point for both my 3rd and 6th grader. At times I feel that they could be more detailed in their explanations of problems, especially in the 6th grade books. I am now considering other options for next year (7th grade), and was wondering if any one out there has had similar experiances and or made similar decisions about a particular math curiculum. Thanks

Have you looked at BJU for 7th. They explain the new concepts very well as well as give ample examples for the child to follow, which helps. My so had used Abeka from 4th-6th, but we switched to BJU for 7th and 8th and he was much happier. If I remember correctly, Abeka's explanations are all on one page or page and a half, BJU will have 2 or more pages of explanations and samples.

Like you, we used Abeka from the beginning, with my oldest two. Worked great for them and they loved it. We did hit a snag with the Abeka 6 math with my oldest. She needed more help in understanding the concepts as we got further into the book. So this year, for 7th, she is doing Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra. She is doing it with a class that meets once a week, but she is doing fine in it. We haven't needed the CD's yet, but I like knowing they are there if we need the extra help. Now, my middle child is doing Abeka 6 this year and he is doing much better. Of course, math is his thing, but he has hit some days with all the percents/fractions/decimals that have required some extra help from me. (They both have basically self-taught up until this point). I wish their was more explanantion and time spent in those areas. Since I have it, he will do the TT next year. I had heard a long time ago that at some point (either 6th or 7th) Abeka begins to lose some of its strengths. All of that said, I do believe that Abeka will give them a firm foundation in math, which apparantly it has so far with those two. Hope this helps.