Menu

Anyone using Excellence in Literature with an 8th grader?

Looking ahead to 2011-2012 school year and I came across this. http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/eng1.shtml

Could anyone give me a review of this curriculum; specifically English I: Introduction to Literature?

Some specific questions I have...

Would doing something like Figuratively Speaking be beneficial beforehand if your student had no experience with literary analysis or would this be covered in the first level?

Would a student need to be experienced in writing essays in order to be able to do this program?

Do you\would you use any additional writing curriculum with this?

Thanks!

The program assumes the student has already studied literary terms or if not, that the student will spend some time studying them and gives a couple of book recommendations. The first unit covers short stories and each story does focus on a major literary area - plot, setting, etc. So, yes, figuratively speaking would be a good idea.

There is no writing instruction in this program. It is only literature. There are plenty of writing assignments and examples of finished essays for the student to review. But the student would need to know how to write an essay and continue a writing program if necessary.

I had my dd do the first four or five units of level 1 last year. From here on out I am just assigning the unit that goes along with the books I was already planning to use. I have the last three books - American Lit, British Lit and World Lit. Right now she is doing Unit one of World Lit because we are reading the Iliad and the Odyssey.

The program works well for us. I think it requires an independent, motivated student. I also read and discuss the books with her. While the program claims to be completely independent, I think a student gets much more out of the program with some discussion of the books. I really like all of the extra cultural information and I can rely on my dd following the directions and looking up everything she is supposed to. Most important, my dd enjoys it and is more willing to do written assignments not given by me.:)

I knew you could use the levels in whatever sequence you wanted but didn't realize it was so flexible as to be able to use the units out of sequence. That is very good to know. Thanks!

Hoping some others will chime in...it apparently isn't a very popular program here. I wonder why. It looks very rigorous.:confused:

My 8th grader is using it this year. Maura (from this board) set up a wiki group that he is using to discuss the books with a few other kids.

I was really concerned that the some of the books may be a little beyond him but that has turned out to be no problem. He has enjoyed all of them. He is in the middle of Jane Eyre right now and loving it.

The pace is pretty quick. There is a good amount of writing though I do occasionally let him skip one. He is my most academically oriented child, I am not sure my next one would be able to keep up the pace.

I didn't really answer your questions

Would doing something like Figuratively Speaking be beneficial beforehand if your student had no experience with literary analysis or would this be covered in the first level?

It certainly wouldn't hurt. My son did Lightening Lit 7 last year and has had only limited exposure to lit. analysis. We cover it in discussion, I look up things on pink monkey, etc.

Would a student need to be experienced in writing essays in order to be able to do this program?

My son it a bit of a natural, if unpolished, writer. We did Classical Writing Aesop A&B and a bit of Homer previously. Last year we did about half of Jump In. I view the essays he writes for Excellence in Lit as practice. By that I mean I don't expect brilliance. I expect steady improvement based on previous feedback.

Do you\would you use any additional writing curriculum with this?

We are finishing the second half of Jump In this year. There is no writing instruction included in Excellence in Lit. so if your student is in need of instruction it will have to come from elsewhere

Thanks!

Overall, I can say I am pleasantly surprised at how well it is going. It has been a nice challenge for my son that he has risen to with some amount of pride in his accomplishments.

Aimee, have you checked the high school board? I thought there was a group that was actively using it this year and that were checking in with each other.
Yes, I asked the same question over there.

I didn't really answer your questions

Overall, I can say I am pleasantly surprised at how well it is going. It has been a nice challenge for my son that he has risen to with some amount of pride in his accomplishments.

I don't know that my dd's writing would be up to speed to do an outstanding job of the essays but hearing that you allow your son some slack in that area makes me feel better. I keep forgetting that I'm the teacher and can determine what is acceptable and what is not.:tongue_smilie: I could see us using the writing assignments as wonderful teaching\learning exercises. I'm going to start using the Socratic method with her in January and am going to probably start Figuratively Speaking as well. So those two factors and not expecting greatness in the essays may push me to one side of the fence. The other side of the fence is LL7 or 8. Hmmm...decisions, decisions. Thanks for your input; its helped me add to my pros and cons list.