Menu

Opinions needed for three month trip

julikins

Allright, here's the scoop--my family is taking a three month trip to the U.S. (from overseas) for a short home assignment from mid-December to early March. I don't have room in the baggage to take all of our homeschool books, besides we're going to be spending the whole time traveling. (We're missionaries and will be covering the U.S. map from Florida to Missouri to Maine visiting family and churches.)

My children are 3rd grade and Kindergarten. I know I need to bring my k-ers phonics program. But I thought about trying to take a little break from our regular curriculum and try some fun things that are highly portable.

I think that I can do this:

Math Mammoth blue units--early geometry, measurements and U.S. money

3rd graders L.A.--Buy Sentence Family download and do that with her along with SchoolHouse Rock videos and Mad libs

With our traveling--work through U.S. States and Capitals book and maybe for "science" learn about the wildlife and plants of each region in the U.S.

Does that sound too light? It would be a mini-unit study kind of thing, then we would be returning to our normal studies after we return from our trip to the U.S. Maybe we could make a lapbook or something of the U.S. state birds, flowers, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input. I'm all ears!:bigear:

I think if you do all that, and maybe have each child keep a journal with photos or drawings of their trip, I think you'll have a full load. As homeschool families, don't we know that learning takes place all the time!?

With the traveling, you might want to check out the Junior Ranger programs at the National Parks. Those are really neat and typically don't take that long. Plus you get a badge.

Your kids are young and this is a special opportunity. While I tend to be pretty hard-nosed about academics, this is a time when I'd be very flexible and let the trip *be* school for the three months. Yes, I'd keep up with phonics for the younger one, math for both, and I'd have the older one write daily -- but otherwise, I'd just take advantage of all of the opportunities that arise during travel. Opportunities to meet with family, to explore interesting places, take in cultural events, try new things...

Your kids are little and it's only three months. Much as I think grammar is important, etc, etc, I think you stand to gain an awful lot more by reducing the academic work to the bare minimum and fully embracing all of the new and exciting opportunities along your trip.

I too agree with making the trip "school," especially if you visit National Parks and monuments, capitals, museums, etc. We traveled for a month this summer and school was basically put on hold--even though I had other plans.;) But they got so much out of the trip and it was a fantastic time for them to learn about the US. For math, you could have the older one help with the travel budget and keeping track of expenditures, miles traveled, etc. If it turns out you are behind after, you can always work more in the summer and consider this "summer vacation." Have a great time! We loved our trip this summer and every now and then the boys will mention something about it. I know they learned something.

I'd drop everything except the 3Rs & do those differently.

For maths look at getting a Spectrum math workbook at their grade level. They are fun & colorful & keep maths skills current. Or look at getting a summer skills workbook. These are designed for kids to use over the long summer holidays & review a bit in all subjects, great for keeping skills current without stressing about keeping up-to-date with a full school load.

For writing I'd have each dc keep a journal, writing in it daily. Your K-er could dictate & illustrate. A fun record of the trip would be to let each dc choose postcards along the way & dictate/write on the back. These could be punched & put on rings to make into a book.

For reading choose 2-3 books to read-aloud (or get books on cd to listen to in the car) Let your dc choose a couple new books each for independent reading & reading to each other. I've always found kids book in the States so-o-o much cheaper than overseas & the selection is amazing compared to what we find here.

Download & print out a US map. Have your dc color the states as you travel through them. Some travel with kids websites have licence plate bingo to download, great for those hours in the car traveling the interstates.

I've done trips back "home" with my 3dc many times. I've tried continuing school as normal, putting them in PS there, & just enjoying family & learning from our travels. Surprisingly they learned most from the times we didn't do school, but just enjoyed the trip. They even progressed in their "normal" school subjects without the bookwork.

JMHO,

Take as little as possible so you have maximum suitcase space for the return trip! (Can you tell I'll be doing that, too, before too long?:) Is there anything specific you just can't really do where you normally live? I'd try to make the most of those kinds of things and let the rest wait til you get back (except phonics and math).

Thanks, ladies! I really feel much better after hearing your thoughts on our trip! I had no idea how in the world we'd be able to continue "school as normal" on that kind of schedule. But, I will take your suggestions of journaling and going on lots of field trips, national parks along the way. I will also keep up with my little guys phonics and both of their math. If you have any more suggestions, keep them coming. I REALLY appreciate the input!

We just did the SAME thing with the SAME aged kids! Except we went to Italy for a month, not three :) We focused on math, writing, and Italian history and language.

Do you have an e-reader? I'd try and load that up with wonderful read-alouds focusing on different aspects of US geography and history. I would download state maps for every place we're visiting and print them out, so you can make a mini book of everywhere you've visited. I would have notebook pages pre-printed so your kids can write narration or dictation about places you're visiting, and you'll cover handwriting and some grammar with that. Currclick has a cheap state study program with all 50 states and dictation/copywork/narration in there I believe. Bring a spiral sketchbook that you can create a nature journal in, along with a book about trees and plants in the US, and voila-nature study and art all in one. I would keep up with the math, albeit at a slower pace. Download some audio books and put them on your ipod, and bring a cord that allows you to plug your ipod into your car audio system (radio shack sells them here). That way, you can enjoy great classic literature while travelling. Mad Libs are a great idea. I would also google "car schooling" for more ideas.

Have fun :) PM me if you want more advice :)

We use postcards to journal while traveling. Each place we visit (even rest-stops!), each child picks a postcard. They journal right on the back of the postcard and then I hole punch it and stick it on a binder ring. Your youngest could write one sentence. And your older child could work on a few sentences or a paragraph. Voila, you have covered english, social studies, science, ect! And you have a fab reminder of the trip complete with professional photos!

Enjoy your trip! It sounds wonderful.

I agree with the idea of an E reader or maybe an ipad. It is amazing how much you can take with you of the Ereader. Most of the WTM curriculum is available as Ebooks along with Math Mamoth. It would really save space. You could almost load up an ereader and take blank writing/drawing paper.

Julia