Menu

I just ordered a Bosch mixer and a Nutrimill!!!!

I'm VERY excited and can't wait to try them! I started out with wanting a KitchenAid stand mixer for a few years now, and after days of researching (because of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales spilling over into Canada) and help from people here, I made a different, and I think better, decision for us. It took a huge chunk of our savings (which is always up and down), but buying the two together along with the cookie paddles plus free shipping was a really good deal here in Canada. I'll just hope and pray nothing major goes wrong for awhile, lol! I'm 99% confident that this is a true investment that will pay off quickly and save us even more money in the long run. Nevermind that we will be eating more healthily with using whole grains. Boy, have I gotten an education about grain in the past week. I had no clue that our "wheat flour" that used to be labeled "whole wheat flour" had so much nutrition removed. No more. I already found a supplier for organic whole grains, right down the street from me. YAY! Thanks again to all who helped me!! Homeschool Moms are the BEST source of info. for this type of thing!

Oh, and if you have any advice regarding comprehensive books on using whole organic grains and legumes, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Maybe a popular website with good articles, or a forum?

Also, I'll be looking for advice on bulk baking. For example, I have four glass bread pans. I know I can make four HUGE loaves at a time with the Bosch - what if I wanted to do eight at a time? I can physically fit eight loaf pans in my oven, but will the ones on the bottom bake more quickly than the ones on the top rack?

What about ground legumes - what would you use these for?

What are some good books about using other ground grains, besides wheat? My standard baked items are bread, cookies, muffins, and cakes. Books on how I can vary these with other whole ground grains?

Edited by Colleen in NS

Exciting! YES, they are a great investment. I've had my Nutrimill for 2-3 years and its running great; my Bosch I bought at a yard sale and it looks like an 80s version (also works great).

For grain, you want "soft" wheat for baking/pastries and "hard" wheat (whether red or white) for yeast breads. For my bread (5 loaves), I grind 8-9 cups of wheat, 1 cup of millet and 1 cup of brown rice for the flour. We make a 5-loaf batch twice a week; just had some today. Mmmmm.

I have to leave in a few minutes, but just wanted to say congrats and enjoy!

Good for you!! I got my Bosch 17 years ago, just used it today and it's still going strong. :) This is my favorite baking cookbook:

http://www.nutritionlifestyles.com/healthyrecipesfromtheheart.htm

These ladies know how to cook.

This is a fabulous cookbook, written by a homeschool mom:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearth-Home-Karey-Swan/dp/1929125062

Both have tons of recipes geared toward a Bosch. Have fun!

For grain, you want "soft" wheat for baking/pastries and "hard" wheat (whether red or white) for yeast breads. For my bread (5 loaves), I grind 8-9 cups of wheat, 1 cup of millet and 1 cup of brown rice for the flour. We make a 5-loaf batch twice a week; just had some today. Mmmmm.

Thanks for this practical info.! Is there any reason I shouldn't use hard wheat flour for cookies/muffins/cakes?

Also, I'm thinking about how, before I cook brown rice, I ususually rinse the rice several times, I guess because I always assumed it was dirty. I rinse til the water is fairly clear. How does this work with grinding grains (or even legumes, which I always rinse before soaking and cooking)? Or do people buy grains and legumes that they somehow know are "clean?" I just never thought about this until thinking about milling.

Good for you!! I got my Bosch 17 years ago, just used it today and it's still going strong. :) This is my favorite baking cookbook:

http://www.nutritionlifestyles.com/healthyrecipesfromtheheart.htm

These ladies know how to cook.

This is a fabulous cookbook, written by a homeschool mom:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearth-Home-Karey-Swan/dp/1929125062

Both have tons of recipes geared toward a Bosch. Have fun!

I reserved a bunch of whole grain cooking library books last night. Just tried to find these, but they aren't there. Thanks for the recommendations - I will keep them in mind for possible buying! I also used "Bosch" as a search term at the library website - it didn't turn up anything. Do regular baking recipes need to be adapted somehow for the Bosch? Or will my manual tell me?

Does anyone else have any more input to my original post?

Thanks for this practical info.! Is there any reason I shouldn't use hard wheat flour for cookies/muffins/cakes?

Also, I'm thinking about how, before I cook brown rice, I ususually rinse the rice several times, I guess because I always assumed it was dirty. I rinse til the water is fairly clear. How does this work with grinding grains (or even legumes, which I always rinse before soaking and cooking)? Or do people buy grains and legumes that they somehow know are "clean?" I just never thought about this until thinking about milling.

The only reason some people don't use bread ("hard") wheat for other baked goods is because the end product will be denser. If that doesn't bother you, go for it! I always try to find a hard WHITE wheat instead of a hard RED wheat. The white is a bit lighter and fluffier than the red variety.

As for the rice, NO don't wash it before putting it in your grain mill. I've never washed my grains. I think you can ask the supplier if the grain is "clean" and you can "sort" through the grains/legumes if you want to ahead of time -- picking out anything that doesn't look like the grain/bean.

I always try to find a hard WHITE wheat instead of a hard RED wheat. The white is a bit lighter and fluffier than the red variety.

Good info. that I didn't know. Thanks!

As for the rice, NO don't wash it before putting it in your grain mill. I've never washed my grains. I think you can ask the supplier if the grain is "clean" and you can "sort" through the grains/legumes if you want to ahead of time -- picking out anything that doesn't look like the grain/bean.

So you just don't worry about its cleanliness, then? For example, I rinsed soybeans last night, and the rinse water was dirty, not just foamy. Yet I know you can't put wet things in the grain mill.

Um yeah, wouldn't want to grind up those little pebbles that you see in legumes, lol! I forgot about that - will have to remember to sort legumes before I grind.

For info/recipes about many different grains check out Grains of Truth. http://www.breadbeckers.com/store/pc/Grains-of-Truth-Donna-Spann-44p2530.htmIt's written by a homeschooling mom of six daughters who goes to my church. I have an autographed copy :001_smile:

I'm envious of your Bosch on the way. I have a small family and can't really justify buying one. Enjoy!

Mary

ETA: Oops! I just checked the Bread Beckers site and they don't ship to Canada. Amazon has it, but it is more expensive through them.

I'm envious of your Bosch on the way. I have a small family and can't really justify buying one. Enjoy!

I have a small family, and I justified a Bosch because I make large batches of bread and freeze the extra loaves!

I love my Bosch so much, I would tease that I might name the new baby "Bosch"! (or "Tivo.")

Before my Nutrimill and Bosch, the bread I made was awful! I didn't grow up in a family with a mom who baked bread, so there was so much I didn't know.

My first batch of bread (3 loaves) sank......and it was STILL the best bread I had ever made so far!!! (This was last summer).

The last batch I made had 9 loaves. I burned a few of them on the bottom, and it was STILL the best bread I'd ever made!!!

Congratulations to you, and happy baking!!!

My mom has had her Bosch for about 30 years... still working ;) Her mill she's had the same amount of time... She also grinds Oat Groats (before they are rolled) The Oat Flour is great for crepes...

:)

So, groats are oats before rolled - thanks! I saw that on a bulk price list that a friend gave me tonight (She also gave me some new flours - amaranth, buckwheat, and still-in-grain-form quinoa!!).

For whole grain baking, especially yeasted breads:

"Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" is outstanding, and as it has been out for quite a few years now you might be able to find it at the library. Start with A Loaf For Learning--it's almost like an apprenticeship in whole wheat yeast bread baking.

I ordered that book from the library yesterday! I'd read it a long time ago.

For info/recipes about many different grains check out Grains of Truth. http://www.breadbeckers.com/store/pc/Grains-of-Truth-Donna-Spann-44p2530.htmIt's written by a homeschooling mom of six daughters who goes to my church. I have an autographed copy :001_smile:

I'll have to check my library - thanks!

I have a small family, and I justified a Bosch because I make large batches of bread and freeze the extra loaves!

I love my Bosch so much, I would tease that I might name the new baby "Bosch"! (or "Tivo.")

Before my Nutrimill and Bosch, the bread I made was awful! I didn't grow up in a family with a mom who baked bread, so there was so much I didn't know.

My first batch of bread (3 loaves) sank......and it was STILL the best bread I had ever made so far!!! (This was last summer).

The last batch I made had 9 loaves. I burned a few of them on the bottom, and it was STILL the best bread I'd ever made!!!

Congratulations to you, and happy baking!!!

Yes, I only have two children, but I justified it because I've been working with food allergies for years and have done all our baking. We don't buy any baked goods. My kids are getting older, and my son's stomach is getting emptier more often. I want to be able to make more in one kitchen session than I currently can.

9 loaves! Did you bake them all at once? Do you use top and bottom racks in your oven? How does that work out for you? I'd love to be able to do 8 or 9 at once!

Congrats! You might like Peter Hartmann's book. Especially if you're reeeaaaallly into the biochem behind bread. I recently bought his book on whole grain breads and it's pretty interesting stuff.

Oooooo, I have a library book out right now that sounds like this - only the author is a Peter Reinhart. The chemistry part *is* really interesting!

I'm heading off to bed but wanted to quickly post to tell you that my Bosch worked so hard that it danced off of my island top and crashed to the floor. The case shifted a little but it works just as strong as ever. Talk about a work horse!!!

Nice to hear! And the good news is, the new Bosch has suction cup feet! :D

Oooooo, I have a library book out right now that sounds like this - only the author is a Peter Reinhart. The chemistry part *is* really interesting!

Nice to hear! And the good news is, the new Bosch has suction cup feet!

So, then, do it on a secure counter. I do mine on a movable island and the island dances while the machine is running! :D