Menu

s/o Jean's post: What is your definition of "broke"?

I've seen a lot of people in this thread say this. And my in-laws do it. When they do it, it hurts. Why? Because quite frankly, it's a lie. If one actually HAS the money to do something but is CHOOSING not to, that is NOT "broke". Why not just say the truth which is "It's not in the budget right now," or "We're saving our money for XYZ." Or just simply, "no".

If you're in the camp that says "I'm broke" when you're really just choosing not to do something, please stop and consider how that affects the people to whom you're saying it. Generally, they know you're lying, that you're not really broke. This can cause hurt feelings very easily.... especially when it's a grandparent who would rather take their vacation to Florida than spend time with their grandchildren.... every year. :confused: Or remodel their kitchen instead of coming to spend birthdays with the grandchildren.... the year after they remodeled a bedroom, which was the year after they remodeled the family room.....

Saying "I'm broke" when you're really choosing to spend your time and money on things or people other than your grandchildren (or whoever, maybe a friend), is a much bigger deal for some than just the amount of money in your bank account. It's an issue of TIME. Preferences. Priorities. Those people that you're choosing NOT to spend time with because you're "broke" (but not really) might believe you the first time, and maybe even the second time. But eventually they catch on. :thumbdown:

:iagree: I find it offensive in a "you people are clueless" way when someone, who obviously is not broke, says they are in this manner. We were able to go get much needed clothing for my husband and a few clearance maternity tops for myself last night. We have just enough to get us through the next few days till we have more money in the bank...I don't consider us broke. We've been truly broke before and I won't begin to describe it. So I find it insulting/clueless when people do this.