Menu

s/o am I the only one who doesn't use the DVD's for MUS?

kfeusse

You are not doing anything wrong, you are the one doing it right! MUS was designed for the teacher to watch the DVD then teach the student. They have since given over to the idea that many families will have the students watch the DVDs no matter what they say and made them with that reality in mind.

I wish I were a competent math teacher. In my house, Steve is the better teacher and my kids watch the video. However there are days where he concentrates so much on the why, my kids still don't know HOW to do the problems. I teach then:D. We always watch the DVDs together so I can watch the kids, pause when he asked a question and make sure they know the answer etc. I teach everything else, but with math, well, I'm glad DVD curriculum exists :001_smile:

Dd7 doesn't watch them. I went through them all before she started so I would know how to teach the lessons. Dd13 only refers to them if she gets stuck. She prefers to just read my tm for the lesson. She doesn't like me to teach her math (she's better at it than I am :tongue_smilie:)They both have excellent retention and score above 95% on all homework and tests. If you are completely comfortable teaching the material to the depth it needs to be taught and your dc are retaining then I don't think not using the dvds is an issue...that's just my .02.

What works for you, works for you....so that makes it just right!

We watch the DVD's together. We love his humour. He also has fun little hints and tips that my kids just love!!! For example, he calls the dark brown bar (8) the "chocoleight" bar because it looks like chocolate! That is just one simple thing that helped them see that the bar represents the number 8. My kids then started coming up with their own.....such as the 3 bar being pink....the 3 Little Pigs!

Anyways....we've found the videos very, very interesting and helpful. So, that's why we watch them....for those little tid bits that I would never come up with myself. I don't they are needed though...especially if someone is good at math already.

Are you reading the TM? The videos and possibly the TM are filled with what makes the program so unique. I guess maybe if you have a strong math background you would know intuitively how to teach it, but I hadn't a clue about half of the stuff in there. I find the videos fascinating. And yes, they are made for the teacher, not the student, but most families do just let the student watch it. I skip the TM though, so I might be missing a big part of the program too! I know they have some mental math in there, but other than that I have no clue.

You are not doing anything wrong, you are the one doing it right! MUS was designed for the teacher to watch the DVD then teach the student. They have since given over to the idea that many families will have the students watch the DVDs no matter what they say and made them with that reality in mind.

:iagree:

The student doesn't have to watch them but the teacher does. Math U See without the DVD's is Math U Almost Saw.

I disagree.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. The first few years, I watched the DVDs religiously. Then, I grew tired of them and just read the lesson myself and presented it to ds. On the rare occasion I could not explain it well enough (I have a degree in math), I'd have him watch the DVD to help clarify. The information in the TM is the same as on the DVD, imo.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I disagree.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. The first few years, I watched the DVDs religiously. Then, I grew tired of them and just read the lesson myself and presented it to ds. On the rare occasion I could not explain it well enough (I have a degree in math), I'd have him watch the DVD to help clarify. The information in the TM is the same as on the DVD, imo.

I think it's important to use a curriculum (especially math) as the author intended it, and Dr. Demme intends it to be used with the DVD's. The vast majority of the parents using MUS don't have degrees in math so just because you could do it doesn't mean they could, or should. I think it's great that you can but I don't think most parents have the same skills, and even those who do still may not do it justice because MUS is different.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal
off my phone and can type with more than just thumbs :-)