Menu

s/o poll re: movie renting/buying habits

If a movie is not available on Netflix/Redbox right away I...  

1. 1. If a movie is not available on Netflix/Redbox right away I...

• rent it from Blockbuster instead.
    • I buy it.
    • I just wait, it will be out sooner or later.
    • we don't do Netflix/Redbox, so it doesn't affect us.
    • I don't know, but I like answering polls.
    • other.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/movie-execs-consider-extending-28-day-release-window-for-redbox-netflix-rentals

By keeping their latest movies out of Redbox kiosks and Netflix rental queues for a while longer, Hollywood is hoping to shore up DVD and Blu-ray sales. Execs for the three home video studios that have implemented 28-day rental windows—Fox, Universal and Warners—told Blu-Con attendees that they've seen disc sales rise anywhere from 10 to 15 percent after putting the delays into place, according to Company Town.

But at least one home video chief—David Bishop of Sony—countered that the studio has "not seen any erosion" in its DVD and Blu-ray sales, despite its policy of allowing Redbox and Netflix to rent its latest titles starting the day they go on sale. (Disney and Paramount also still allow "day-and-date" DVD and Blu-ray releases for Redbox and Netflix users.)

So the poll is: do you buy movies when they are not available on Netflix or Redbox for 28 days? Do you rent it from Blockbuster instead? Do you just wait?

We just wait. There has not been anything we couldn't wait for that we wouldn't have purchased anyways (like Star Trek or Harry Potter movies)

Delaying the time something is released on Netflix just increases the liklihood that I will completely forget I was ever remotely interested in watching it.

Good point. There have been a couple of movies that we rented at Blockbuster instead of waiting. However, those are few and far between. I'm not going to buy something because I can't wait another month.

I'd even go so far as to say I'd wait until our library catalogued it. And sometimes that takes awhile. (Just last month, we started using netflix)

I will add that we don't have TV, so 1. I'm not always aware of the latest movies, and 2. there is a backlog of TV shows that I catch up on. I'm guessing that I can wait til it was out on DVD in first place, I can wait 28 days. I think that it is dumb to make us wait. I'm only likely to buy a DVD if I've already seen it, and I think wow it is THAT good, ya know?

We just wait. There has not been anything we couldn't wait for that we wouldn't have purchased anyways (like Star Trek or Harry Potter movies)

Delaying the time something is released on Netflix just increases the liklihood that I will completely forget I was ever remotely interested in watching it.

:iagree: I only buy movies I know I will watch multiple times. Today those are few. My Netflix queue is full so 28 days is not a long time in the movie sense. I have taken to watching previews on the movies, I've found some great titles I'd forgotten about that way.

We don't do Netflix but this policy wouldn't make us more likely to buy. If we want to watch a movie, we wait until it comes out on TV or has been price reduced on DVD. We've been to the movies 3 times in 10 years (never with the whole family) and have boughten about 3 movies when they first come out. I guess we did do PPV a few times before we had kids.

I voted other because we rent new releases from Amazon and send them to our Roku. So the policy does make us more likely to rent a new release, rather than just wait and get it from Netflix or Redbox, but they only get about $3 more from us. We definitely wouldn't buy a title just to see it right away!

We just wait. For under $20 a month I can watch all the movies I want from Netflix (not that I ever have the time :lol:) as well as stream a bunch of them straight to my tv . . . I don't need the additional expense of getting them elsewhere.

Plus I despise Blockbuster! Way back in the dark ages when I was in my early 20s they harassed me something awful behind a $3 late return fee. They actually called my place of business . . . for $3! I paid them and never went back. I'm sticking to it!

We rarely buy movies. It has to be super-super good and it has to be on sale for a ridiculously low price . . . even then . . . only maybe.

I only buy movies that I know we will watch repeatedly like HP. If I can't get something from Netflix, I can get it from the Blockbuster across the street. I am not going to buy a movie unless I have already seen it and know that I like it and will watch it repeatedly. I will be the next season of a tv show but I can wait an extra month for that.

We do rent a movie at Blockbuster almost every week, but I generally don't get a movie until it's off Hot New Release status. Knight&Day, Inception, and Salt are exceptions to that rule. I got K&N to watch this Saturday (saw it in the theater twice and can't wait to see it again). My youngest is the only one who didn't get to see Inception at the theater (she opted to see a movie with her friend instead). My youngest and I are the only ones who saw Salt and we are eagerly awaiting it from Blockbuster.

We used to buy a lot of movies because the kids watched them endlessly. But a lot of movies cost about $20 to rent. They are only about $4.50 to rent from Blockbuster the first year after they're released and $2.50 after that. You'd have to watch a movie quite a few times to make it worthwhile. We paid for the Blockbuster Rewards program (I think it's $15 annually) and with that we get one old movie free for each movie we rent M-W. So we always get two things when we go. We don't always end up watching the 2nd movie, but we have it available.

I don't mind waiting longer. Usually I don't even know when a movie is coming out on DVD until I notice it in a store while shopping for something else. Our Blockbuster was one of the stores closed because of the bankruptcy restructuring, so that isn't an option. We buy a few kids' movies a year, and occasionally I buy those when they first come out because they're temporarily on sale.

Edited by WordGirl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/movie-execs-consider-extending-28-day-release-window-for-redbox-netflix-rentals

So the poll is: do you buy movies when they are not available on Netflix or Redbox for 28 days? Do you rent it from Blockbuster instead? Do you just wait?

We wait and check them out of the library after we've heard what other people think of them. That usually makes us up to 2 years behind everyone else.

Dh chose to join Blockbuster instead of Netflix, so we get them from Blockbuster. He went this route because he likes the instore exchanges and large stock of foreign films. Since he's the only one who watches most movies, it's his call. I borrow from the library, but I don't watch much TV except for the Daily Show. I buy videos for the kids if it's something they love, otherwise we get a stack of DVDs every week from the library.