Menu

Please watch video - son's team needs views

Hello all - could you please take a couple of minutes to watch this video? It's part of my son's FLL team's outreach. We have our regional tournament tomorrow & it would be a great help if they could report a lot of hits.

Thanks so much.

Watched! From one FLL mom to another. :-) We survived regional (took first place, yay!) and are heading to state next weekend.

Way to go! I'm not sure we will make it to state this year, we have a very competitive region - most of the award winners @ state are in our region. Our state isn't until the 3rd weekend in January.

I never expected to know this much about macular degeneration while I was still in middle age, lol.

My dad has lost his vision due to macular degeneration. It is a great topic. What solutions did they come up with?

Good luck to the Spacebots!

Thank you - it's going to be a long day! Edited by TechWife

Way to go! I'm not sure we will make it to state this year, we have a very competitive region - most of the award winners @ state are in our region. Our state isn't until the 3rd weekend in January.

Thank you! They're a super-hardworking team who has been together for something like 5 years now, and they tend to do very well. They took 2nd at state last year and their goal this year is to win state and go to world!

I think I would lose my mind if state wasn't until January. I am so looking forward to being done and finally getting to think about Christmas, lol. They've put in over 20 hours of practice time this past week - and it's a half hour drive each way. (sorry - that was my mini-pity-party. All done!)

My dad has lost his vision due to macular degeneration. It is a great topic. What solutions did they come up with?

I agree, it's been a terrific topic! They've talked to researchers and surgeons, and took an afternoon to dissect cow's eyes. The short version: they are focusing on engineering skin cells back to stem cells (their research showed that scientists are figuring out how to "reverse engineer" skin cells backward, creating near-embryonic stem cells - and this way their solution didn't call for embryonic cells to be used), and injecting them into the diseased macula in order to allow the cells to regrow as a healthy macula.

I like the Spacebots solution, as well! The exoskeleton idea is pretty cool, especially when combined with computerized electrical stimulation. The judges should be impressed!

Thank you - it's going to be a long day!

Heh, I hear ya. Long, and loud, and exhausting, but so much fun. Be sure to send them good vibes from another team in the FLL family!

I wanted to update everyone - our counter is currently at 131! Thank you so much for the help!

The team won first place in robot performance today, so they will be going on to the state championship in January!

If you haven't watched the video - take a look!

I wanted to update everyone - our counter is currently at 131! Thank you so much for the help!

The team won first place in robot performance today, so they will be going on to the state championship in January!

If you haven't watched the video - take a look!

YAY!!! Hooray for your team - I've been wondering about you guys all day!

First place in robot performance is awesome... it is SUCH a tough table this year. Congratulations on making it to state!!

We are counting down the days until the state tournament... this time next Saturday we will be done (hard to believe!) and celebrating another successful season. I can hardly wait!

Woohoo Spacebots!! :party::party: