Menu

ChalkDust Basic Math

Roxy Roller

I am interested in finding out more information on this program. On the ChalkDust website, it says it is for 6th Grade. Is this true? I am looking for something to use for 7th, after MUS Zeta. My DD is not very mathy, and I am hoping that it might be a good review, and precursor to pre-algebra. How rigorous is it? Will she flounder?

I also understand that at one time on the boards, Pongo and others had ISBN's to purchase the sets at a lower price. I tried to do a search, but only found the ISBN's for Pre-Algebra and Algebra. Does anyone have these?

I am interested in finding out more information on this program. On the ChalkDust website, it says it is for 6th Grade. Is this true? I am looking for something to use for 7th, after MUS Zeta. My DD is not very mathy, and I am hoping that it might be a good review, and precursor to pre-algebra. How rigorous is it? Will she flounder?

I also understand that at one time on the boards, Pongo and others had ISBN's to purchase the sets at a lower price. I tried to do a search, but only found the ISBN's for Pre-Algebra and Algebra. Does anyone have these?

I don't have any experience with Basic Math, but I was able to get the non-CD labeled Algebra book, solutions manual and CDs through Amazon. Basically, Houghton Mifflin lets Chalk Dust sell the books under their own label, but they are the same exact thing that HM sells.

The Chalk Dust website says that Basic Math uses: "Aufmann, Barker, and Lockwood. Basic Math, Second Edition. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2003. Custom published from seventh edition by Chalk Dust Company."

On Amazon, I found "Basic College Math: An Applied Approach with HM Cubed Seventh Edition. [Paperback]" which MAY be the same book. It has a 2002 pub. date listed on Amazon so that would fit. The ISBN for this book is 0618226850. Alibris has a listing of books & workbooks that match, but it's hard to tell if they are really the right thing.

Found it!

Chalk Dust Basic Math is based off Houghton-Mifflin's seventh edition. The eighth edition is available and the supplements are described on the HM website via Cengage. http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?N=+16+11&Ntk=P_Isbn13&Ntt=9780547016740

DVD, Student Support Edition (ISBN-10: 0547118503 | ISBN-13: 9780547118505)

Hosted by Dana Mosely and captioned for the hearing-impaired, these DVDs cover all sections in the text. Ideal for promoting individual study and review, these comprehensive DVDs also support students in online courses or those who may have missed a lecture.

I don't see a Solutions Manual on this website but I found it on Amazon: ISBN 0618520104

http://www.amazon.com/Student-Solutions-Manual-College-Mathematics/dp/0618520104/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

The ninth edition is the most current. http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?N=+16&Ntk=P_Isbn13&Ntt=9781439046968#mainTab_5 The problem with this is that since it's new this year (pub date 2011!) you can't buy it really cheaply.

Complete Solutions Manual (ISBN-10: 0538493941 | ISBN-13: 9780538493949)

The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.

Text-Specific DVD (ISBN-10: 0538736321 | ISBN-13: 9780538736329)

Hosted by Dana Mosely and captioned for the hearing-impaired, these DVDs cover all sections in the text. Ideal for promoting individual study and review, these comprehensive DVDs also support students in online courses or those who may have missed a lecture.

I purchased this 2 years ago (I don't know if it's changed since then). Basic Math 2nd edition (by Aufmann, Barker, Lockwood)

reviews most concepts (whole numbers, order of operations, fractions, decimals, then I believe these may be new for many 6th graders, ration & proportion, percents, applications for bisiness and consumers (finding costs, percent increase/decrease, interest, etc.), Statistics & Probability, Units of Measurement both customary & metric.

It is a decent review of prior math concepts, and a light introduction to Pre-Algebra concepts. There are plenty of problems to work through, plus pre-tests, chapter reviews and chapter tests in the text.

I don't think your dd will flounder, although the format will take a little getting used to (watch the DVD, watch an example... stop and try to work the next example on your own, then start and watch how he completes the exercise, etc.) Mosley is interesting to watch, and likes his material. His explanations are thorough, and as I mentioned earlier, there are plenty for reinforcement.

Lisa Kanak