Menu

What science course would you take in 11th grade?

Apologia Chemistry sounds like an excellent choice to me. There's really no set science course that's expected for 11th grade, but the typical sequence is biology, chemistry, physics. I see you're taking biology this year, so chemistry would be a logical follow-on. You could then do Physics in your senior year. Most colleges expect to see those 3 sciences covered in high school. If you're into science and want to make your chemistry or physics course more challenging (i.e. AP level), you might consider doing both Apologia chem (or physics) books in one year--that works out to about one module a week, so it's definitely a fast pace. Just an idea to consider. Otherwise, just the first book in each subject will be a fine high school grounding in the sciences.

(We did/are doing Apologia, and it has served us well :001_smile:)

Is there a specific science course I should do for 11th grade? I was thinking of doing Apologia chemistry, but I was wondering if there was a specific course to take.

I plan in sticking with Apologia, so if that helps with choosing.

Any suggestions?

I agree that Chemistry should be the next course. Since you're sticking with Apologia, don't forget that the Virtual Homeschool Group can help you and their classes are free. Sign up early as classes fill up quickly. Chemistry is math intensive and Mrs. Moore is a great teacher. You can sign up for the live or recorded class.

I am in awe of you and your drive and determination in home schooling yourself. Best of luck!

Apologia Chemistry sounds like an excellent choice to me. There's really no set science course that's expected for 11th grade, but the typical sequence is biology, chemistry, physics. I see you're taking biology this year, so chemistry would be a logical follow-on. You could then do Physics in your senior year. Most colleges expect to see those 3 sciences covered in high school. If you're into science and want to make your chemistry or physics course more challenging (i.e. AP level), you might consider doing both Apologia chem (or physics) books in one year--that works out to about one module a week, so it's definitely a fast pace. Just an idea to consider. Otherwise, just the first book in each subject will be a fine high school grounding in the sciences.

(We did/are doing Apologia, and it has served us well :001_smile:)

I like the idea of doing two science courses in a year. I do plan on majoring in nursing, so I think doing both would be a great idea. Thank you for your suggestion!

I'll second Chemistry with the recommendation to do both books in one year if you're looking toward a science major - just one if you aren't.

Apologia has worked well for us. My boys often tutor their ps counterparts in Chem.

I do like this idea a lot actually, I didn't think it was possible to do this. Thank you! Glad to know Apologia has served your boys well.

I agree that Chemistry should be the next course. Since you're sticking with Apologia, don't forget that the Virtual Homeschool Group can help you and their classes are free. Sign up early as classes fill up quickly. Chemistry is math intensive and Mrs. Moore is a great teacher. You can sign up for the live or recorded class.

That is a great idea, thank you so much!!

I am in awe of you and your drive and determination in home schooling yourself. Best of luck!

Awww, thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them so much, you have no idea how they make me feel. Thank you!:)