Menu

Does anyone make gluten free baked goods...

from scratch (not from a mix)?

Miss Good has only been on the gluten free diet a week, but she says she is feeling better.

I'd like some gluten free recipes or even a cook book recommendation. I'm looking for food that tastes good and is made from whole ingredients, not a cookbook of fast and easy mediocre dishes.

Thanks!

I can highly recommend this cookbook and the flour mixes the author recommends: Gluten-Free Baking Classics. I wouldn't call them healthy, but they sure are delicious! (In general, you have to use high starch flours to replicate the light texture of baked goods made with wheat flour. You'll find the same is true of most commercially baked GF baked goods.) There's also a bread machine book, equally good, but quite short: Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine.

Bette Hagman makes several cookbooks as well. I use her pizza crust & muffin recipes a lot. I have a pie crust and a couple of cookie recipes that are real good, but I don't have them with me right now. I can post those on Sunday if you are interested. I have my own concoction for pancakes that one I can do from my head.

3/4 cup corn masa

1/4 cup rice flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 egg

vanilla

cinnamon

Milk

I just add milk until it is the right consistency. Often times it will get too thick after it sits for a few minutes and I a little more milk or some water to thin it back out.

The issue with most of the cookbooks and recipes is that they all call for a lot of different flours, most of which are expensive. I like the corn masa for pancakes b/c it is pretty cheap and tastes good.

Bob's Redmill brownie mix is the best browning I have come across. I know that is a mix, but it is really good.

Honestly, no, not baking. Some of the mixes or prepared baked items are very good. We stick with the ones my son likes and we use them sparingly. I have tried gf baking and really threw myself into it when my son first went gf. For me, it wound up being much more expensive in the long run because every recipe requires three or four different flours and every time I would go to try a new recipe, I'd need to buy more flour. A lot of my flours would get bugs in them before I even used much of them. The other thing is that almost nothing I made ever came out as good as the mixes, which was very discouraging.

The one thing I do bake from scratch every year is cut out sugar cookies for Christmas. I use the Gluten Free Pantry's French Bread mix as a cup-for-cup substitute for flour and then I follow the Betty Crocker recipe.

There are a few recipes I have that don't require flour that I had always used even before we went gf. One is a peanut butter kiss recipe -- pb, sugar, egg, hershey kisses and the other is a meringue chocolate chip recipe -- egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, sugar and chocolate chips. My son can't eat the pb one since he's allergic to it, but if he could, I would definitely be making that for him. If you think she would like cookies like that, let me know, and I will post the recipes.

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has any great cookbook suggestions, but, in my opinion, the Hagman ones are terrible, and I would especially avoid anything with bean flour.

Lisa

Hands down the best GF flour I have used is Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend (for savory) and Coconut Blend (for sweet). Here's the link.

http://www.glutenfreemama.com/

You can also find it on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Mama-Purpose-4-Pound/dp/B002YRBATC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291388596&sr=8-1

She has a cookbk, but you could use her flours in almost any GF recipe.

We also like Annalise Robert's Gluten Free Baking Classics, and Bette Hagman's bks. There's a ton of recipes on the web as well.

Happy baking!

:bigear: After my biopsy next week, I'll probably be looking for good recipes too.

Lisa, I would love to see your recipes.

Sure! Here they are.

Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup sugar

36 to 42 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Combine first 3 ingredients; shape into 3/4-inch balls. Freeze up to 6 months, if desired; thaw before baking. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Immediately press a chocolate kiss in center of each cookie; remove to wire racks to cool. Makes 3 dozen.

Meringue Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 egg whites

1 tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

dash salt

3/4 c. sugar

1 6 oz. package chocolate chips

Mix the first 4 ingredients with a beater until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate chips. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or you can cut paper grocery bags and line them with those). Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

(If you haven't worked with meringues before, be sure to use a glass or metal bowl -- not plastic. I also make sure to use metal utensils rather than rubber.)

These meringues come out somewhat chewy in the middle, so they are nothing like the meringues you buy in the store.

Another fun and very eye-catching idea if you can have dairy is to make mini-cheesecakes and top them with chocolate chips or cherry pie filling. I just substitute gf graham crackers for the crust. You can find recipes for these all over the web.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I made these last night and they were very good. (I overcooked them a bit though, so they weren't as fudgy as they could have been) The recipe came somewhere off the web..lol.

Brownies GF

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/3 cup olive oil – now the recipe calls for olive oil, which I’ve always used, but you can try vegetable/corn/canola oil. I would think it would work the same.

1/2 cup egg substitute (we used Costco’s egg beaters) OR you can use 2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (we use the Costco Kirkland brand, clearly marked gluten free)

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. baking powder (Clabber Girl, again, marked gf!)

1/4 tsp salt (DO NOT OMIT)

1/2 cup white rice flour

1/4 cup brown rice flour (Combine the flours together and mix, so when you incorporate into the wet ingredients, you have a good blended flour)

• Combine cocoa and oil in a small bowl until blended. Set aside.
  • Combine sugar/baking powder/salt in a small bowl and thoroughly blend, and set aside.
  • Whisk egg and vanilla for one minute in a large bowl. I get the eggs very frothy as I think that helps in the baking process. Whisk in sugar/salt/powder mixture (again, really get it airy).
  • Stir in cocoa/oil mixture and flours.
  • Pour mixture into lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
  • Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until wooden pick comes out in center clean.

Roben Ryberg's 'You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free'. I just use the rice-based recipes for almost everything. The lebkuchen recipe was a bit hit this week!

Our library has this, so I'll have to take a look at it. Part of our problem though, is that we aren't just avoiding gluten but a number of other allergens as well. Anyway, thanks for posting this.

Lisa