Menu

How to get Inception from Netflix on the day it is released?

What I do is, if the movie is due to be released on a Tuesday (which they all ways seem to be), I mail my return in on Saturday. Netflix gets the movie on Monday morning, and if the new release is at the top of my queue, it is picked to be shipped. The movie arrives on Tuesday.

I have done this on quite a few new releases and it has always worked for me.

What I do is, if the movie is due to be released on a Tuesday (which they all ways seem to be), I mail my return in on Saturday. Netflix gets the movie on Monday morning, and if the new release is at the top of my queue, it is picked to be shipped. The movie arrives on Tuesday.

I have done this on quite a few new releases and it has always worked for me.

It still has it's release date as unknown (even though I just saw and advertisement saying that it is coming out on Tuesday) and it will not let me move it from my saved DVD to the top of my que. I am holding on to a DVD to return on Saturday but it won't do me any good if I can move it to the top of my que. I have a Blockbuster right across the street from me and I am wondering if it would just be easier to run over and get it on Tuesday morning.

It still has it's release date as unknown (even though I just saw and advertisement saying that it is coming out on Tuesday) and it will not let me move it from my saved DVD to the top of my que. I am holding on to a DVD to return on Saturday but it won't do me any good if I can move it to the top of my que. I have a Blockbuster right across the street from me and I am wondering if it would just be easier to run over and get it on Tuesday morning.

I think that is what I would do. It sounds like it might be one of the new releases they are holding back.

We tried Blockbuster Online twice and it was completely horrible. After mailing our discs back it would take days for them to mail the next disc. It wasn't just new releases either. Work-out DVDs, older movies, classics... We complained many times and never saw any improvement. We often would go a week without any discs at home due to their inefficiency.

For us, Netflix is 100 times more efficient.

LOL - there's no new release that would make me want to switch to Blockbuster.

Oh no, I have a Blockbuster store across the street where I can just walk in and rent a movie. I think that is probably what I will do with this particular movie as I have already been waiting a long time to see it.

Oh no, I have a Blockbuster store across the street where I can just walk in and rent a movie. I think that is probably what I will do with this particular movie as I have already been waiting a long time to see it.

Try Redbox first, if you have one nearby. This is what we did when Toy Story 3 came out. I reserved it online first thing in the morning. It's $1 compared to $5 at Blockbuster.

Netflix has started holding new releases for 28 days before they send them out. They made some deal with the studios :glare:.

That is one reason I switched to Blockbuster Online, they send them right out, especially if you time your returned movie to hit their inbox the day before the release date.

I don't think this is true. . .I've got a new release that's supposed to arrive tomorrow (on it's release date). I haven't always been able to get them on release day, but I move the new releases to the top of my queue and have gotten at least a couple on release day.

Try Redbox first, if you have one nearby. This is what we did when Toy Story 3 came out. I reserved it online first thing in the morning. It's $1 compared to $5 at Blockbuster.

Netflix has started holding new releases for 28 days before they send them out. They made some deal with the studios :glare:.

That is one reason I switched to Blockbuster Online, they send them right out, especially if you time your returned movie to hit their inbox the day before the release date.

Inception comes out on DVD on Tuesday. However, there are some movies that will not be released in Redbox OR Netflix for 28 days (if Netflix isn't getting it, neither is Redbox and vice versa). News story here (in which the studio exec comes off sounding like a serious jerk). Nothing would induce me to switch to Blockbuster online, everyone I know who has used it has had WAY more problems than I have ever had with netflix. If you want to rent it right away, I'd rent it from the brick and mortar Blockbuster.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I don't think this is true. . .I've got a new release that's supposed to arrive tomorrow (on it's release date). I haven't always been able to get them on release day, but I move the new releases to the top of my queue and have gotten at least a couple on release day.

I don't feel like googling, but there was something to this, but I couldn't remember the conditions. DD wanted to see Avatar and we had to get it at Redbox because Netflix didn't have it, yet. There was another movie, but I can't think of the title. Certainly not all new releases, but I'm not sure the whiches or the whys.

ETA: DD told me that we received Avatar from Netflix because Redbox didn't have it, either. So, I don't know. There might be a wait there as well.

ETA again: Should have just read Mrs. Mungo's post.

Edited by Shawna in Texas
remembered something

Hm...

And as far as Netflix's popular streaming videos are concerned—you know, the 20,000-odd movies and TV shows you can watch online for free if you're a Netflix subscriber—well, at least some home video execs are worried that they're "cannibalistic" to DVD sales. Universal's Kornblau muses that "there are things we can change" about the Netflix streaming deal: "They can pay us more, or we can reduce the quality of what we give them."

In other words, think less "Star Trek," more "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Part 5." Great.

Of course, the reality is that home videoâ€â€and the movie industry in generalâ€â€is a business, not a charity, and it shouldn't come as a shock that the suits in Hollywood are keenly interested in cooking up new and exciting ways to make more money.

Still, there's a fine line between boosting revenue and killing to goose that lays the golden eggs. Company Town quotes the surprisingly wise words of Fox home video head Mike Dunn: "If you slice the pie with too many slices, no one is satisfied."

I would never have purchased all of the seasons of Dr. Who instead of watching them on Netflix. However, now that my kids are into them, that has resulted in us buying Dr. Who merchandise and will probably eventually result in buying some of the DVDs.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I don't feel like googling, but there was something to this, but I couldn't remember the conditions. DD wanted to see Avatar and we had to get it at Redbox because Netflix didn't have it, yet. There was another movie, but I can't think of the title. Certainly not all new releases, but I'm not sure the whiches or the whys.

I read the article that was posted - I had no idea they were doing that for some movies.

Inception is in my Netflix queue. It's showing a Netflix release in January 2011. As soon as it is moved out of "Saved", move it to the top.... and then do a return via Saturdays mail, with it arriving at Netflix on Monday.