Menu

Glockenspiels

Rosie_0801

Can anyone recommend any teaching materials that a mamma who doesn't know anything about anything can learn to use with Miss Nearly 4? If I give it to her and leave her to it, she won't be interested. If anyone knows of a dvd, preferably featuring children, about glockenspiels, she'd love it and it would provide exactly the right bait for her. I daresay I'm thinking wishfully there, so what else is there. I haven't found anything by googling, but that could mean that what I'm looking for doesn't exist, or it just hasn't been picked up by the search engine.

Thanks,

Rosie

Not a glockenspiel! I'm a Kindermusik educator, and we use Glockenspiel in our Young Child (age 5-7) classes, and honestly, those little bars are just plain too small for many 5 yr olds-and that counts that we don't actually use the glock regularly in class until the second half of the K year. Manipulating the mallets is also a struggle for many 5 yr olds.

For a 4 yr old, I'd suggest getting a resonator bar set, and giving the child only the bars she needs for a given song at a time. I have bellboards with velcro on them, and can attach only the bars a child is using. I've linked a small set, but I've bought several of the big, 25 bell ones used for about the same price as the 8 note one, which is nice for the future. An 8 note bellset doesn't cost very much, and it would be much easier for a young child to manage, then transition to a glockenspiel or directly to piano.

As far as a basic book, my favorite is "The Complete Music Reading Activities Kit", which teaches music reading using barred instruments or a keyboard. The downside, though, is that while it was designed as a self-teaching method, it was designed as such for about 3rd graders, and both the written instructions and the space given for writing reflect this. I've used it with much younger children than that, but it requires a lot more active teaching with little ones. I'd also suggest getting a few "8 note songbooks", because this will give a lot of different, often familiar, songs within that limited range.

Ok! No glockenspiel!

Can you please link the the Complete Music Reading Kit? (I was thinking of using Theory Time, but it looks pretty expensive.) Am I going to be able to use it with her even though I know precisely nothing about reading music? (They started teaching us in K, then dropped that in favour of singing stupid songs that insulted my 6yo intelligence and I've never managed to scrape enthusiasm together again. :rolleyes:)

Am I likely to find a dvd if I go searching? Maybe youtube, lol.

Goody gumdrops. I feel I am on the road to enlightenment, ha ha ha.

Thanks!!

:)

Rosie

Ready to use music reading activities kit

There's both a 1995 and a 2003 edition. The only difference is the CD.

I can't think of anything off hand with a DVD that is really intended for the child to use. One program which is nice for a 4 yr old that does have a DVD designed for the teacher (and which a child could watch) is ABC Music and Me, which does have the added bonus of having an audio CD that includes audio instructions. The program was written for preschool teachers with no music background to use to be able to at least offer SOME sort of music curriculum. The downside, though is that it, like a lot of programs designed for the school market, is expensive. I'm also not sure if an individual parent can purchase it or if only schools can do so. It's a solid program, which does a good job of beginning theory instruction, includes a wide variety of music, and even some basic piano skills, but I don't think it's what you want, exactly.

Not a program, but my dd at 4yo really loved the book The Story of the Orchestra, which comes with a CD. Half of the book highlights specific composers and time periods, and the other half highlights particular instruments in the orchestra (including the glockenspiel!).

Can anyone recommend any teaching materials that a mamma who doesn't know anything about anything can learn to use with Miss Nearly 4? If I give it to her and leave her to it, she won't be interested. If anyone knows of a dvd, preferably featuring children, about glockenspiels, she'd love it and it would provide exactly the right bait for her. I daresay I'm thinking wishfully there, so what else is there. I haven't found anything by googling, but that could mean that what I'm looking for doesn't exist, or it just hasn't been picked up by the search engine.

Thanks,

Rosie

Have you looked into Orff? The Orff instrument I got is fine for littles (well, for my little). I'm off to google what I used...

Okay...I winged it from a site very much like this:

http://www.classicsforkids.com/teachers/lessonplans/

After I found one of these:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10021&storeId=10051&productId=900197461&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=40774

with a few scratches at a remainer sale. We spent time doing simple "call and repeat" games and learning about sound relations.

Edited by kalanamak

I agree the bars are very small for my 5 year old. He is in the young child kindermusik class. Mostly what we worked on so far is high low end and C and A. I'm surprised though how well he is doing and how his fine motor skills aren't the best. If it was me teaching it to him though I know it wouldn't be going as well.