Menu

Please share your best smoothie/shake recipes for my Papa...

My super wonderful and cuddly Papa (grandfather) is not doing well. He's lost so much weight in the last 2 years. He needs more protein (can't chew) and although he loves milkshakes, he lives too far from McDonalds (or any restaurant) and can't drive anymore. So for Christmas we are getting him a personal blender, some vanilla protein powder, and I'm making a little recipe book for him which I will laminate. I'm looking for any of your BEST shake recipes, tried and true. If anyone has a recipe involving kelp, that would be a bonus for him. He loves his east coast kelp. :001_smile:

Thank you for sharing!

Here's my grandparents, both served in WWII. Him in the navy and her in the army. 150269_460739229053_513429053_5322834_7712241_n.jpg

Easy would probably be best for him. We like the simple 1 cup milk, 1 cup pineapple juice and 1 banana w/ a scoop of the protein powder. Very tasty and doesn't need any sweetener. Can you stock his freezer with frozen berries? Adding berries to this is also very tasty. For more protein, add an egg (contrary to popular belief, raw eggs do not cause salmonella poisoning...just wash the egg first before cracking). OR, if you can't fathom that...buy him some ground flax seed. Praying for your dear grandfather.

Buy him a Magic Bullet for the blender. It makes just the right size shakes/smoothies and is so easy to clean. He will enjoy that.

Don't have any earth shattering recipes for shakes. Sorry.

Thank you, that is exactly what we got him! :D

Easy would probably be best for him. We like the simple 1 cup milk, 1 cup pineapple juice and 1 banana w/ a scoop of the protein powder. Very tasty and doesn't need any sweetener. Can you stock his freezer with frozen berries? Adding berries to this is also very tasty. For more protein, add an egg (contrary to popular belief, raw eggs do not cause salmonella poisoning...just wash the egg first before cracking). OR, if you can't fathom that...buy him some ground flax seed. Praying for your dear grandfather.

Excellent! Thank you for the recipe and for praying! I do appreciate it! I hadn't thought of the egg or flax seed, good to know! Thanks!

Smoothies don't have to be complicated. One simple recipe is this: frozen strawberries in Magic Bullet cup, add 1 c. skim milk and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. Blend. Mmmm. I have this before and after workouts. I've been thinking of trying a few less strawberries and a chunk of banana. Or chocolate protein powder with frozen banana chunks. (And maybe a smidgen of peanut butter.) The vanilla is nice because you could use almost any fruit with it; mixed berries are good but have more seeds. I've been thinking mango-strawberry might be a good combination. The frozen bags of fruit are very convenient.

A Magic Bullet is perfect for these!

Wendi

I agree with frozen berries. Costco has big bags of strawberries for less than $2lb. They also have a frozen mix. If he is getting confused, you may want to premeasure bags of fruit so he just needs to grab a bag and add the liquid to the blender.

One thought, is to freeze cut up bananas. They are easy to add and you don't have to worry about them going bad on the counter.

You can let him know that if the frozen fruit makes the smoothie too thick, micro it for 20 seconds or so or add warm water/milk/juice.

If he really needs more nutrients that a fruit smoothie will give, he can use Ensure for the liquid.

If seeds bother him, I have a trick for that. DD12 hates seeds but likes berries. In the summer I pick lots of berries and freeze them. This year, I took some of the berries and mashed them through a sieve. Then I took the juice/pulp and froze it into little hockey pucks in a mini-muffin tin. Once they were frozen, I just tossed the pucks into a zipper bag. This way we can still add berries to the smoothie, sans seeds. :0)

I haven't tried it, but I would guess that you could do the same with yogurt, cream or any other substance. Maybe even little pucks of OJ concentrate and then he can add a cup of hot water?

I buy cans of coconut milk at Trader Joes and we add a pour of that to our smoothies.

Smoothies don't have to be complicated. One simple recipe is this: frozen strawberries in Magic Bullet cup, add 1 c. skim milk and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. Blend. Mmmm. I have this before and after workouts. I've been thinking of trying a few less strawberries and a chunk of banana. Or chocolate protein powder with frozen banana chunks. (And maybe a smidgen of peanut butter.) The vanilla is nice because you could use almost any fruit with it; mixed berries are good but have more seeds. I've been thinking mango-strawberry might be a good combination. The frozen bags of fruit are very convenient.

A Magic Bullet is perfect for these!

Wendi

Yes, I'll have to tell him the banana trick! Thank you!

I don't have an exact recipe....we put OJ in a blender and add frozen fruit(usually strawberries, peaches or other fruit mix and a few blueberries). Add a little more OJ if the blender is struggling to blend :lol: Always a hit here at our house. We add the protein after all the juice and fruit is blended.

I will put your tips in the recipe book! Thank you!

I don't have a recipe, but the picture was beautiful and your sentiment so sweet.

I hope he enjoys many delicious and nourishing smoothies.

awww, thanks!

I agree with frozen berries. Costco has big bags of strawberries for less than $2lb. They also have a frozen mix. If he is getting confused, you may want to premeasure bags of fruit so he just needs to grab a bag and add the liquid to the blender.

One thought, is to freeze cut up bananas. They are easy to add and you don't have to worry about them going bad on the counter.

You can let him know that if the frozen fruit makes the smoothie too thick, micro it for 20 seconds or so or add warm water/milk/juice.

If he really needs more nutrients that a fruit smoothie will give, he can use Ensure for the liquid.

If seeds bother him, I have a trick for that. DD12 hates seeds but likes berries. In the summer I pick lots of berries and freeze them. This year, I took some of the berries and mashed them through a sieve. Then I took the juice/pulp and froze it into little hockey pucks in a mini-muffin tin. Once they were frozen, I just tossed the pucks into a zipper bag. This way we can still add berries to the smoothie, sans seeds. :0)

I haven't tried it, but I would guess that you could do the same with yogurt, cream or any other substance. Maybe even little pucks of OJ concentrate and then he can add a cup of hot water?

I buy cans of coconut milk at Trader Joes and we add a pour of that to our smoothies.

Yes, he does drink Ensure but he detests it! He's one of those seniors that can pretend he's grumpy really well and comically. He'll casually switch his glass of Ensure with anyone else who happens to have a glass at the table. :lol:

hmmm....I'll have to find out if seeds bother him...

I have frozen yogurt before and really, really strong coffee mixed with cream in ice cube trays. I'm an iced-cap lover!

Thanks for the coconut milk idea, I hadn't thought of that!

I forgot to say, if he needs protein, using Greek yogurt instead of the milk would work; it's high in protein.

Wendi

YES!!! Thank you! Love that stuff!

Add 1/2 avocado to whatever smoothie recipe he likes - it adds extra nutrition, and it can't be tasted! Just adds some extra creaminess!

Lana

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

NO WAY!

I would never have thunk it! YAY! THANKS! :D

Don't forget eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

a little vanilla

nutmeg

1 spoonful sugar (optional - brown sugar is nice with this)

You can even skip the vanilla and it is still good.

I make cherry eggnog, too:

handful of frozen cherries

1 C milk

1 egg

(you could add sugar if you wanted but I like it without)

We make chocolate eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

1 spoonful of cocoa powder (Drostes is good if you like dark chocolate)

1 spoonful of sugar

Raspberry eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

handful of frozen raspberries (don't add too many or it will curdle the milk)

if you want, you can add a spoonful of sugar

drink with a straw and leave the last bit to avoid the seeds

Fruit smoothie

Orange juice

Yoghurt

Frozen berries

If he needs calories, he can add a scoop of icecream to any of these recipes. My youngest always does GRIN.

Milkshake:

1 C milk

1 large scoop icecream

vanilla if you wish

(you can add an egg if you want more protein)

These are the ones we like the best. Obviously, you can add chocolate and fruit together if you like that combination, or you can use blackberries, blueberries, or frozen peaches. I just don't happen to like those as well as the cherry or the raspberry ones. You make banana ones, too, but I don't like those at all. I have a lovely fruit smoothie recipe, but it doesn't have any milk or eggs or yoghurt, so it probably isn't what you are looking for.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I don't have an exact recipe, but here's one that is popular in our house:

banana

milk

yogurt

peanut butter

You could also throw in the vanilla protein powder, ground flaxseed, or other items. Leave out the peanut butter if you don't like it. Use almond butter. Whatever!

Wonderful! I love pb and so does he! PB shakes are actually my fave, so it is definitely on the list. I've never tried it with banana though... hmmm....

thanks, Dawn!

Don't forget eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

a little vanilla

nutmeg

1 spoonful sugar (optional - brown sugar is nice with this)

You can even skip the vanilla and it is still good.

I make cherry eggnog, too:

handful of frozen cherries

1 C milk

1 egg

(you could add sugar if you wanted but I like it without)

We make chocolate eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

1 spoonful of cocoa powder (Drostes is good if you like dark chocolate)

1 spoonful of sugar

Raspberry eggnog:

1 C milk

1 egg

handful of frozen raspberries (don't add too many or it will curdle the milk)

if you want, you can add a spoonful of sugar

drink with a straw and leave the last bit to avoid the seeds

Fruit smoothie

Orange juice

Yoghurt

Frozen berries

If he needs calories, he can add a scoop of icecream to any of these recipes. My youngest always does GRIN.

Milkshake:

1 C milk

1 large scoop icecream

vanilla if you wish

(you can add an egg if you want more protein)

These are the ones we like the best. Obviously, you can add chocolate and fruit together if you like that combination, or you can use blackberries, blueberries, or frozen peaches. I just don't happen to like those as well as the cherry or the raspberry ones. You make banana ones, too, but I don't like those at all. I have a lovely fruit smoothie recipe, but it doesn't have any milk or eggs or yoghurt, so it probably isn't what you are looking for.

-Nan

ahhhh thank you, Nan! He loves eggnog so he'll try those (with a little rum no doubt!) and I think I may try those as well! Thank you!

If he is older, he might be happier with an egg than protein powder. I can just see my father's face if I suggested the powder GRIN.

Did you know you can make mashed potatoes by mashing the potatoes with an egg instead of with milk? We like it this way. (Just thinking mashed potatoes might be something he likes that doesn't need chewing.)

-Nan