Menu

What do you put on your salads?

Hello to All,

I am trying to make my family eat healthier and would like to serve salads with our dinner. I really only started eating salads about 2 or 3 years ago, and really only eat them when I need to lose weight(which is now since I just had a baby:001_smile:) My salad ideas a really limited, mainly romaine and spinach with broccoli slaw and a tiny amount of dressing(i don't like tomatoes but dh does). Can anyone give me other toppings or salad ideas to include so we will have more variety. Thanks!

Peace,

Candace

Depending on what I have in the refrigerator things that I have put on a salad are (and they are not all healthy): shredded cheese, feta cheese chunks, sprinkles of parmesan cheese, sliced/shredded chicken, bacon bits, imitation crab, chicken salad, strips of deli meats, shredded roast beef, you could also do tuna salad but we hate tuna, cucumbers, onions (green or just small dices of regular ones), mushrooms, green/red/yellow peppers, shredded carrots, small pieces of celery, small pieces of broccoli or cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus ( I love this raw), green peas, chickpeas, avocado, dried cranberries, sprouts (Usually alfalfa or bean), shreded cabbage (purple/red always looks pretty), black or green olives, sliced almonds. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Basically anything goes around here.

One of my favorite salads is a little bit of feta cheese, craisins, and slivered almonds with poppy seed dressing.

A really decadent salad has chopped apples, walnuts, crumbled bacon, and golden raisins with an orange-curry dressing. Add some grilled chicken and this is a meal in itself!

In the summer I make spinach salad with sliced strawberries, almonds, and poppy seed dressing.

I also have made topped salad with mandarin oranges, almonds, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and an asian-style dressing.

If you want a broccoli salad, chop up the florets from one bunch of broccoli, a head of cauliflower, add some frozen peas and maybe some chopped red onion, then lightly dress with ranch dressing.

Other things you could add:

sunflower seeds

carrots

fresh mushrooms

cucumber slices

hard-boiled eggs

frozen peas

I found that we are more likely to eat salad when it is served in individual bowls rather than one large bowl that everyone serves themselves from. Also, don't forget a sprinkle of pepper, that seems to jazz things up for some reason. Making homemade dressings is really easy and we have found we prefer them over store-bought! Also, vary the type of greens you buy - skip iceberg, try a field green mix instead of your usual. You'll be surprised how much a different texture can change up a salad.

Lana

Thanks so much for the ideas! I don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to food. But I am always inspired and happy when we go somewhere that has a salad bar! My goal is to have my fridge/pantry stocked with great toppings and then I can have my own little salad bar. Plus I think my children would be more inclined to eat one if they build their own salad for lunch/dinner.

Thanks again,

Candace

Oh boy, what don't we put on a salad? :D

I like to mix the greens - spinach with a romaine lettuce or something - I have to have some "crunch."

Diced apples, raisins, yellow squash, walnuts, pecans, almonds, raspberries, chow mein noodles, sliced boiled eggs, cucumbers, sprouts, mandarin oranges, peas, black beans, red beans, olives, bell peppers, cauliflower....

We'll also add chicken strips, or tuna, or other meat from time to time as well.

yummmmmy!!!

Spring mix with any of the following;

tomatoes

cukes

onion

pepperchini

cheese - cheddar or feta or parm or just about any kind

chopped fuji apple

chopped pear

broccoli

cauliflower

asparagus

mushrooms

sprouts

carrots

sliced summer squash or zucchini

avacado

celery

beans - black, chickpea, kidney

nuts-almond, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts

olives - black, Spanish, calamata, most any kind really

Our salads are easy and simple. Most of the time just lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and shredded cheddar cheese. Sometimes, I add hard boiled eggs sliced. Then we all have different dressings! We love salads in this house, including the kids!! :)